Umass may not be playing football much longer | Syracusefan.com

Umass may not be playing football much longer

I doubt UCONN goes back to FCS. However, if UMASS packs it in I would expect UCONN to do the same several years after. This independent thing is for ND and the academies (and maybe BYU).

I'm sorry. I like a lot of you guys on here. But I have to ask the question:

Why do the misfortunes of other programs make us want to pile on?

Like Cuse football is this mighty juggernaut in football and no one can touch our socks? I don't get this.

Our program isn't that good ...and hasn't been for 20 years, and we still feel better than so many others?

I get cheering against programs like PSU and ND in football (programs that get all the recruits, and many times to our detriment) and Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and UNC basketball.

But who cares over gloating over programs that don't even touch the P5 conference? Their demise somehow makes us awesome ...or just helps us feel better about ourselves?

Forgive me. It's not just this thread. I just continue to get irritated seeing threads like it

Like Cuse football is this mighty juggernaut in football and no one can touch our socks? I don't get this.

Our program isn't that good ...and hasn't been for 20 years, and we still feel better than so many others?

I get cheering against programs like PSU and ND in football (programs that get all the recruits, and many times to our detriment) and Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and UNC basketball.

But who cares over gloating over programs that don't even touch the P5 conference? Their demise somehow makes us awesome ...or just helps us feel better about ourselves?

Forgive me. It's not just this thread. I just continue to get irritated seeing threads like it

I can only answer for myself and it’s because I hate everyone.

Misery loves company.

Misery + loneliness = despair

Misery + lots of other miserables = group hug

Not exactly, but you get the idea. It's better to have shared company than suffer alone.

I can only answer for myself and it’s because I hate everyone.
Misery loves company.

Misery + loneliness = despair

Misery + lots of other miserables = group hug

Not exactly, but you get the idea. It's better to have shared company than suffer alone.
Ha! Appreciate the honesty;)

Well said!

From a purely practical standpoint, one of the factors in our previous run of strong football success (let's call it roughly 1987 to 2001) was the misfortune of our northeastern peers. PSU was always strong, but BC, Pitt, Rutgers and Temple all experienced varying degrees of calamity, and that was good for us. Not only have those programs generally improved, but we've also seen UConn, UMass, and Buffalo add to the recruiting competition. Vanquishing those programs from our competitive set is a good thing, even if it merely nets us 1 or 2 kids that can contribute. Given our historical problems with depth, every possible players counts.

UMass should have never made the leap to 1A. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Idaho recently dropped down to FCS. UMass needs to consider doing the same.

Agree. There's a lot of basketball schools that don't have business being D 1 that would be well-served to do the same thing

Isn’t Idaho doing alright for themselves in FCS?

was there something misleading in the title thread? If you don't like this sort of thing, just move along and read a different thread. I don't think we have a need for a thread police.

UMass and UConn should both move down to the FCS and join the CAA for football only.

Over half of FBS doesn’t belong in FBS. I really wish they would have a high minimum attendance requirement. And/or create an FBS A and AA, which are both above FCS.

MAC belongs in AA
Only 1 of 12 schools is averaging over 20k and none are over 25k

CUSA belongs in AA
Only 2 of 14 schools are over 25k and none over 30k

Sunbelt belongs in AA
Only 1 of 10 schools is over 25k and none over 30k

MWC at least half belong in AA
Only 3 of 12 are over 30k and none are over 35k. Also 7 of 12 are under 25k.

AAC most teams can stay
7 of 12 are over 30k

Overall the non P5 schools who average over 35k are Cincinnati, Notre Dame, BYU, UCF, and Memphis. That is it.

FBS A should have a 30k per game quota. Currently the only P5s under that number are Washington State, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest. If there were a quota in place I think Vandy and WSU would make it every year. Wake though would need to be kicked out, which is fine by me. That would leave around 75 schools which comes out to 5 x 15. You can have the 5 champs plus 1 at large in the playoff.

UMass should have never made the leap to 1A. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Idaho recently dropped down to FCS. UMass needs to consider doing the same.
I remember Mark Whipple winning a D-1AA NC at UMass. One of my best friends from HS is cousins with Liam Coen who got a title game in FCS with UMass and is actually an offensive quality intern for Sean McVey: UMass was a good FCS football program.

Nobody there cares about football and their is no State State school pride in MA it’s a pro sports area as there are so many colleges around in New England you don’t get nonalum fans like Syracuse and most teams.
UMass should do whatever they want.
The Globe has an agenda against them.
Whenever the Globe writes on a topic I tend to go against them. They are pathetic. I used to be a diehard Red Sox fan the Globe and John Henry have caused me to care less about them.
Shank Shaughnessy is the worst though.