UNC Secret Exhibition Game | Syracusefan.com

UNC Secret Exhibition Game

I wish we did this. Much better prep than playing some Div. 2 or NAIA school.

I'm guessing the foregone revenue weighs heavily on the decision.

True. But only with a giant golden signed document from the NCAA guaranteeing no repricussions.

You’re allowed to play both of your “exhibition” games against D1 teams in closed scrimmages. Many schools at the mid and low-major levels do this.

Am I missing something?

Closed scrimmages aren’t uncommon.

Not uncommon at all - usually you don’t travel to N.C. from Philadelphia, but it is absolutely common.

Not uncommon at all - usually you don’t travel to N.C. from Philadelphia, but it is absolutely common.
This is absolutely no big deal and the normal course of business. I think UVa and Vanilla-nova have had home-and-home "secret scrimmages." There is no one not directly connected to the programs in the gym when they occur. I'm sure they were filmed for the coaches to review later, but highlights have never been posted on our official website.

Correct, common practice.

As noted, SU prefers 4,000 fans' worth of concession revenue, along with not pissing off season ticketholders who want the option to attend the two exhibitions.

Not a big deal, I can see both sides. Though exhibitions have been less exciting in recent seasons when they're conflicting with stuff like trick-or-treaters (this year) and my wife's birthday (seemingly every previous year).

Goodman is confirming all of the above. And chugg21 is absolutely right. Vanilla-nova isn't happening!
Goodman

Goodman is confirming all of the above. And chugg21 is absolutely right. Vanilla-nova isn't happening!
Goodman
Looks like Syracuse is unusual not participating in this. With a veteran team, this makes sense. Next year, it might not be as sensible.

Towards that end, who would be an ideal team to scrimmage? If we assume we are playing Cornell and Colgate in the regular season, who would be a good choice? It looks like proximity isn't a big deal. I would think it would make sense to be a good program, fairly close by, ideally one with have some history with and one running a system we might benefit by playing.

I think it would be good to play a team that plays in your face, physical man defense. That style of play tends to be our kryptonite.

Maybe Cincinnati? West Virginia? Carleton again?

A school like that. Or a relatively close school like Siena, UMass, Niagara or SUNY Bingo. Someone we would rarely play in the regular season.

Looks like Syracuse is unusual not participating in this. With a veteran team, this makes sense. Next year, it might not be as sensible.

Towards that end, who would be an ideal team to scrimmage? If we assume we are playing Cornell and Colgate in the regular season, who would be a good choice? It looks like proximity isn't a big deal. I would think it would make sense to be a good program, fairly close by, ideally one with have some history with and one running a system we might benefit by playing.

I think it would be good to play a team that plays in your face, physical man defense. That style of play tends to be our kryptonite.

A school like that. Or a relatively close school like Siena, UMass, Niagara or SUNY Bingo. Someone we would rarely play in the regular season.

Carleton. I'd do that every year, if it were allowed.
They are legit talented. A solid test for us, as they were last time we played there.

If you did Carleton, you could play them in an exhibition as they are not D1.

If you wanted to do a secret scrimmage, pick the mid major in the NE that has the best chance to be prettt good that isn’t on your schedule. UMass is a good choice but any given year, the answer could be Buffalo, St. Bonaventure or St. John’s.

This is absolutely no big deal and the normal course of business. I think UVa and Vanilla-nova have had home-and-home "secret scrimmages." There is no one not directly connected to the programs in the gym when they occur. I'm sure they were filmed for the coaches to review later, but highlights have never been posted on our official website.
over/under on yer team's avg points scored/game this year: 60

I'd put it a bit higher in the 65-70 range like 67.5. There have been posts on our board that Bennett has been more amenable to opening up the offense. Four starters for sure, Guy, Jerome, Hunter, and Salt. Some are arguing for Diakite to play the #4 and now there's been an article advocating putting Hunter at the 4, with Diakite as coming in for him, and starting Marco Anthony at the #3, like Hall was at the 3 last year.

Since Bennett arrived at Virginia (or, at least, since the NCAA began permitting them), UVa hasn't played exhibition games. Closed scrimmages have been the rule. Typically, there will be a home & home arrangement witha P5 (or is it now P7?) school. Those I can remember off hand include Villanova, Vanderbilt, and, I think, SMU. Maybe LSU, too. Bennett will also include local D1 programs, too, like Richmond, VCU, and ODU in years when they aren't on the schedule. Seems to be a collegial sort of thing. Finally, they aren't games. While portions of the scrimmages are conducted as though they were, the coaches can also use set situations. The paucity of information emanating from these events can be frustrating for fans, but I suspect the coaches appreciate the lack of scrutiny. They can experiment without suffering the ire of fans who know so much more than they do.

Well, considering that Virginia averaged 67.1 ppg last year, the over might be the judicious choice. Of course, since they gave up just 54 ppg it's forgivable if some imagine Virginia wasn't scoring, too!

Last edited:
If you did Carleton, you could play them in an exhibition as they are not D1.

If you wanted to do a secret scrimmage, pick the mid major in the NE that has the best chance to be prettt good that isn’t on your schedule. UMass is a good choice but any given year, the answer could be Buffalo, St. Bonaventure or St. John’s.

Would love to see a scrimmage against a Cincinnati or WVU. I think there is a lot of mutual respect between Huggins/Cronin and Boeheim. Any chances to face that sort of “kryptonite” the better. Any early season non-conf game especially against that style is an automatic L in my book...Wisconsin, South Carolina, etc. Preparing our beanpoles in practice trying to simulate physical M2M ain’t gonna help much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom