Um...yeah we've got a problem with this Duke club | Syracusefan.com

Um...yeah we've got a problem with this Duke club

Not worried, first night for two incredibly young inexperienced teams.

Duke wouldnt have rolled nova or gonzaga like that

Last edited:
I don’t get why we should fear Duke. Are they ridiculously talented? Yes. But so are we. I’ll gladly put what we have against what they have. Zion is a beast. So is Brissett. They have Reddish and Barrett. We have Battle and Howard and Hughes and Carey. We have experience. They don’t. And we will make them shoot over a very long zone and not drive the lane for dunks and layups. As far as I’m concerned bring Duke on. They have ridiculous talent. We have a ridiculous TEAM.

I actually think they'll have some trouble against the zone defense. Young, incredibly talented players but the zone is something that can minimize their offensive dominance. Not claiming we will beat them, but I think they'll have a tough fight on their hands.

If the Duke rhetoric is like this all season, I'm going to lose my mind. They have incredible young talent and a great coach. They're good. Cool.

Kentucky typically struggles early in the season. Duke looks impressive but far from unbeatable. Experienced teams with size will give Duke a fight.

We may all be playing for second place. Yikes

Pretty clear that pay for play works

Yawwwnnn.

We might be the only team that beats them this year. We have 2 shots at them I think we win one.

This is their best 1 and done team by far Jones looks as good as his brother who won it all as a 1 and done they don't have a flaw.

I think its fun. I don't want to see those kids in the G league I won't watch and don't follow much regular season NBA maybe a dozen Celtics games is it. I'd rather get a shot at them playing for Duke.

They replaced UK as the #1 one and done team because they have a better coach and highly touted kids draft stocks haven't plummeted much UK has crushed some guys like the Harrison twins.

I don’t get why we should fear Duke. Are they ridiculously talented? Yes. But so are we. I’ll gladly put what we have against what they have. Zion is a beast. So is Brissett. They have Reddish and Barrett. We have Battle and Howard and Hughes and Carey. We have experience. They don’t. And we will make them shoot over a very long zone and not drive the lane for dunks and layups. As far as I’m concerned bring Duke on. They have ridiculous talent. We have a ridiculous TEAM.

sounds like you are saying its a pretty even matchup? I don't see it. Sure anything can happen in any one game, but looking at it objectively, they should dispense with us rather handily...and that's not a snub on us..i think that Duke team is a truly top level team, the kind of team that you dont necessarily have each year in cbb anymore

I actually think they'll have some trouble against the zone defense. Young, incredibly talented players but the zone is something that can minimize their offensive dominance. Not claiming we will beat them, but I think they'll have a tough fight on their hands.

I agree. Calipari made it easy for them as will any team that gets spread out on the defensive end. Duke has incredible talent and no one will be able to defend their top three three frosh one on one. Those three guys will be the top three picks in the draft and long time NBA players. However, our scheme slows it down, forces a half court game and eliminates their chances to run. I actually don't fear the match up with them at all. Duke is excellent as always but our style gives the best chance. Jimmy is also twice the coach as Cal so let's see what they can do against a team that actually adjusts.

Cuse!

Man the first game with Duke is over 2 calendar months away time to pump the brakes. A zillion things can change for either team between now and then (injuries/academics/girlfriend sharing/dumpsters/trips to Niagara Falls/Home Searches/Players moving back to South Carolina/etc.)! I know I am more worried about Morehead this Saturday! :rolling:

If the Duke rhetoric is like this all season, I'm going to lose my mind. They have incredible young talent and a great coach. They're good. Cool.

Kentucky typically struggles early in the season. Duke looks impressive but far from unbeatable. Experienced teams with size will give Duke a fight.

AS I said on one of the other 8 Duke threads they have their own board.

Doubt any one of dukes freshmen have ever seen anything like this zone. First time we play them I think we win. The second time will be a toss up

I mean they are going to be good but how bad do you have to be to give up 118 points in 40? Kentucky might be really bad.

My biggest take away was how bad UK looked. Duke is good but I think we match up pretty well with them. They will struggle shooting the ball from the outside against us. The 3's they made last night were standing in a spot waiting to catch the ball 3's because the defense was collapsing. I think we will do much better in that regard. My biggest concern is their rebounding but I think it will be a good game. UK played terrible defense and for much of the game ran no offense. I mean they would come down set a screen and dump it so someone who who go one on one and end up shooting a contested shot over two guys. Then there would be a run out and secondary break high percentage shot from Duke. This literally happened half the time.

Doubt any one of dukes freshmen have ever seen anything like this zone. First time we play them I think we win. The second time will be a toss up
I agree that perhaps the only thing that is going to defeat them this year is a defense like the one we play. I definitely have hope that we will be able to pull it off---with our key players playing 'lights out' on offense and our defense frustrating them for the first time this season.

But damn...

All the superlatives still fall short.

I mean, daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I felt watching Zion for the first time like I felt when I saw a young Carmelo play in a McDs game. One of those rare kids that are clearly a markedly better player than everyone around him that helps make everyone around him a markedly better player.

Then I realized Duke's got three of those guys.

Hate all we want, it'll take a miracle for them to lose. Undefeated champs is like an 8:5 play. Please bump if they lose.

I felt watching Zion for the first time like I felt when I saw a young Carmelo play in a McDs game. One of those rare kids that are clearly a markedly better player than everyone around him that helps make everyone around him a markedly better player.

Hate all we want, it'll take a miracle for them to lose. Undefeated champs is like an 8:5 play. Please bump if they lose.

Are you practicing for an ESPN job interview?

By the way, I found a replay of ESPN's game coverage last night. You just have to replace the words "Double Rainbow" with "Zion Williamson" and this is the exact audio from the game telecast:

8:5 ??!! Overreaction Wednesday is in full effect. It’s more like 50:1 for them to go undefeated.

As it stands right now according to Kenpom they will be underdogs at the dome, at UNC, and at Virginia.

That is with last nights score baked in to their projections. They are projected to go 13-5 in the ACC. We are projected to go 12-6 as of now.

Nobody ever is going undefeated in the ACC. That UK team with Towns and company had a lot easier schedule and they eventually lost to a great Wisconsin team.

Last edited:

Reminded me of UNC in the 08-09 season. They beat MSU by 30+ to start the year and then crushed them in the National Championship rematch.

Except this Duke team was much scarier. Still, a lot of basketball to be played.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom