UNC Pregame Articles and Videos | Syracusefan.com

UNC Pregame Articles and Videos

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse vs North Carolina
Saturday, April 14, 2018 | 4:00 p.m.

TV: ESPNU

You can also watch online through Watch ESPN or by using the Watch ESPN app for tablets and mobile devices.

You can also listen to the game on TK99 (99.5 FM) in Syracuse, or WAER (88.3 FM).

DawF1T7V4AAr9oJ.jpg

Defense is banged up. Helmer has a foot injury, Bomberry is struggling from his knee injury and now Cunningham will be out and I'll guess its "week to week" till the season ends and he somehow missed all the games.

I had high hopes for the D and really thought they would carry the young/inexperienced offense but they have yet to prove me right

Defense is banged up. Helmer has a foot injury, Bomberry is struggling from his knee injury and now Cunningham will be out and I'll guess its "week to week" till the season ends and he somehow missed all the games.

I had high hopes for the D and really thought they would carry the young/inexperienced offense but they have yet to prove me right

The Helmer injury is very concerning because of Fernandez already being out and Murphy being moved to SSDM. Cunninghams injury didn't appear to be overly serious but with the quick turnaround your probably right about him being out. With Kennedy and Dipetro though there SU has good depth to cover I think (hope). The SSDM's have been better the last few weeks and while the performance at Cornell wasn't great it wasn't bad either. UNC is dealing with a ton of injuries themselves so it may even things about it. Still were going to need Bomberry as close to 100% as possible as I assume he is going to draw Cloutier.

The Helmer injury is very concerning because of Fernandez already being out and Murphy being moved to SSDM. Cunninghams injury didn't appear to be overly serious but with the quick turnaround your probably right about him being out. With Kennedy and Dipetro though there SU has good depth to cover I think (hope). The SSDM's have been better the last few weeks and while the performance at Cornell wasn't great it wasn't bad either. UNC is dealing with a ton of injuries themselves so it may even things about it. Still were going to need Bomberry as close to 100% as possible as I assume he is going to draw Cloutier.
I haven't followed the Tar Heels season all that closely, who are the injuries for them? Timmy Kelly? Tanner Cook?

I haven't followed the Tar Heels season all that closely, who are the injuries for them? Timmy Kelly? Tanner Cook?

Timmy Kelly and there faceoff guy Charles Kelly are back but they're missing their starting goalie (Millican) and one of their better close defenders Kenna, both of whom are out for the year, Rowlett is wore out from never leaving the field, Colin Munro and a couple of other offensive depth guys are out for the year and they just lost Justin Anderson one of if not their top middie for the year as well. Breschi indicated 13 guys will miss the game against SU, probably half of them would have played for UNC ( clearly not all 13 were ticketed for playing time regardless of injury status.

They still have a formidable top 5/6 with Cloutier, Perry, Timmy kelly, Tanner Cook and the youngster Trippi but there depth has been wiped clean and Matthews is almost strictly a feeder at this point as he only has 6 goals on the season. Defensively they have actually done a decent job when you consider the injuries and loss to graudation as three of the last 4 games they have only given up 11 goals with UVA's 15 being the outlier. UNC's issue is that Bones Kelly was lost to graduation so they are starting over at the X and have struggled like we have at times and there depth on both sides is very limited.

If SU can limited Cloutier and Timmy Kelly they should win because UNC just doesn't have the depth of scorign with all of the injuries. UVA did a great job last week getting out to a big lead and then just kind of coasting to the win in the second half despite UNC cutting it to 3 at one point. Desko has to be careful not to overplay our depth here though in an attempt to wear out UNC. Were playing to many guys offensively at this point and mixing things up to much.

The offense needs to take better shots and convert. I don't need to see McKinney or Simmons out there with the first mids. Use Lipka, kid can score it. I think the mixing and matching is being done to try to find a spark when we're not scoring and in one of our recurrent droughts but I agree, we're running too many players out there. Use Lipka with Trimbo and Dordo and run Curry out at attack if the Bomber or Solly are struggling. Smart shot selection is so important cause this team takes a lot of bad shots. Mellen should definitely draw Cloutier. He'll get his points but don't let him run wild and get in a groove.

Last edited:
The offense needs to take better shots and convert. I don't need to see McKinney or Simmons out their with the first mids. Use Lipka, kid can score it. I think the mixing and matching is being done to try to find a spark when we're not scoring and in one of our recurrent droughts but I agree, we're running too many players out there. Use Lipka with Trimbo and Dordo and run Curry out at attack if the Bomber or Solly are struggling. Smart shot selection is so important cause this team takes a lot of bad shots. Mellen should definitely draw Cloutier. He'll get his points but don't let him run wild and get in a groove.

I think Cloutier is a good match-up for Bomberry, who can match-up physically with him. I think it makes sense to have Mellen cover Kelly but we'll see what they end of going with.

I think what’s most surprising to me is the fact that a family member of a player has commented on this article. Sounds like there are more underlying issues than we are aware of, especially when a 1st middie’s parent is making a comment.

Time for someone in house to reign it in and win games till the end of May

I think what’s most surprising to me is the fact that a family member of a player has commented on this article. Sounds like there are more underlying issues than we are aware of, especially when a 1st middie’s parent is making a comment.

Time for someone in house to reign it in and win games till the end of May

I noticed that to, Joe is his father's name but there not from Herkimer so maybe that's an uncle? Either way I agree its not a good look. The Mckinney on the 1st line rotation makes absolutely zero sense, hes right sbout that.

Bingy, an inept ND n Hobart really do skew n dress up some numbers. Reason why some of these teams have fancier records n stats given their softer schedules. Cornell not given much preseason thought but legit top ten. Hopefully all are up for UNC n dont take them lightly because they still have talent and wounded animals backed into corners are dangerous.

This freshman shaving their heads thing is pretty funny. Some of these boys just look a little odd with the short cut. Interesting right of passage though. Seemed to start last year. Other than that I have no insight on the why but hopefully a good bonding experience.

This freshman shaving their heads thing is pretty funny. Some of these boys just look a little odd with the short cut. Interesting right of passage though. Seemed to start last year. Other than that I have no insight on the why but hopefully a good bonding experience.

1st road trip of the season, all the frosh get trimmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom