Women's Lacrosse - Under Armour Announces Women’s All-America Lacrosse Game Selections | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse Under Armour Announces Women’s All-America Lacrosse Game Selections

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Under Armour Announces First 11 Women’s All-America Lacrosse Game Selections

Baltimore, Md. — Under Armour, in conjunction with Corrigan Sports Enterprises and Inside Lacrosse, is thrilled to announce the first wave of women’s participants who have been selected to compete in the 11th-annual Under Armour All-America Lacrosse Game on July 2 at Towson University’s Johnny Unitas Stadium.

The game’s participants, which will be announced in four waves of 11 players through the end of May, will be divided into North and South teams in conjunction with the release of the final wave.

Wave I: Under Armour All-Americans

Goalie
Asa Goldstock, New Hampton (N.H.), Syracuse

The girls game will air live on ESPNU for the first time ever at 5:30 p.m.

For more information about the event, visit www.underarmourlacrosse.com. You can also follow the event on Twitter at www.twitter.com/UALacrosse and www.twitter.com/CSELax. Use the hashtag: #UAALLAMERICA.

Quillinan: Under Armour All-America Game Standouts; What’s Next?
It’s hard to believe it’s been 11 years since I took the field alongside the likes of Katrina Dowd, Traci Landy, Jenn Russell, Kristen Taylor, and more – squaring off against The South's Caitlyn McFadden & Co. – in the first-ever Under Armour All-America game at Towson University. In my first return to the #UAALLAMERICA sideline since then for ESPNU, the pinnacle of the high school game hit primetime as a number of players impressed before they matriculate to college campuses nationwide in the next two months.

Here’s a look at ten (of the many) players that caught my eye on Saturday night, and a look ahead to the 2017 season and how these 48 girls could play a vital role for the teams they’re set to join:

Asa Goldstock, Goalie, New Hampton (N.H.), Syracuse
The Syracuse-bound star is the best high school goalie I’ve seen in a long time, and she’s going to impact the Orange right away this fall. Her athleticism and ability to command her defense from the crease was evident right away, as the New Hampton (N.H.) grad finished .500 on the night with four saves and a groundball. In true #SCtop10 highlight fashion, Goldstock also assisted on Erin Barry’s (Penn) lone tally of the game – a bomb downfield to put the North up 6-2 in the first half. Her game reminds me a lot of all-time Syracuse great and Team USA’s Liz Hogan – which bodes well for Goldstock’s next four years.

Emily Hawryschuk, Midfield, Victor (N.Y.), Syracuse
The Victor (N.Y.) grad tallied an #SCtop10 goal in true Syracuse/ Gary Gait fashion, as she’ll fit the Orange’s offensive system like a glove next spring. With an ability to run the midfield, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hawryschuk playing line attack from time to time next spring, as Syracuse looks to fill voids left by Halle Majorana and Kayla Treanor. Hawryschuk finished with a pair of goals, two groundballs, three draws and one caused turnover.

Replacing then-No. 1’s freshmen class, Syracuse rookies’ future looks bright.
The nation’s top incoming class four seasons ago, Syracuse lived up to its billing with four-straight appearances in the Final Four. Kayla Treanor was the country’s No. 2 incomer – behind No. 1 Taylor Cummings – and she became the program’s first-ever four-time First Team All-American and three-time Tewaaraton finalist. Much like Cummings’ impact on Maryland, not one single player can replace the production of Kayla Treanor and classmate Halle Majorana, but Emily Hawryschuk should help in filling that void right away alongside Riley Donahue and Nicole Levy. Also look for Vanessa Costantino to add depth in the midfield, while Kerry Defliese could play midfield or defense for the Orange. Defensively, Lila Nazarian is a stud that should fight for minutes right away. And of course, the headliner in this class is Asa Goldstock who will likely be a four-year starter following in fellow Niskayuna native Treanor’s footsteps. I’m putting Goldstock on way-ahead Rookie of the Year watch.

Photos, Interviews, Analysis: North Downs South, 13-11, in Under Armour All-America Game

Photos, Standouts: Under Armour All-American Underclass Highlight Division

Megan Carney, John Paul II High School (Texas), Attack

UA Team: Southwest | Grad Year: 2018 | Commitment: Syracuse
As a rising junior, Carney is a poised offensive player with a strong lacrosse I.Q. She moves well off-ball and can score with surprisingly high heat, proving to be a weapon on offense.

Hannah Van Middelem, Mount Sinai (N.Y.), Goalkeeper

UA Team: Long Island | Grad Year: 2017 | Commitment: Syracuse
The rising senior attacks the ball from the cage, whether she’s making a strong save or picking off passes. At the same time, Van Middelem doesn’t overextend herself and makes smart decisions in the clearing game.