Class of 2019 Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT)

Discussion in 'Basketball Recruiting Forum' started by retro44, Jan 8, 2017.

1. patcuse

patcuse Walk On

Because cortland is where he belongs. D3

2. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

if you saw them in high school you would never have dreamed tyler would have gotten his far. they didnt even win the states in class C that year.

3. MSOrange

MSOrange Former Iggy Award Winner (used to be a big deal)

Who went to Mercer? I've probably heard of him.

4. Cuse'91

Cuse'91 All Conference

I'm sorry, but this is too much of a reach...

5. Deano

Deano All American

OT - Let's get thread back on the recruit.

6. gmacfor3

gmacfor3 Walk On

He started last spring with the city rocks 16u but was playing behind Mika Adams Woods and Joe Girard, so he switched over to the NY Jayhawks on the Adidas circuit and had good success there.

81South likes this.
  7. retro44

retro44 Women's Athletic Director

Marius Janulis came from a small school just like Charles Gillete and Adonis Foyle from the Hamilton area.

8. orangefog

orangefog Voted "Best Looking Poster" 6 years in a row

There will always be outliers, but the fact is, the competition isn't as good, so typically the players won't develop as well. And, if they are good enough, the best players from the small school transfer to larger schools for better competition. I sent to a class D school that is historically very good (3 state championships) in basketball, and I don't think we had any D1 players.

9. Newhouser

Newhouser 2nd String

Cremo is already one of Albany's better players and I think he could have played higher. Bertram I am not sure of.

10. TheGov3304

TheGov3304 No Value, None

Cremo can ball no doubt

11. 721Comstock

721Comstock All Conference

So, you're saying the Cremo rises to the top? :p

MSOrange likes this.
  12. Deano

Deano All American

13. orangetom

orangetom Walk On

Yeah they lost to Lake George in the Class C final. Lake George had a kid Joel Wincowski (6'3" guard) who score like 2500+ pts in his career and broke Jimmer Fridette's Section 2 scoring records. Wincowski is now a sophomore at UMBC and at last check is averaging 1 ppg. Here's a kid who dominated Class C and apparently can't contribute at low D1.

14. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

that same lake george team lost twice to the D team that won the states that year.

the Wincowski wasnt really a legal kid, he was a NJ kid whose parents bought a house in lake george to give him an address and while he went to school there he really lived in NJ. he couldnt get on the court at his NJ school.

he was solid for Class C but undersized, had real nice range though. most C schools have a hard time handling a guard that big.

Lydons team was the 3rd best team in the State that year.

15. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

Wincowski transferred to Bard college this week

16. sususpicious

sususpicious Walk On

I don't post much, but I do have to respond to this. To say, "Wincowski wasn't really a legal kid" is just silly. He may have come from New Jersey, but he lived in Lake George year-round with his parents for three years (and played AAU ball - with the Albany City Rocks for part of the time - in the off-season in each of those years.) And prior to that, he lived in Hartford (NY) for two years, beginning in 8th grade. So he did NOT "really live in NJ." Not sure where that info. came from? While he might not have been able to "get on the court at his NJ school," he most assuredly did not simply have a mailing address in upstate New York for the five years that he lived in this region. And by the way, he also led LG to a Class C state title as a senior after doing it as a sophomore. Granted, things did not work out at UMBC, but he did have other offers from D-I schools, so I'm not sure he was that bad simply because he "only" played for a Class C team.

orange79 likes this.
  17. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

my info came from the kids in the school who knew the kid and parent and coaches from multiple schools who were upset.

from the people i talked with his parents did not live there full time.

He was a nice talent, he was by far the best player on that team that really had no business winning that first title.. never saw the 2nd set of games.

I never went looking for the kid around town so i dont know how much was made up. There was a lot of discussion amongst people in the arena that weekend and state officials who were being asked to look into it.

I was also told somethings by other people during the AAU season that spring summer so if it was all rumor it sure was being spread around by a whole bunch of people

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  18. sususpicious

sususpicious Walk On

I never heard that story, but maybe that was because I'm a teacher and a coach at the school, so they wouldn't express this directly to me. I can tell you categorically it just isn't true. I also will say that the players on that team absolutely loved Joel as a teammate - he made them all better! And as for the parents who were upset, I guess I have to ask why? Hard to believe that Lake George parents would be upset that he won us a title? Or perhaps the parents weren't from LG?

Ringostar57 likes this.
  19. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

It wasnt lake george kids who were upset you are right. It could all have been made up,, but I was told about it long before the team blew up. Before they even played a game.

from Real estate people and referees other strange places

I didnt even go around looking for information people came to me and told me stuff during the AAU season.

20. sususpicious

sususpicious Walk On

I wonder if they were still saying that three years and two championships later?

21. Deano

Deano All American

Highlights from 40 point game a few weeks ago. Got Rautins range on some of his 3's.

tee1222 likes this.
  22. Newhouser

Newhouser 2nd String

We should recruit the kid - 22 I think - who just camps out at the 3 point line with his hands up saying "I'm open".

OrangeYaGladi and Guy Fawkes like this.
  23. Cuse House

Cuse House All Conference

Spoke with a parent from Indian River (the opponent in this video). He said Bertram was a good shooter, but didn't have many other skills that would translate to high level basketball. Also would need to put on considerable weight.

24. Halfmooncuse

Halfmooncuse All Conference

Gerard is better.

25. sususpicious

sususpicious Walk On

So is Girard