Tyler Cavanaugh and Recruitment | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Cavanaugh and Recruitment

arbitragegls

All Conference
Good article on Tyler C by ESPN insider.....seems like a good kid all around...believe he would be a good get for 'Cuse...what do you think?

By Adam Finkelstein
Tyler Cavanaugh's (Dewitt, N.Y./Jamesville-Dewitt) development as a player has followed a distinctly linear path.
As a sophomore at Jamesville-Dewitt, he proved himself to be a valuable complementary piece to the puzzle, consistently scoring in double figures and landing subsequent offers from the likes of Vermont and Siena.
During his junior season, Cavanaugh began to incorporate new dimensions to his game, handling the ball and shooting the 3 more consistently and so by the time he returned to the Albany City Rocks this spring schools like Fordham, LaSalle, and George Washington had offered.
He was far from the most celebrated prospect on the City Rock's Elite Youth Basketball League roster this year with guys like Ricardo Ledo (Providence/Notre Dame Prep), Zach Auguste (Marlboro, Mass./New Hampton), and high school teammate DaJuan Coleman (Dewitt, N.Y./Jamesville Dewitt), but according to coach Jim Hart, it was Cavanaugh and point guard Olivier Hanlan (Gatineau, Quebec/New Hampton) who were the hardest to take off the floor. Cavanaugh's recruitment grew accordingly as he became one of the most widely pursued mid-major prospects in the Northeast while also pinging the radar of a number of high-majors.
It wasn't until the final stop of the summer in Orlando that Cavanaugh finally got the chance to play a starring role. With Ledo, Auguste, Coleman, and even Hanlan no longer in action, the 6-foot-8 forward asserted himself as the leader of the team and went for 20-plus points virtually every time the City Rocks took the floor.
Once again, his recruitment raised according to the level of his play. Wake Forest became the first high-major school to offer him a scholarship last week, and Syracuse followed suit shortly afterwards. Stanford, Notre Dame, and Boston College could be the next dominoes to fall.
"I don't think any of his recruitment has been off," Hart said about the gradual escalation of interest and offers. "He's progressed at every level."
Hart knows a thing or two about high-major talent. The likes of Coleman and Ledo are just the latest highly touted prospects to come through his City Rocks program, while he's also had guys like BYU's Jimmer Fredette, who exceeded expectations upon reaching the college level.
"There are some guys with higher upsides," Hart said of Cavanaugh, "but I just have a confidence in him that he's a can't-miss guy in terms of getting it done."
While Cavanaugh now has high-major suitors, Hart says he still expects him to consider mid-majors including George Washington, Fairfield, St. Bonaventure, and others.
But no matter where he ends up, his AAU coach expects his game to continue to emerge.
"He competes, has the right mental attitude, doesn't have set-backs," he said. "That's the kind of guy he is, you know what you are going to get."

I'd say yes. He may help with landing Coleman and he sounds like a 4 year "program guy" just like Rautins, Forth, Gerry, and others have been. You need some of those guys to carry on the program in my opinion. It can't just be the coaches telling new guys how it needs to be. At 6'8" he's got great size, he's competed at a very high level through AAU, and shooting is always good to have.

if i had to bet id guess hes our first commit for 12

Notre Dame is also interested in him and Tyler attended the Cuse/ ND game at the Dome and was quoted saying that he came away from the game liking ND's style of play and could see him fitting in with their program. I think he would be a great player for Cuse to pick up.

I'm on board, just to get some consistent 3 pt. shooting out of the 3 spot; thought that's what made WJ and the '09-'10 squad so good. Still have hope for Joseph... and Southerland.

Oy, I sure hope we do not land Cavanaugh.

First, the comparison's to Rautins are way off. Cavanaugh is a stretch four who doesn't have the athleticism to play the 3. He's not remotely athletic enough to keep pace with the wings or combo forwards on top 10 teams. Instead of a Rautins comparison, Cavanaugh is regularly compared to a similar Albany City Rocks stretch 4, Will Regan, who is now on his way to UBuffalo. Cavanaugh is a impoverished man's Taylor King, taking advantage of his frame to slowly back people down and shoot over smaller high school defenders. He has no strength and limited ups, so he won't be able to repeat his post game efforts in college. Cavanaugh's game the exact type of game that doesn't translate well to the elite majors/final four showdowns.

Ten years ago, sure, Cavanaugh would be a nice upgrade over recruits like James Theus and Greg Davis, but with Syracuse's current perch atop the recruiting food chain, Cavanaugh's ceiling is too low and his game is too limited. I simply do not believe that top tier programs "need" nonathletic role players with low ceilings who are outside the top 100 prospects. Let's not deify Rautins as the gold standard for all off-the-radar recruits: he was awful for a long time, developed into a guy with a ton of pluses and some serious negatives, and never won a Big East or National Championship. The "glue guys" at UNC and Duke are McD's with fantastic athletic ability, and those same players want to come to be the glue guys at Cuse.

We only have three scholies for '12 right? Coleman, Grant . . . Cavanaugh? We could do much better, infact, every single other player we have been reportedly involved with for either '12 or '13 appears to be a more dynamic. The bottom line is that, if we pick up Cavanaugh, we necessarily are passing on an elite talent. As a plan B or C, I'm fine with Cavanaugh. But if he costs us Iverson, or Ledo, or Price-Martin, or some other big time talent, then its a huge mistake.

Oy, I sure hope we do not land Cavanaugh.

First, the comparison's to Rautins are way off. Cavanaugh is a stretch four who doesn't have the athleticism to play the 3. He's not remotely athletic enough to keep pace with the wings or combo forwards on top 10 teams. Instead of a Rautins comparison, Cavanaugh is regularly compared to a similar Albany City Rocks stretch 4, Will Regan, who is now on his way to UBuffalo. Cavanaugh is a impoverished man's Taylor King, taking advantage of his frame to slowly back people down and shoot over smaller high school defenders. He has no strength and limited ups, so he won't be able to repeat his post game efforts in college. Cavanaugh's game the exact type of game that doesn't translate well to the elite majors/final four showdowns.

Ten years ago, sure, Cavanaugh would be a nice upgrade over recruits like James Theus and Greg Davis, but with Syracuse's current perch atop the recruiting food chain, Cavanaugh's ceiling is too low and his game is too limited. I simply do not believe that top tier programs "need" nonathletic role players with low ceilings who are outside the top 100 prospects. Let's not deify Rautins as the gold standard for all off-the-radar recruits: he was awful for a long time, developed into a guy with a ton of pluses and some serious negatives, and never won a Big East or National Championship. The "glue guys" at UNC and Duke are McD's with fantastic athletic ability, and those same players want to come to be the glue guys at Cuse.

We only have three scholies for '12 right? Coleman, Grant . . . Cavanaugh? We could do much better, infact, every single other player we have been reportedly involved with for either '12 or '13 appears to be a more dynamic. The bottom line is that, if we pick up Cavanaugh, we necessarily are passing on an elite talent. As a plan B or C, I'm fine with Cavanaugh. But if he costs us Iverson, or Ledo, or Price-Martin, or some other big time talent, then its a huge mistake.

PREACH!!!!! Somebody should forward this to JB and the staff

Does that mean you agree with it Francis? I've never seen the kid play. City Rocks coach seemed to have nice things to say about him as a player with potential and puts him on the floor against elite players all the time, doesn't he?

I wouldn't mind him at the end of a 4 or 5 man class, but a commitment from him at this point would mean we missed on our other targets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom