Class of 2018 - SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT)

Kid would be a great program guy for us.

We have a few guys on here who do a great job of analyzing the roster and potential roster movements over the coming seasons. I would be very interested to know if we would be balanced enough to carry Buddy, Joe, AND Tyler on the roster because I like the idea of having that many shooters as 4 year guys.

FWIW, I think Carey will only be here a year or 2, ready or not.

I also think that Goodine has the potential to develop into an elite ACC talent.

We have a few guys on here who do a great job of analyzing the roster and potential roster movements over the coming seasons. I would be very interested to know if we would be balanced enough to carry Buddy, Joe, AND Tyler on the roster because I like the idea of having that many shooters as 4 year guys.

I also think that Goodine has the potential to develop into an elite ACC talent.

At this point, I think it is imperative to add either Girard or Bertram, for the shooting ability. Bertram seems like he's probably a better system fit.

After watching Loyola (Chicago) the last couple games, Girard (in 2-3 years) looks like Custer and Bertram looks like Richardson. Both are kids that would benefit from a RS, strength training and tutelage in practice. Then down the road, look out. I love having development kids like this that will be program builders and potential zone busters, alongside the elite talent the staff can reel in. Bertram is ideal for our guard rotation with his picture perfect stroke and aggressive defense.

Last edited:

With a full allotment of ships available we could certainly carry them all on the roster but that would be in lieu of also having a few high upside, extra long athletes that JB prefers. In this scenario and assuming Carey is around in 2019 but Bazley/Brissett are gone, which the majority of folks believe would be the case, the roster would be:

Guards:
Carey
Hughes
Goodine
Washington
Boeheim
Girard
Bertram

Forwards:
Dolezaj
Moyer
2019 recruit
2019 recruit

Center:
Sidibe
2019 recruit

It seems like we would be too guard heavy unless Hughes and/or Buddy move full time to the 3 which they would seem to have the size and ability to do though not quite as long as Jimmy seems to prefer. Marek and Moyer are a perfect pairing at the 4. Sidibe would be moving into the starting lineup for the 1st time and hopefully healthy and able to avoid fouls better. I'm not completely opposed to this scenario but do not think that it's going to be realistic.

With a full allotment of ships available we could certainly carry them all on the roster but that would be in lieu of also having a few high upside, extra long athletes that JB prefers. In this scenario and assuming Carey is around in 2019 but Bazley/Brissett are gone, which the majority of folks believe would be the case, the roster would be:

Guards:
Carey
Hughes
Goodine
Washington
Boeheim
Girard
Bertram

Forwards:
Dolezaj
Moyer
2019 recruit
2019 recruit

Center:
Sidibe
2019 recruit

It seems like we would be too guard heavy unless Hughes and/or Buddy move full time to the 3 which they would seem to have the size and ability to do though not quite as long as Jimmy seems to prefer. Marek and Moyer are a perfect pairing at the 4. Sidibe would be moving into the starting lineup for the 1st time and hopefully healthy and able to avoid fouls better. I'm not completely opposed to this scenario but do not think that it's going to be realistic.
I think Bertram/Girard is an either/or proposition. If not neither/nor.

Guy I work with who coached against kid for a few years is super high on this kid

Really hopes Cuse makes a play for him

Athletic, quick release, and can create

Because he's from CNY and wants to play for Syracuse, he might project to point guard, and because some kids aren't afraid to compete.

In most cases, that's on point. But when we're talking about the coach's son and a system that doesn't play more than 2 guards on the court at once, it's easier to see why a kid would avoid this situation when other good options are out there.

I’m stunned Girard is getting better offers than this kid. Stunned.
Probably passing Lance(who was very highly rated) as all time leading scorer in NY history as a Junior(against not so great competition), seems to be playing a huge role here, but I agree...Don't think there is much of a gap between these two.

I’m stunned Girard is getting better offers than this kid. Stunned.
Could be that Girard has the football mentality and is an ultra competitor. Another version of Devo. Will appear on many "hated" lists. Bertram might be the silent assassin that many programs need coming off the bench. Hopefully a role that Buddy will fit into.

Are either of these guys as good and gritty as Devo was (still is) ?

Are either of these guys as good and gritty as Devo was (still is) ?
Not sure any human has as much moxie as Devo...still probably my favorite player to watch!

after watching him play several times on HS against very low level competition i would never have dreamed he was more than a Div III player. he was a shooter with very little athleticism the times i saw him

after watching him play several times on HS against very low level competition i would never have dreamed he was more than a Div III player. he was a shooter with very little athleticism the times i saw him

I've only seen the highlights above and his release looks a tad slow. Lots of wide open shots. Can he get off an accurate shot being face-guarded by ACC quality players? Cooney is a cautionary tale.

I've only seen the highlights above and his release looks a tad slow. Lots of wide open shots. Can he get off an accurate shot being face-guarded by ACC quality players? Cooney is a cautionary tale.
The more pertinent question is: "Will he be able to get his shot vs. ACC competition in 2 or 3 years?".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom