UB rebranding itself as "New York" | Syracusefan.com

UB rebranding itself as "New York"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zibby

Starter
When DOCTOR Gross started the whole "New York's college team" thing, everyone assumed it was a shot at Buttgers, but I wondered if he was also looking to the west. It seemed to start right after UB football won the MAC championship.

Anyways...There's been lots of talk that UB is going to change its branding (just for athletics) to "New York" and it appears it's now more than just talk.

Here's the new basketball court and what's being printed on new department stationery:

BLJodXlCQAA1PuE.jpg:large

BLJ9WdxCYAAVFtV.jpg:large

I'm all for it, but I'm biased because I'm a UB alum and a WNY native (I'm also an SU alum). UB is the biggest and best of the SUNYs and could be a Big Ten-quality university if SUNY and the little brothers would get out of its way.

Lame.
When DOCTOR Gross started the whole "New York's college team" thing, everyone assumed it was a shot at Buttgers, but I wondered if he was also looking to the west. It seemed to start right after UB football won the MAC championship.

Anyways...There's been lots of talk that UB is going to change its branding (just for athletics) to "New York" and it appears it's now more than just talk.

Here's the new basketball court and what's being printed on new department stationery:

BLJodXlCQAA1PuE.jpg:large

BLJ9WdxCYAAVFtV.jpg:large

I'm all for it, but I'm biased because I'm a UB alum and a WNY native (I'm also an SU alum). UB is the biggest and best of the SUNYs and could be a Big Ten-quality university if SUNY and the little brothers would get out of its way.

lame.

Just what NYS taxpayers have been waiting for . :rolleyes: Not trying to be cruel but what a waste considering the cuts the SUNY system has been making.

As a Binghamton Alum, I believe there are some errors in the above statement.

Yes, there is an error. "Alum" should not be capitalized unless it is the first word of a sentence.

A university cannot be what I consider to be a "Big Ten-quality" university without a medical school, law school, football team and AAU membership. Binghamton's not even the best SUNY without those things; Geneseo is.

Exciting stuff! Can you please provide the address of the Buffalo football forum? Can't wait to check it out!:bat:

This is only about the 10th "name change" for "UB" that I recall. Their official name really rolls off the tongue though: "University at Buffalo, The State University of New York".

Other names:
University at Buffalo (abbreviated UB)
SUNY Buffalo
University of Buffalo
State University of New York at Buffalo

I went to grad school there and don't even know what to call it.

This is only about the 10th "name change" for "UB" that I recall. Their official name really rolls off the tongue though: "University at Buffalo, The State University of New York".

Other names:
SUNY Buffalo
University of Buffalo

buffalo dung u sounds about right

I'll worry when after the Bills leave and the Bulls actually fill up that crappy lil stadium with the bad sightlines on a consistent basis. At least suNY Oswego has a national championship in hockey and sub shop.

Stony Brook has 4000 less students but is higher ranked academically both in the World University Rankings (162 vs 198) and US News (92 vs 106).

Both have submitted proposals to SUNY to be THE flagship university of the system, and both have been ignored. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Cheers,
Neil

Yes, there is an error. "Alum" should not be capitalized unless it is the first word of a sentence.

A university cannot be what I consider to be a "Big Ten-quality" university without a medical school, law school, football team and AAU membership. Binghamton's not even the best SUNY without those things; Geneseo is.

uh oh, SUNY border skirmish.

UB students know that Stony Brook has 4000 fewer students.

Thanks for the grammatical correction on a Sunday morning after a day of bbq and drinking into the night. Oh Lord

Did the bad grammar take away from the overall point?

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for the grammatical correction on a Sunday morning after a day of bbq and drinking into the night. Oh Lord

Did the bad grammar take away from the overall point?

Cheers,
Neil
Just thought it was funny since the topic was higher education; no offense intended.

Just thought it was funny since the topic was higher education; no offense intended.

So, are you saying you only correct grammar when the topic is about higher education on a sports board, but the hundreds of other posts with bad grammar you let slide when the poster is talking sports?

Just asking so I understand the rules. ;)

And to stir the pot, of course. :cool:

Cheers,
Neil

Great comeback- says no one who's ever used the internet for more than Five minutes (low hanging fruit, if you want it).

Buffalo is a fine school, no question, but the best SUNY school? Maybe for some majors, but on average? Unlikely.

Unless you're arguing for Geneseo, there really is no argument about what SUNY is better than Binghamton.

I think it would be great if any of the 4 state schools could really emerge from the pack and become like a U of Michigan, or a U of Texas for NY state, but it just ain't gonna happen. The system was setup for education, not sports branding (for better or worse...). I lived in NY until I was 22, and I only knew about 5 people who went to Buffalo, or ever talked about the fact that they went to Buffalo. They can call the school whatever they want, but until the average person has a lot of friends and family members that went to Buffalo, they aren't getting anywhere with this plan.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but, I'm gonna ask it anyways... ;)

Is there a de facto University of New York, like Chapel Hill is the de facto University of North Carolina?

Other names:
SUNY Buffalo
University of Buffalo

Kind of like the Angels.

Buffalo Bulls of Erie County perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online