Tyrell Richards | Syracusefan.com

Tyrell Richards

smartman

2nd String
A lot of the predicted depth charts seem to show Tyrell Richards as a back up. Why can’t he crack the starting D? He’s our most proven LB (along with Jones) and always seems to make plays. Are Linton, Cantin-Arku, and Jones that much better? If so, that’s exciting.

That had me scratching my head too. Very talented kid that hits like a truck and has serious wheels. Maybe Jones is picking up the new scheme more rapidly. Either way, it's a god problem to have. And I'm betting Richards stacks up better against the run ... especially against power-rush teams .. Pitt, BC, etc.

Richards will see the field. Its likely more of an issue of figuring out where between the edge and LB

I know very little about the 3-3-5. Is this the type of defense that stays fairly static with personnel? Or do they frequently sub in and out? I guess I’m wondering how important being the starter is in this case

I really hope this is his breakout season, otherwise he may end up being the linebacker equivalent of Ashton Broyld...

As Soon as Bear graduates I'm back in the game. I still help a few coaches who ask me to sign a kid or make a key introduction.
Based on your opinion how can Syracuse attract top-quality south Florida prospects with all the P5 competition? We seem to be behind UCF, USF and even FAU/FIU on occasion.

With your recruiting knowledge and contacts, why aren’t you on staff as an analyst or other recruiting type position?
Based on your opinion how can Syracuse attract top-quality south Florida prospects with all the P5 competition? We seem to be behind UCF, USF and even FAU/FIU on occasion.
Just recruit them. What people think we do & what "we do" are two different things.
Get somebody who's not afraid of a real inner city kid to recruit them.

It's real bad when a high school kid says "that coach is a meow"; "he acts like he's scared of "N word."

You can say what you want, but those kids see right through that BS.

Last edited:
Just recruit them. What people think we do & what "we do" are two different things.

It's real bad when a high school kid says "that coach is a meow"; "he acts like he's scared of "N word."

I will defer to you. I'm just a fan. Perception vs reality. As a high school student I remember my perception. Granted now as as a middle as man part of me wishes I had some of that edge but....do you think there is a certain reason we stay away vs why kids think why we stay away.

I like what the basketball Coach Beard at Texas Tech said. He’s in the talent acquisition business. We need to have the same mindset if we want to compete in the ACC. I like the direction of the O and D with unique systems on both sides of the ball. But we need ballers everywhere. I love a team w swag, like the U in its glory years. It builds excitement that future players want to be apart of.

Nick Monroe or HCDB?
I don’t know, kids loved Bobby Petrino until they didn’t. Mike Gundy too(he does have the best hair in college football though). Lane Kiffin seems to really connect with the kids but I’m not sure I’d want him at SU.

Here’s what matters to a lot of parents, whether their kid is from the inner city, suburbs or farmland: Is the coach someone they trust to mentor their son, develop his career, help guide him through the passage of big-time football, academics, and college social life and freedom? From my standpoint, not sure you can find a better man for that than HCDB. And, just a small aside, he’s also an absolutely outstanding football mind and motivator. And his assistants share those values and skills. The best coaches have a positive, lifelong Influence on a player’s life —

As Soon as Bear graduates I'm back in the game. I still help a few coaches who ask me to sign a kid or make a key introduction.

I’m sure you and Bear have had the discussion regarding a potential return for next year with everyone being granted additional eligibility.

As big a boon as you might be to our recruiting, I hope Bear sticks around another year if he isn’t going to get a true shot at being a high draft pick

Here’s what matters to a lot of parents, whether their kid is from the inner city, suburbs or farmland: Is the coach someone they trust to mentor their son, develop his career, help guide him through the passage of big-time football, academics, and college social life and freedom? From my standpoint, not sure you can find a better man for that than HCDB. And, just a small aside, he’s also an absolutely outstanding football mind and motivator. And his assistants share those values and skills. The best coaches have a positive, lifelong Influence on a player’s life —
I would agree if the parents made the decision we would be getting 5 star players. There is not a better all around coach than Dino. Unfortunately as Dino has said repeatedly the parents defer to the player to make the decision. To summarize his statement. When a child joins the military it is a family decision. When a player commits to a school that will impact his life going forward the parents tend to defer to the player.

Is Richards even dressing?
According to the Daily Orange, Richards is out. "Richards recently expressed discomfort with playing sports during a time of racial unrest in the United States.."

According to the Daily Orange, Richards is out. "Richards recently expressed discomfort with playing sports during a time of racial unrest in the United States.."
Opted out? According to his deleted tweet, it appears that may not be the case. His father liked this tweet. I'll take hints from the source, over speculation from media, until things are official.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom