Class of 2018 - SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT)

I've said this before and will say it again, reminds me a lot of Andy Rautins more and more.
I see some of that. Both have beautiful shooting form. Both can jump and are more athletic than you might think.

Lots of kids can shoot. The things that made Andya really good shooting guard in college were

1) his outstanding passing ability. He averaged 4.9 assists per game his senior season. I can’t remember a Syracuse shooting guard average more than that.

2) his outstanding defense. He got a ton of steals and deflections but his ability to stop penetration but still consistently get to shooters at the arc made him really special. He might be the best defender up top I have seen in the SU 2-3. He certainly is in my top 5.

Plus he was 6’6.

I have not seen Tyler in person but He is listed in various places from 6’2 to 6’4. If history means anything, he is probably 6’2, maybe 6’3. That difference in height can make a big impact on Tyler’s ceiling.

tyler_poy.jpg

One other thing the two have in common is a weight problem. Andy was really skinny coming out of JD and it took a couple of years for him to get strong enough to play in the Big East. Remember he hurt his knee and redshirted after his sophomore season. He was a different player when he returned for his junior and senior seasons; much stronger and tougher. It took him 3 years to get to that point. Bertham is currently listed at 160 pounds. He has a lot of work to do to be physically ready to play in the ACC.

He looks bigger and stronger than 160 in the current clips. I really like him. Stroke looks a lot like Andy but I think he has a little bit more ability than Andy at the same stage. Maybe even a better athlete as well at the same stage. Ballhandling looks better.

Could have used his outside shooting this year. Also saw where he attend his former HS team's (Cooperstown) game on Sunday at the Dome. Wonder if he ran into any of the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Good article from Tyler's first year in VT. Also note towards the end about getting calls and text messages from GMac. Hopefully we offer this kid soon.

Bertram exceeds expectations at VA
Is he on the B list? Maybe depending on any early departures and what Khalif Battle and possibly JGIII decide. Since Goodine has already verballed, it could be a case of how many guards we will need.

Is he on the B list? Maybe depending on any early departures and what Khalif Battle and possibly JGIII decide. Since Goodine has already verballed, it could be a case of how many guards we will need.

The more film I watch on this kid, the more he grows on me -- would be a terrific "get" along with Goodine.

I think it comes down to Bertram or Girard for that final backcourt spot.

I think it comes down to Bertram or Girard for that final backcourt spot.
It would seem that way but Girard is being recruited as a PG. That position scares me a little bit as we would be depending on the development of Howard Washington and Jalen Carey. If for some reason HW doesn't develop and something happens with Carey then that PG cupboard is empty. Could Goodine or KBattle play there?

It would seem that way but Girard is being recruited as a PG. That position scares me a little bit as we would be depending on the development of Howard Washington and Jalen Carey. If for some reason HW doesn't develop and something happens with Carey then that PG cupboard is empty. Could Goodine or KBattle play there?

I think that the staff envisions Bertram as a point guard, too. And Goodine is now playing with the ball in his hands, in anticipation of being a lead guard at the next level. Don't see Battle being able to play it -- at all.

I'm going to steal part of a post I made in the Isaiah Washington thread and apply it here:

I took a "We want all your guards!" approach to see what taking everybody would look like. Here are our upcoming and potential point and shooting guards for the next few years (projected graduation year next to the name)

H. Washington 21
Boeheim 22
I. Washington 22
Carey 22
Bertram 23
Goodine 23
Girard 23

If everybody stayed we'd have 7 guards in 19-20 and 20-21, which is probably too much, but maybe not considering with 13 scholarships, we would still be able to go 2 deep at the 3, 4, and 5 positions. But considering that many of the board recruiting gurus aren't very high on I. Washington and you cross him off the list, taking Bertram and Girard doesn't seem like too much to me.

They both have the pluses and minuses but if Bertram turns into Andy Rautins then no one will argue that point. Unless, of course, Girard becomes Jimmer2.
From watching their latest tape I see Bertram’s game more like Jimmer and see Girard more like Paulus

From watching their latest tape I see Bertram’s game more like Jimmer and see Girard more like Paulus

I don't know that Bertram looks that much like Jimmer to me but Girard/Paulus feels like a good comp. I also worry about the fit for Girard at Cuse vs. Duke where they will create a ton of open looks for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom