UNC basketball team SAT scores | Syracusefan.com

UNC basketball team SAT scores

itsbotime

2nd String
http://www.wral.com/news/local/document/13286629/

More flack for the CNN article...the UNC system released the academic qualifications of each UNC system school today (which includes UNC and NC State in the ACC). UNC's men's basketball team had an average ACT score of 21, which translates to a 990-1010 SAT score. NC State's men's basketball team had an average SAT score of 780, which translates into...780.

A bit difficult to get a 1000 on the SAT if you can't read or write.

More flack for the CNN article...the UNC system released the academic qualifications of each UNC system school today (which includes UNC and NC State in the ACC). UNC's men's basketball team had an average ACT score of 21, which translates to a 990-1010 SAT score. NC State's men's basketball team had an average SAT score of 780, which translates into...780.

We are just kidding around itsbo. We all know NC State is the North Carolina school with the kids who can't read.

I hate to be the one to do this, but are walkons factored in? UNC is a good school, so the walkons must be smart. Say they get the following scores...that will bring the team's median score up a bunch.

Walkon A: 1300
Walkon B: 1270
Walkon C: 1250
Walkon D: 1310

With the above factored in, the 13 scholarship players would only need about an 850 to reach the average 990-1010 SAT score

I hate to be the one to do this, but are walkons factored in? UNC is a good school, so the walkons must be smart. Say they get the following scores...that will bring the team's median score up a bunch.

Good question. That I don't know.

We are just kidding around itsbo. We all know NC State is the North Carolina school with the kids who can't read.

I wouldn't go that far. Have to stick up for where I teach at. When it comes to STEM, NC State is top notch. If you want a degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math; you better be prepared to be in the top 2% in your class for admission.

I live in NC I would never send my kids(if I have any) to NCSU I would send them to App State/Western Carolina/East Carolina before NCSU if they didn't want to go to UNC. Unless they want an engineering degree I wouldn't send my relatives to NCSU.

UNC athletics crisis of confidence hasn't translated over to the academics of the university as a whole. UNC is still blue blood brother of UVA IMO.

NCSU-VPI are the blue collared brothers of each and this fact is why I don't understand why the ACC hasn't tried to make the NCSU-VPI football teams into rivals by playing annually. It seems like a good rivalry with good potential that hasn't been played a lot both of them are little brothers to the other in-state rival school academically.

Who cares, are these guys really there to get an education or there to play basketball. What they do with their scholarship is up to then IMHO. They're chasing a dream of NBA or basketball riches, let them chase no matter how dumb they are.

It's been 20 years since I took the SAT's, so forgive me, but isn't the max score a 24oo now? That would mean 1000 pretty much sucks, right? 1000 would be equal to less than 700 on the old 1600 scale.

Who cares, are these guys really there to get an education or there to play basketball. What they do with their scholarship is up to then IMHO. They're chasing a dream of NBA or basketball riches, let them chase no matter how dumb they are.
Few have realistic shots at the NBA. It's still school, so academics should matter. If you don't like the student part of student-athlete you can always follow the d-league.

Few have realistic shots at the NBA. It's still school, so academics should matter. If you don't like the student part of student-athlete you can always follow the d-league.
you can make a ton of money and gain a wealth of world experience playing basketball and never even getting a sniff of the NBA.

it's a global game with multiple leagues at various levels. not every computer science major has to land a job at Apple; not every college basketball player has to make the NBA

It's been 20 years since I took the SAT's, so forgive me, but isn't the max score a 24oo now? That would mean 1000 pretty much sucks, right? 1000 would be equal to less than 700 on the old 1600 scale.

The numbers in that report are still based on the 1600 scale, I believe.

Those scores are actually higher than I would have thought. I don't know what the point is. We all know the men's basketball and football scores will be lower than the general student population at most BCS conference schools. As Jerry Tarkanian once said about his players...they're not here to become brain surgeons. Even the kids who don't go on to play pro ball will benefit greatly from the college experience.

With the above factored in, the 13 scholarship players would only need about an 850 to reach the average 990-1010 SAT score

I would imagine they would be averaged in since they're on the team, rather than having the figures just representing scholarship athletes. Back in the day, Denny Crum tried to defend the dismal academic record of his team by noting that one of the players had become a doctor. Turned out he was one of the walk-ons and none of the scholarship players had graduated.

My son just became the new NCAA faculty liason at UNC-Asheville; thank goodness they look in good shape.

you can make a ton of money and gain a wealth of world experience playing basketball and never even getting a sniff of the NBA.

it's a global game with multiple leagues at various levels. not every computer science major has to land a job at Apple; not every college basketball player has to make the NBA
That's still no reason to not take the educational opportunities seriously. Not every scholarship player will play overseas. Many foreign leagues limit the number of Americans each team can have. How many open positions are available every year compared to the number of college kids graduating/dropping out? It's still a relatively small pool with a lot of competition.

I don't know if it's more flack for the CNN article. Don't know if you watched or heard the updates today.

1. The woman that did the UNC study has received a number of death threats since the article was posted. Probably why it was taken down, not because it was made up.

2. UNC claimed the woman was not a tutor for athletes. She provided CNN with UNC documents that showed she was.

3. UNC claimed she was not authorized to do the study she did. She provided CNN with UNC documents that showed she was.

4. UNC claims they never saw her study. She provided emails that show she twice did show them.

5. She had testing proof that a basketball player can't read.

6. On a broader scale, UNC is only part of a broader study being done across multiple schools. The CNN person behind the study and reporting is Sara Ganim. I'm sure many know she investigated and was the first to break the Sandusky rapes. Many schools still have not given her the data she requested through open records. Don't know if this will go any further than the report she's already done.

I don't know if it's more flack for the CNN article. Don't know if you watched or heard the updates today.

1. The woman that did the UNC study has received a number of death threats since the article was posted. Probably why it was taken down, not because it was made up.

2. UNC claimed the woman was not a tutor for athletes. She provided CNN with UNC documents that showed she was.

3. UNC claimed she was not authorized to do the study she did. She provided CNN with UNC documents that showed she was.

4. UNC claims they never saw her study. She provided emails that show she twice did show them.

5. She had testing proof that a basketball player can't read.

6. On a broader scale, UNC is only part of a broader study being done across multiple schools. The CNN person behind the study and reporting is Sara Ganim. I'm sure many know she investigated and was the first to break the Sandusky rapes. Many schools still have not given her the data she requested through open records. Don't know if this will go any further than the report she's already done.

Unfortunately for CNN and for the tutor, the CNN's only source regarding UNC is a thesis paper written by the tutor in 2009. The thesis paper written by the tutor cites...surprise, surprise, another paper written by the same tutor as her source for the literacy levels of UNC's athletes. Conveniently, this mystery paper with all of the stats on it is nowhere to be found. What makes it worse is that the tutor claims that her thesis proves that UNC had players in 2012 that were illiterate. Her thesis was completed in 2009. She either is making things up or she is some sort of super prophet who can see into the future.

If you read her thesis (I did), you'll see that she clearly has an agenda: she wants to abolish all Division 1 sports at all universities. Not exactly the most objective person out there, and the fact that she is apparently willing to lie (and potentially violate FERPA) to pursue this goal doesn't really lend her any extra credibility.

Unfortunately for CNN and for the tutor, the CNN's only source regarding UNC is a thesis paper written by the tutor in 2009. The thesis paper written by the tutor cites...surprise, surprise, another paper written by the same tutor as her source for the literacy levels of UNC's athletes. Conveniently, this mystery paper with all of the stats on it is nowhere to be found. What makes it worse is that the tutor claims that her thesis proves that UNC had players in 2012 that were illiterate. Her thesis was completed in 2009. She either is making things up or she is some sort of super prophet who can see into the future.

If you read her thesis (I did), you'll see that she clearly has an agenda: she wants to abolish all Division 1 sports at all universities. Not exactly the most objective person out there, and the fact that she is apparently willing to lie (and potentially violate FERPA) to pursue this goal doesn't really lend her any extra credibility.

Not buying it. The data is from UNC and goes from 2004-2012. Seen no mention of a thesis. She's offering to share some things with Williams if the student agrees, let's see if they take her up in it. Given the scandal there about no show classes and athletes, it's not far fetched to believe this stuff either.

Not buying it. The data is from UNC and goes from 2004-2012. Seen no mention of a thesis. She's offering to share some things with Williams if the student agrees, let's see if they take her up in it. Given the scandal there about no show classes and athletes, it's not far fetched to believe this stuff either.

The data isn't from UNC...it is her own data. Look at the OP and it shows UNC's average SAT score for the basketball team at the moment. It is difficult to be illiterate and average 1000 on the 1600 scale. THAT data is from the UNC system. What Willingham is doing is throwing numbers out there and not stating how she got them. Her thesis did the same thing...it cited a paper that SHE wrote years beforehand. Very sloppy stuff.

On a larger issue, it shouldn't be surprising that college athletes typically fall below standard admissions requirements. Why UNC is catching flack for this and every other D1 school that recruits the same athletes is skating remains to be seen. Lots of haterade out there. It isn't like there is a special pool of dumb athletes that only UNC recruits. Every big-time school recruits the same athletes. Unfortunately, the people crying bloody murder about this are too ignorant or too biased to realize this.

The data isn't from UNC...it is her own data. Look at the OP and it shows UNC's average SAT score for the basketball team at the moment. It is difficult to be illiterate and average 1000 on the 1600 scale. THAT data is from the UNC system. What Willingham is doing is throwing numbers out there and not stating how she got them. Her thesis did the same thing...it cited a paper that SHE wrote years beforehand. Very sloppy stuff.

On a larger issue, it shouldn't be surprising that college athletes typically fall below standard admissions requirements. Why UNC is catching flack for this and every other D1 school that recruits the same athletes is skating remains to be seen. Lots of haterade out there. It isn't like there is a special pool of dumb athletes that only UNC recruits. Every big-time school recruits the same athletes. Unfortunately, the people crying bloody murder about this are too ignorant or too biased to realize this.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/10/3522277/unc-whistleblower-stands-firm.html

The News & Observer isn't exactly a credible source, for reasons that I've explained earlier on this board. Forbes had to issue a public apology for citing the N&O in an article about UNC after the N&O's facts were shown to be bogus. They very clearly have an axe to grind.

You have all the answers don't you. So you claim the N&O made up the quotes from other people? Has Williams taken her up on her challenge? Why do multiple articles say the data is from 2004-2012 and you say it was a 2008 thesis? So many questions.