UCF - Your 2017 National Champions!!!! | Syracusefan.com

UCF - Your 2017 National Champions!!!!

A banner recognizing the perfect season is obviously a great idea, but a banner that says something that isn't true is weird.

Playing the nation's 72nd most difficult SOS, playing zero Sagarin Top 30 teams in the regular season (Ohio State played seven), and beating 3-loss Auburn in a bowl game isn't a national title resume on Planet Earth. Sorry.

Last edited:
A banner recognizing the perfect season is obviously a great idea, but a banner that says something that isn't true is weird.

Playing the nation's 72nd most difficult SOS, playing one Top 30 team in the regular season, and beating 3-loss Auburn in a bowl game isn't a national title resume. Sorry.

Yes, it is weird. I bet the house and took the points with UCF knowing auburn would be bored in this consolation game. These G5 schedules dont amount to a Natty.

All good with the banner. They beat everyone in front of them and also Auburn who beat both teams in the champ by double digits in games that seemed out of reach for most of the 2nd half.

But... giving the National Championship bonuses to the coaches (I'll note that I've only heard this from Axe radio show and havent read it anywhere - but not sure why Axe would be wrong or lie) seems a bit irresponsible and probably illegal? I assume they are state funds. And there are no more "split national champs" Pretty cut and dry contractual agreements.

Playing the nation's 72nd most difficult SOS, playing zero Sagarin Top 30 teams in the regular season (Ohio State played seven), and beating 3-loss Auburn in a bowl game isn't a national title resume on Planet Earth. Sorry.

Hey, if Alabama still recognizes 1973 as a national championship season (as that article states), then why not.

To think, just 3 years ago, UCF was bound, gagged, throw into the trunk of a car, and forced to accept the Civil Conflict rivalry with UConn. They've come so far.

Can we still call them CFU?

All good with the banner. They beat everyone in front of them and also Auburn who beat both teams in the champ by double digits in games that seemed out of reach for most of the 2nd half.

But couldn't a big "2017 14-0 PERFECT SEASON" banner accomplish that without lying about it?

Danny white is a goof. Remember UB pretending to be the NY school

Exactly. It's just a dumb gimmick like his other dumb gimmicks.

UCF had a great season and should be commended for that but let's not get stupid.

I do find it rather ironic though that UCF would trash UCONN for manufacturing some dumb rivalry trophy for their game with them and then they turn around and do this.

But... giving the National Championship bonuses to the coaches (I'll note that I've only heard this from Axe radio show and havent read it anywhere - but not sure why Axe would be wrong or lie) seems a bit irresponsible and probably illegal? I assume they are state funds. And there are no more "split national champs" Pretty cut and dry contractual agreements.

Come on stop with the transitive property talk. Those Boise teams weren't ever the best team when we had the BCS. This was a consolation game for auburn. Sure, they should get a shot with an 8 team playoff, maybe even be a 6 seed.

Alabama didn't even have a rational basis for their claim. How pathetic.

upload_2018-1-3_17-36-55.png

Come on stop with the transitive property talk. Those Boise teams weren't ever the best team when we had the BCS. This was a consolation game for auburn. Sure, they should get a shot with an 8 team playoff, maybe even be a 6 seed.

I’m not calling them national champs. I’m just fine with them doing it.

Did you read my 2nd paragraph? Pretty clearly and deliberately say coaches don’t deserve bonuses (tax dollars to boot) because they didn’t win the championship. I mean come on dude.

I’m not calling them national champs. I’m just fine with them doing it.

Did you read my 2nd paragraph? Pretty clearly and deliberately say coaches don’t deserve bonuses (tax dollars to boot) because they didn’t win the championship. I mean come on dude.

I did, but i get caught up with players and coaches making the declarations:) dude, i am not by any means getting on you. Love your passion and this has been a good argument for about 10 years now. :)

But couldn't a big "2017 14-0 PERFECT SEASON" banner accomplish that without lying about it?

It's a mythical national championship in FBS anyways, so not necessarily a lie, especially if UCF and its players, fans, etc. want to believe they could beat anyone. Who's to say they can't, that game is never played, so no one can say otherwise with any degree of certainty whatsoever.

Most of us were lied to and have lied to our children once upon a time about Santa...is that any more "weird" than a innocent sign? ;):)

Most of us were lied to and have lied to our children once upon a time about Santa...is that any more "weird" than a innocent sign? ;):)

Does that mean when these college football players turn 7 or 8, we will tell them the truth that they didn't actually win a national title?

I don't think "Alabama did it, so it's probably a good idea" has ever been a good strategy in all of history.

Unless your goal is to get under the thin skin of Alabama fans. Which is quite easy.

This is 100% to bring attention to how much the current process is tilted to the big boys.
I love this and I hope this causes change.
You beat the team that beat the "#1 and #2" team, so go on with your bad self UCF say it loud and say it proud!!!
(Also this is great how much it's "pissing" off people, not talking about anyone on this board)

You keep saying this over and over, but the best Power 5 schools would rather play Pepperoni State than face the best of the Group is 5. It works both ways.

You keep saying this over and over, but the best Power 5 schools would rather play Pepperoni State than face the best of the Group is 5. It works both ways.

Who do you consider the best Group of 5 schools?

South Florida has played Florida State, Miami and Wisconsin the past couple years, and have an upcoming series scheduled with Texas.

Boise has played lots of big time opponents in recent years like Georgia and Va Tech, and has upcoming series with Florida State, Michigan State and Oklahoma State.

Houston opened the year with Oklahoma a year or two ago and is playing them again next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom