Tyler Ennis signed and waived by Toronto | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis signed and waived by Toronto

i'm glad he seems to have made it all the way back . . . that was a devastating injury he suffered last year

Staying at home probably works well for him.

If he desires, he can sign up at an Ontario university and start to complete his degree. (at a much lower cost since he is as an Ontario born resident -- annual tuition is $6,000-$7,000))

Last edited:
Another who I will always wonder what could have been if he stayed longer

Could have been - for us?
Or for him?

For us - we don't have the debacle of Kaleb not being ready, and thrown into the fire.
So yeah, that woulda been pretty good.

For Tyler - he probably maximized his draft potential going when he did, and if anything, another year in college may have shown more of his weaknesses.
It's highly unlikely he goes any higher, and very likely his draft stock drops, as a whole new crop of "bright shiny things" comes out for him to have to compete against on draft day.

Both Tyler and Malachi left when their NBA potential upside was at its peak. They made the right decisions then.

Probably. But again, there is literally no way to know what would have happened with certainty. Would staying longer have turned Ennis from a 6 million lifetime earnings NBA player to a 60 million guy? Probably not but who knows. Could it also have turned him from a 6 million player to a guy that never gets a contract? Probably not but who knows.

Probably. But again, there is literally no way to know what would have happened with certainty. Would staying longer have turned Ennis from a 6 million lifetime earnings NBA player to a 60 million guy? Probably not but who knows. Could it also have turned him from a 6 million player to a guy that never gets a contract? Probably not but who knows.

I have to disagree with your assessment.
There was much more chance that it would turn him into a $0 player, than a $60 million player.

I have to disagree with your assessment.
There was much more chance that it would turn him into a $0 player, than a $60 million player.

My underlying point is that we really dont know.

I think its always safer to assume the kids made the right decision. That said In one of the two players mentioned above I agree he almost definitely did and in the other I think he likely (60%) did but that there was room to grow had they chose to.

I think its always safer to assume the kids made the right decision. That said In one of the two players mentioned above I agree he almost definitely did and in the other I think he likely (60%) did but that there was room to grow had they chose to.

Of course no one knows for sure 100%, just like no one knew that Johnny Flynn would have a career ending injury.

But it's reasonable to think Tyler peaked during his first year. He carried the team to s 25-0 start, the last minute buzzer beater at Pitt being shown on TV numerous times as play of the day, almost reaching sweet 16 at the tournament and winning all ACC defensive team, rookie, and second team. On the flip side there is no reason to believe the next year would have had better team success. Chris McCoullough injured early on, post season ban etc...even if he had stayed and have identical stats he would have slipped in the draft due to more clarity on his upside

We are not talking about Melo or LeBron here. These are mostly marginal NBA players who need to strike when the iron is hot. Unless a college degree is a priority, no one goes to the NBA when he is "NBA ready".

I would say CJ Fair should have left on year 3, staying one more year hurt him. Lydon would have drafted higher if he had left after year 1.

I thought Grant left too early, was I wrong. He had room to grow and he grew plenty while playing at the next level.

Last edited:
regardless of either side of the argument where nobody knows the answer, we can definitely say that SU has created quite a pipeline from college to the G league.

Of course no one knows for sure 100%, just like no one knew that Johnny Flynn would have a career ending injury.

But it's reasonable to think Tyler peaked during his first year. He carried the team to s 25-0 start, the last minute buzzer beater at Pitt being shown on TV numerous times as play of the day, almost reaching sweet 16 at the tournament and winning all ACC defensive team, rookie, and second team. On the flip side there is no reason to believe the next year would have had better team success. Chris McCoullough injured early on, post season ban etc...even if he had stayed and have identical stats he would have slipped in the draft due to more clarity on his upside

We are not talking about Melo or LeBron here. These are mostly marginal NBA players who need to strike when the iron is hot. Unless a college degree is a priority, no one goes to the NBA when he is "NBA ready".

I would say CJ Fair should have left on year 3, staying one more year hurt him. Lydon would have drafted higher if he had left after year 1.

I thought Grant left too early, was I wrong. He had room to grow and he grew plenty while playing at the next level.

I agree with most of what you said, but there are a couple of players who I believe could have developed a couple of additional skills and moved from a 2nd half of the first rounder to a lottery pick teams would be invested in and committed to trying to work into the rotation and who could have had much longer NBA careers.

I'm not going to name names because i think going any further with this line of dialogue will cast me as a general critic of players leaving early, which I am not. I think 7 of 10 of the players who leave early are probably right to do so. And the other 3 arent "wrong" in leaving early, but I do think that they may have short changed themselves.

what in life sucks about getting a free ride at an expensive university playing the game you love ?

If I handed you $6mm and then offered you a coin flip where heads --> you get $60mm but tails you give the $6mm back to me.

Do you take the coin flip offer?

Both Tyler and Malachi left when their NBA potential upside was at its peak. They made the right decisions then.
This means, both Tyler and Malachi left when they both knew they sucked and would never make it in the NBA, but coming off a college season where their team did better than expected, they made the right decision to piggyback off of that that success and thus keep hidden all their weaknesses in a blatant attempt to steal $$ from NBA teams who could clearly afford to lose it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom