Types of shots | Syracusefan.com

Types of shots

Millhouse

Living Legend
we are 65th in 3p% and 336th in 3pa
we are 162nd in 2p% and 26th in 2pa

we are ok at threes, bad at twos, and try to shoot way more twos. oooook

This is probably because we have a point guard takes 11 two point shots per game...

Look at these schools with guards who take that many 2 point shots per game with under 4.5 assists per game

The meltdowns are bad but this is not a good or efficient way to play basketball. Given our lineup, i'd rather have mintz shooting 2s than girard but what i'd really like to see is more shots by everyone else. That requires a point guard, not a combo guard, or a 5'11 small forward

Not surprising. We have 2 3-point shooters on the roster (Taylor and Bell count as half a shooter each).

Go back twenty some years and include fg%

For single seasons; from 1992-93 to 2022-23; playing Guard; requiring 2-Point Field Goal Attempts Per Game >= 10.4 and Assists Per Game <= 4.5 and 3-Point Field Goal Attempts Per Game <= 2.1 and Field Goal Percentage <= .45; sorted by descending Points

Not a great list

Not surprising. We have 2 3-point shooters on the roster (Taylor and Bell count as half a shooter each).
and why in the world do you count them as half a shooter

and why in the world do you count them as half a shooter

A couple reason but mostly because both of them on the court together is less than ideal.

The offense isn't great, but it's not bad either. We are shooting better from 2 than we have every season since 2011. The defense is the wayyyyy bigger problem.
we are still 162nd in the country in 2p%. Our opponents shoot worse than that.

Opponents shoot 34% from three against us, we shoot better than our opponents. Opponents shoot 11 more threes a game than us.

Opponents are worse at 2 pt %, 3 pt %, ft %, they turn it over more, they block less, they rebound the same, they shoot less FTs and only average 4 points a game less than us.

We take the wrong shots and it's because we have a point guard who takes too many bad two point shots and doesn't involve his teammates enough. I don't think it will work next year either. Maybe he goes pro and we get a transfer

Mintz wants to be Duywayne Wade (amy sedaris's letterman bit about his first name was so funny) and he's not

Go back twenty some years and include fg%

For single seasons; from 1992-93 to 2022-23; playing Guard; requiring 2-Point Field Goal Attempts Per Game >= 10.4 and Assists Per Game <= 4.5 and 3-Point Field Goal Attempts Per Game <= 2.1 and Field Goal Percentage <= .45; sorted by descending Points

Not a great list
Mintz’s FG% matters a lot less than his 2FG%. He doesn’t shoot many 3’s. He shoots enough for his bad 3FG% to hurt his FG% but not enough for it to matter in-game.

48% inside the arc for a guard is very respectable. More assists would be nice.

Our stats make sense, our offense relies on:

* 6’11” big with a limited offensive game and struggles to finish around the rim despite his size. He gets a large portion of shots
* a 6’2” guard who takes most of his shots from the paint. Often does lead to fouls, but if not ends up with a ton of crazy, low efficient shots.

That really is not an ideal combo for the majority of our 2P shots

we are still 162nd in the country in 2p%. Our opponents shoot worse than that.

Opponents shoot 34% from three against us, we shoot better than our opponents. Opponents shoot 11 more threes a game than us.

Opponents are worse at 2 pt %, 3 pt %, ft %, they turn it over more, they block less, they rebound the same, they shoot less FTs and only average 4 points a game less than us.

We take the wrong shots and it's because we have a point guard who takes too many bad two point shots and doesn't involve his teammates enough. I don't think it will work next year either. Maybe he goes pro and we get a transfer

Mintz wants to be Duywayne Wade (amy sedaris's letterman bit about his first name was so funny) and he's not
I agree he takes too many shots, but I laugh at a transfer. Everyone knows that is not going to happen. Interestingly enough his assist rate is equal to Jonny Flynn's freshmen year. I'm not saying they are the same player, but it's interesting.

Another part of the offense that is not talked about enough is Jesse turns the ball over as much as Mintz and Girard with a much lower usage rate.

Among ACC guards who shoot at least 5 2-pointers per game (a low bar), Mintz is 11th in 2FG%.

I agree he takes too many shots, but I laugh at a transfer. Everyone knows that is not going to happen. Interestingly enough his assist rate is equal to Jonny Flynn's freshmen year. I'm not saying they are the same player, but it's interesting.

Another part of the offense that is not talked about enough is Jesse turns the ball over as much as Mintz and Girard with a much lower usage rate.
If he goes pro, we wouldn't go to the portal?

Mintz’s FG% matters a lot less than his 2FG%. He doesn’t shoot many 3’s. He shoots enough for his bad 3FG% to hurt his FG% but not enough for it to matter in-game.

48% inside the arc for a guard is very respectable. More assists would be nice.
it's respectable but when that's your whole game...

point guards have to do more than that

this team would be alright if we had a more conventional pg

We have 5 guys making 37% or more of their 3pt shots.

If he goes pro, we wouldn't go to the portal?
Maybe. Based on past history I am not too confident. I'd guess we probably go after Starling who's not as good as Judah.

I agree. Looks like we’re waiting until 2024 for that to happen.

For the past few weeks I've been fantasizing about freshman Tyler Ennis with this team. Which isn't fair, because Ennis was probably the second-most ready PG in the history of the program behind Pearl.

We have 5 guys making 37% or more of their 3pt shots.

Volume matters. Symir isn’t a 46% 3pt shooter. Benny has shot one three per game and might not even be on the team anymore.

We have some guys who can make threes if they get left wide open or trip and fall into somehow being open on accident. That’s not terribly useful.

Volume matters. Symir isn’t a 46% 3pt shooter. Benny has shot one three per game and might not even be on the team anymore.

We have some guys who can make threes if they get left wide open or trip and fall into somehow being open on accident. That’s not terribly useful.
that's the only time the combo guard will kick it to them

There are 65 teams who shoot 36.4% or better from 3 (Syracuse is one of them) Only three of them shoot fewer threes per game than us.

Shoot more threes! they're worth more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom