Tyus to test draft... without agent ... | Syracusefan.com

Tyus to test draft... without agent ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a smart move. I had read weeks ago here or in syracuse.com that he also had a foot injury that was complicating his situation. He can go to the combine, see if that foot (or whatever) holds up, and if he can impress. If all goes well, he will go. I hope all goes well for Tyus, even though I would love to see him come back.

At least we can start a new thread, unless people are addicted to the old thread!

This is the move. If he wants to play pro ball (regardless of NBA or overseas) this is what he needs to do. Can't blame him for wanting to get that money ASAP!

Based on absolutely nothing except a gut feeling...I think we're going to have him back.

He had to shoulder so much of the load this year.
It will be easier for him to improve and shine next season.

He can always play pro ball.
He can't ever get another year in college as the Big Man On Campus, doing well in school and loving it all.

If Tyus hires an agent, can we ever trust Boeheim's intuition when it comes to his players (not counting his son) ever again?

Kid owes us nothing.
He has stayed out of trouble and played an insane amount of minutes last year.
He is such a high usage player I don’t know how he would play next year if he had his minutes cut back 5-8 per game.

I wish him well, but I hope he counts the number of players ranked ahead of him, gets a feel for the number of unknown foreign players, and listens to the right people before finalizing his decision next month.

This is just a very obvious decision by Ty. There is no downside to it. If he improves his draft stock he can hire an agent later, if not, he can still return to school.

Best of luck to Ty either way. We haven't has too many warriors that played at his level.

Brent Axe‏Verified account @BrentAxeMedia 5m5 minutes ago
Just talked to an NBA scout who said Tyus Battle isn't currently on his team's board. Says he needs a big showing in Chicago pre-draft camp. Scout also said he's smart not to hire and agent and emphasized that next year's draft is "very weak" and Tyus would go higher then.
Maybe NBA scouts/executives are finally coming to their senses with regard to Syracuse players.

*ducks*

that article sounds like he's done with school and wants to start his career. Good for him, wish him well and hope he succeeds! Once that itch is satisfied it's very hard to put yourself back into the school environment. I was more hopeful yesterday than today on his chances of coming back. He will find the 2-3 guys who convince (or con) him that he's first round material. If you want something bad enough, u find the answers to the questions that you are looking for.

If Tyus hires an agent, can we ever trust Boeheim's intuition when it comes to his players (not counting his son) ever again?
You can't trust what a kid that age says, much less trust a 2nd-hand impression of what he's thinking. No matter whose impression it is. Parents, coach...

Maybe NBA scouts/executives are finally coming to their senses with regard to Syracuse players.

*ducks*

The last sure guy who came out of here was Dion. Everyone else was a flier. With that said, what you do in the pros has no bearing on the program. Duke had an awful stretch of putting out bad pros until Kyrie and the recent batch of guys.

Kid owes us nothing.
He has stayed out of trouble and played an insane amount of minutes last year.
He is such a high usage player I don’t know how he would play next year if he had his minutes cut back 5-8 per game.
He did fine with fewer minutes as a freshman. I think he would be rested and better next year. I hope I get to find out.

You can't trust what a kid that age says, much less trust a 2nd-hand impression of what he's thinking. No matter whose impression it is. Parents, coach...
Yeah I didn't take anything from Boeheim's comments. But what I was surprised about was seeing esteemed posters here acting like Boeheim wouldn't have said it if he didn't already know. After 40 years, we should all know that Boeheim has no verbal filter when a microphone is in his face.

That is a smart move. I had read weeks ago here or in syracuse.com that he also had a foot injury that was complicating his situation. He can go to the combine, see if that foot (or whatever) holds up, and if he can impress. If all goes well, he will go. I hope all goes well for Tyus, even though I would love to see him come back.

At least we can start a new thread, unless people are addicted to the old thread!
It’s fine that he’s testing. But I really think he should ultimately come back for one more year. There’s no downside (barring a freak injury). But the upside is pushing his way into the lottery or mid first round and getting a lot more money guaranteed. This year, he could fall into the back half of the second round. This year’s draft is loaded, and next year’s won’t be. He has so many clear things that he should be able to improve on with another year in college (shooting form, rebounding, passing) that will boost his draft stock, especially in a shallow draft year, which will lead to more money and hopefully a longer pro career. He can improve his shooting percentages and efficiency next year on a better, deeper team playing fewer minutes. He could def have a Dion like season as a junior. I believe his 3 point % as a freshman was like 38%. He should be able to get that number at least up to that range or higher (40% +) next year with better shooters and the rest of the team improving. Plus he really likes school and wants to finish his degree. And he could lead the team to a title or ACC championships. So why not stay? I hope he chooses to come back in the end. But best of luck to Tyus in figuring it all out!

Hope to have him back but also hope he kills it at the combine
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.