UConn, Big East have had recent discussions about expansion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn, Big East have had recent discussions about expansion

Someone for Georgetown to beat! ;)
They had better enjoy it while they can because JHU would quickly get to the top of that league. I think they would try to get into the Ivy League first, though, and force the Ivies to really have to think it over. (Take 'Gate on the north end and JHU on the south for an even 10.)

Not a football guy but didn't they just hire Edsall again- would they do that if they were going to drop to a lower level?

I doubt UConn is interested in giving up their D-1 football program. The state has invested mega-millions in it.

In business that spending is called a "sunk cost".

You don't continue to throw good money after bad.

UConn existed for decades in the Yankee Conference before they decided to chase the big money in IA.

UConn existed for decades in the Yankee Conference before they decided to chase the big money in IA.
I have no doubt you are right about spending for money after bad, but will the state be strong enough to admit this is the right move?

It's hard to see any school going from FBS to FCS these days. Liberty U just announced today that they are upgrading.

This makes no sense. The Big East doesn't need UConn. They are a collection of Catholic urban schools where basketball is king. Why add to that a state school?

And as for UConn, it basically terminates their football program.

Oh the humanity! Good lord, every time I see a thread like this, I just thank our lucky stars that we miraculously and fortunately landed in the ACC. We could've just as easily been on the outside looking in as is UConn. By no means am I a fan of theirs, but how frigging brutal.

Still, the trend is in the opposite direction. In just the past 5 years, UNC-Charlotte and Old Dominion have changed BB conferences because they upgraded in FB.
It's a shame. There are too many programs that are losing too much money trying to be bigger in football than they are.

Oh the humanity! Good lord, every time I see a thread like this, I just thank our lucky stars that we miraculously and fortunately landed in the ACC. We could've just as easily been on the outside looking in as is UConn. By no means am I a fan of theirs, but how frigging brutal.
We were never going to be left out.

You mean like when VT took the spot the ACC wanted to give to SU?

We could EASILY be in UConn's spot.
I think one reason we were Team #13 in the ACC (first choice in the most recent expansion) is that the league screwed us over in the 2003 expansion.

This will be an unpopular opinion.

Offer UConn a ten year contract...Extendable in 5 years.

All sports but Football. Share BB revenue like ND along with ACC Network for all sports.

Guarantee 2 home and 2 away games in FB as they play as an independent.

This will be an unpopular opinion.

Offer UConn a ten year contract...Extendable in 5 years.

All sports but Football. Share BB revenue like ND along with ACC Network for all sports.

Guarantee 2 home and 2 away games in FB as they play as an independent.

That seems like a bad deal for the ACC... The football games would not be good for about half the ACC, and I can't imagine UConn jacks up the revenue enough just off of basketball to offset the fact that it makes the football conference less attractive to Notre Dame.

Also, the ACC should learn from the Big East's history - too much of the one foot in, one foot out stuff is bad for the conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom