Unassailable proof that we are "NY's College Team"... | Syracusefan.com

Unassailable proof that we are "NY's College Team"...

cto

Administrator
My cousin is an elected official in a NYC suburb. This week she attended a conference of the "NY State Association of Towns" in New York City. Attendees (12oo of them) were from throughout NY... from Montauk to Niagara Falls. I received this email from her tonight:

"Before the lectures we had a breakfast, and the speaker was Senator Chuck Schumer. He began with some personal remarks and mentioned he was not known as the best dressed, but he sometimes dressed with a theme. Then he pointed to his tie and said,"Go Orange!" Everyone laughed and clapped. Then he said -- and received a huge round of applause for it -- that Syracuse had the best basketball coach ever! "

This is coming from a US Senator from Brooklyn who went to Harvard!

Last edited:
That was a politically smart thing for him to say! :)

But it really is weird that NY State doesn't have a big central university. Since I am an immigrant to this state (Wisconsin via North Carolina) I have no idea how that happened. How come NY doesn't have a big school like Wis., Mich, etc?

My cousin is an elected official in a NYC suburb. This week she attended a conference of the "NY State Association of Towns" in New York City. Attendees were from throughout NY... from Montauk to Niagara Falls. I received this email from her tonight:

"Before the lectures we had a breakfast, and the speaker was Senator Chuck Schumer. He began with some personal remarks and mentioned he was not known as the best dressed, but he sometimes dressed with a theme. Then he pointed to his tie and said,"Go Orange!" Everyone laughed and clapped. Then he said -- and received a huge round of applause for it -- that Syracuse had the best basketball coach ever! "

This is coming from a US Senator from Brooklyn!

This is only semi-related, but I love Chuck. He is such a stereotypical politician and doesn't even try to hide it. For some reason I respect that a hell of a lot more than the guys who try to act like they aren't your typical politicians.

This isn't even debatable anymore. Cuse has been NYs (and NYCs) team for some time now. NYers as a whole don't want to adopt a team from out of state (Connecticut, NJ), and the NYC Cuse contingency is and has always been strong. Add that Cuse is really the only "national" squad in NY (St John's is really just a 'local' team now supported by alumni and some diehards), there is just much more interest in the Orange. I'm from the tri-sate, and I know. Sure, it's not like it is in CNY, but it's strong enough. Part of that is also due to the fact that NYC is not a huge college sports town, and Cuse is and has been the biggest draw.

But it really is weird that NY State doesn't have a big central university. Since I am an immigrant to this state (Wisconsin via North Carolina) I have no idea how that happened. How come NY doesn't have a big school like Wis., Mich, etc?
Those big state universities are all land-grant entities. NY never did a land-grant thing. It just founded a bunch of teacher colleges in places like New Paltz and Oneonta (which have since grown into the SUNY system). All of the states outside the original 13 have land grant (state) universities... as do most of the original 13 (e.g, Penn State). NY is just an anomaly. In fact, I can't think of another state that does not have a "University of....." Even little Rhode Island and Delaware have them.

Last edited:
Interesting - from wikipedia. NY did get a land grant.

New York
Cornell is a private university with four statutory colleges supported by the State of New York that fulfill its land-grant mission.

The original land-grant designee was the People's College in Havana, New York, from 1863 to 1865.[
Interesting. I know Cornell has some state schools there... (e.g., Veterinary Medicine, Agriculture and Labor Relations)... but Syracuse had a Medical School... which was part of SU until we gave it to the state.

Interesting. I know Cornell has some state schools there... (e.g., Veterinary Medicine, Agriculture and Labor Relations)... but Syracuse had a Medical School... which was part of SU until we gave it to the state.
Interesting point considering Cornell's medical school and law school are both private as well. But they do give in-state tuition to NYS residents who attend the state school colleges.

Interesting point considering Cornell's medical school and law school are both private as well. But they do give in-state tuition to NYS residents who attend the state school colleges.
Yes, my son did that. Thank god! Never could have afforded Cornell otherwise.

NY is just an anomaly. In fact, I can't think of another state that does not have a "University of..." Even little Rhode Island and Delaware have them.
Rutgers

And the disgusting part is they're proud to not have the name of the state and are openly proud of not giving preference to in-state students for admission. That school just makes it so easy to dislike them.

Reactions: cto
The only thing close to SUNY is the Cal system, although the Cal system is far and away superior in an academic and athletic standpoint.

The only thing close to SUNY is the Cal system, although the Cal system is far and away superior in an academic and athletic standpoint.
But there is a University of California (Berkley) and all those other University of Cal at (UCLA, Irvine, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz etc). It's a real state system

Last edited:
SU has a similar statutory relationship with ESF...

Ahem.

Similar, though Cornell's Ag school is, by my understanding, actually part of Cornell. ESF and SU are separate institutions that share some resources and facilities, but have their own individual administrations.

When people ask where I did my undergrad, I don't say Syracuse. Though it would certainly be simpler to do so.

But there is a University of California (Berkley) and all those other University of Cal at (UCLA, Irvine, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz etc). It's a real state system

Yes but just like SUNY, Berkeley is not a flagship. There is no flagship, it's a tier system just like SUNY (though with different administrative arms unlike SUNY) and it is just as real a state system as SUNY.

Yes but just like SUNY, Berkeley is not a flagship. There is no flagship, it's a tier system just like SUNY (though with different administrative arms unlike SUNY) and it is just as real a state system as SUNY.

This is correct, except it's the University of California system, the Cal State University system, and the California community college system.

CTO touched on it, but SUNY was never supposed to be what it has become. I'm sure a lot of SUNY supporters would argue that SUNY is underfunded but I think that Albany should slash their funding. They were never supposed to be good enough to compete for top students with the private colleges and universities that grace the landscape of New York.

Ahem.

Similar, though Cornell's Ag school is, by my understanding, actually part of Cornell. ESF and SU are separate institutions that share some resources and facilities, but have their own individual administrations.

When people ask where I did my undergrad, I don't say Syracuse. Though it would certainly be simpler to do so.

"Ahem?"

Did I offend you by stating fact?

ESF is an autonomous institution, administratively separate from SU, while resources, facilities, and some infrastructure are shared. The two schools share a common Schedule of Classes; students at both institutions may take courses at the other, and degrees from ESF bear the Syracuse University seal along with the State University of New York. A number of concurrent degree programs and certificates are offered between the schools, as well. The college receives an annual appropriation as part of the SUNY budget and the state builds and maintains all of the college's educational facilities. The state has similar relationships with five statutory colleges that are at Alfred University andCornell University.

Did you take only classes at ESF or a bunch of core classes or electives at SU as well? Does your degree have both the SUNY and SU logo on it?

Those big state universities are all land-grant entities. NY never did a land-grant thing. It just founded a bunch of teacher colleges in places like New Paltz and Oneonta (which have since grown into the SUNY system). All of the states outside the original 13 have land grant (state) universities... as do most of the original 13 (e.g, Penn State). NY is just an anomaly. In fact, I can't think of another state that does not have a "University of..." Even little Rhode Island and Delaware have them.

Actually, Cornell is the land grant college of New York State.

Many of the college students I know who had the grades to attend very good liberal arts schools are going to SUNY schools instead because of the finances. They are getting good educations that are preparing them well for their professional lives. The SUNY schools are filling a void. Small liberal arts colleges have priced themselves out of the market for these really talented students. There are going to be some radical changes for undergraduate institutions in the years ahead: a lot of colleges are going to close, or significantly change their missions.

"Ahem?"

Did I offend you by stating fact?

Did you take only classes at ESF or a bunch of core classes or electives at SU as well? Does your degree have both the SUNY and SU logo on it?

Oh, man, now I not only have to explain my throat-clearing, but I've got to dig out my diploma as well? No discussion is worth all that. ;)

More importantly, did slidingdown have an SU ID, have access to SU student tickets and root for SU's teams? :)

Those big state universities are all land-grant entities. NY never did a land-grant thing. It just founded a bunch of teacher colleges in places like New Paltz and Oneonta (which have since grown into the SUNY system). All of the states outside the original 13 have land grant (state) universities... as do most of the original 13 (e.g, Penn State). NY is just an anomaly. In fact, I can't think of another state that does not have a "University of..." Even little Rhode Island and Delaware have them.
Does Rutgers count as the big one for New Jersey?...The SUNY and the CUNY systems are always listed in best value.