Class of 2018 - SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Tyler Bertram (Cooperstown / VT)

Class C varsity teams are basically Class AA freshman teams.

True. I'm not very high on bertram, but it's worth noting Lydon was at a C school until he went prep.
As with most things, there are outliers. I played at a AA school and would run into some class B and C players who started varsity, I don't know how good they would have been on my high school's JV team.

I don't think Bertram is a D1 kid but he would get major minutes for most AA teams in Section 3

I don't think Bertram is a D1 kid but he would get major minutes for most AA teams in Section 3
There was another player by the name of Seth Schaeffer that went to Cooperstown as well. Heck of a ball player and this kid is breaking all of his records. Also Schaeffer went on to play at Colgate with Adonal Folye. Seth had a nice career at Colgate. This kid will play D1 b-ball. Here is highlights from Stop DWI Tourney this year.

Last edited:
As with most things, there are outliers. I played at a AA school and would run into some class B and C players who started varsity, I don't know how good they would have been on my high school's JV team.
The total enrollment of the smaller classes A B C and D is larger than class AA.
So on average you will find better players in the smaller classes.

Obviously AA has the stronger teams because of their enrollment size. But the small schools
As a whole have larger total enrollment. Not that hard to understand.

Bertram may not be Syracuse material, but he does already have D1 teams courting him. Has visited St. Bona and at least one other low D1 school. He obviously wouldn't be putting up the same numbers at the AA hs level, but he'd still be pretty damn tough. Just scored 40 yesterday in his team's win over Class A state ranked Indian River. He plans on prepping next year and will likely have his pick amongst all the big prep schools in New England. Great kid too. Just because he goes to a small school doesn't mean he can't play.

Obviously AA has the stronger teams because of their enrollment size. But the small schools
As a whole have larger total enrollment. Not that hard to understand.
I still can't tell if this is a serious statement. AA schools have by far better teams and much better players. China has more high school students than America, do you think they produce better college football players?

T
I still can't tell if this is a serious statement. AA schools have by far better teams and much better players. China has more high school students than America, do you think they produce better college football players?
There is football in China?

jd alone has more d1 basketball players than the 12 AA schools combined.

jd alone has more d1 basketball players than the 12 AA schools combined.
JD is an outlier, and you proved my point, how many D1 players came from B, C, and D?

Your argument that 1,000 class B, C, D players are equal to 1,000 class A players is incorrect, and so is your "on average" comment. Basketball players growing up in Cooperstown, Potsdam, or Massena are not the same as basketball players growing up near Syracuse, Mount Vernon, Long Island, or Rochester. The competition they play against from ages 5-18 is different.

Where does he play AAU ball? That will ultimately show what he is capable of at the next level.

Where does he play AAU ball? That will ultimately show what he is capable of at the next level.

City Rocks with lots of board favorites. Big year for a bunch of guys on this roster.

16u EYBL

Great competition in the above video (Sarcasm). This is not taking anything away from the kid, he looks like a solid Colgate or Lemoyne type player. ACC basketball is just a different level of athlete and player.

In my opinion, Joe Cremo from Scotia (Class A) was a better overall player than Bertram and he went to Albany---No disrespect to Albany (D1 Basketball) but in comparison to ACC basketball it isn't even a conversation.

The school does not reflect whether a kid can play or not. I have seen great players from all size schools throughout the years. Remember, there was once a guy named Larry Bird - his school wasn't too big

Great competition in the above video (Sarcasm). This is not taking anything away from the kid, he looks like a solid Colgate or Lemoyne type player. ACC basketball is just a different level of athlete and player.

In my opinion, Joe Cremo from Scotia (Class A) was a better overall player than Bertram and he went to Albany---No disrespect to Albany (D1 Basketball) but in comparison to ACC basketball it isn't even a conversation.

The school does not reflect whether a kid can play or not. I have seen great players from all size schools throughout the years. Remember, there was once a guy named Larry Bird - his school wasn't too big

Yup. I played in class D(laugh all you want), we went to states, we had one guy go to Mercer on my high school team. Our girls team also beat 2 double AA schools when I was younger and in all honesty if someone is good enough at a public high school now they usually transfer to prep schools.

Last edited:

So are you trying to say Larry Bird couldn't play AA high school basketball in CNY

So are you trying to say Larry Bird couldn't play AA high school basketball in CNY

No, I am saying that great players come from all school sizes. So I was essentially defending small schools by making a reference to the fact that Larry Legend went to a very small school.

Yup. I played in class D(laugh all you want), we went to states, we had one guy go to Mercer and my high school team. Our girls team also beat 2 double AA schools when I was younger and in all honesty if someone is good enough at a public high school now they usually transfer to prep schools.

Sounds like the Hickory Hoosiers over South Bend Central...Jimmy with the crossover and dagger!

No, I am saying that great players come from all school sizes. So I was essentially defending small schools by making a reference to the fact that Larry Legend went to a very small school.
Sorry that was sarcasm for another poster

if you play class C then you need to be avg 30-40 to have a shot at Div 1 ball but it still comes down to position as well.. a 6-5 kid in class C is playing center most of the time and will be a guard small forward when he comes out for college ball so he better have developed those skills in summer ball . but some kids in these small schools play guard at that size in offense and center on D so its hard to really get a read on them unless the play high level AAU.

Lydon as a Jr was nothing to watch and not even the best player on his team as that was his brother. He developed like crazy though, obviously .

if you play class C then you need to be avg 30-40 to have a shot at Div 1 ball but it still comes down to position as well.. a 6-5 kid in class C is playing center most of the time and will be a guard small forward when he comes out for college ball so he better have developed those skills in summer ball . but some kids in these small schools play guard at that size in offense and center on D so its hard to really get a read on them unless the play high level AAU.

Lydon as a Jr was nothing to watch and not even the best player on his team as that was his brother. He developed like crazy though, obviously .
Which reminds me. Why the heck is his brother playing at Cortland when we have a Scholy available?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom