Under the radar interview with Allen Griffin providing some new info on Chris Bell and Justin Taylor | Syracusefan.com

Under the radar interview with Allen Griffin providing some new info on Chris Bell and Justin Taylor

obokoh

Script Enthusiast

Came across this on twitter, Assistant Coach Allen Griffin was interviewed by DT Sports Media. The interviewer (goes by DT) mentions at the 10 minute mark that he talked to some of the players following the loss in Greensboro, including Bell, Taylor, Mintz, and JG3 about whether they would be returning. Girard and Judah both gave the expected answers of uncertainty, however Bell and Taylor both stated they were planning on coming back to the 'Cuse next season. Bell in particular stated "I have nothing better to do, I'll be back in the Syracuse gym in the summer". Justin Taylor also stated that he wasn't thinking of anything other than returning for next season. Obviously this all can change and nothing is set in stone, especially in todays college sports landscape, but it seems Bell and Taylor are more than likely staying. Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere.

Came across this on twitter, Assistant Coach Allen Griffin was interviewed by DT Sports Media. The interviewer (goes by DT) mentions at the 10 minute mark that he talked to some of the players following the loss in Greensboro, including Bell, Taylor, Mintz, and JG3 about whether they would be returning. Girard and Judah both gave the expected answers of uncertainty, however Bell and Taylor both stated they were planning on coming back to the 'Cuse next season. Bell in particular stated "I have nothing better to do, I'll be back in the Syracuse gym in the summer". Justin Taylor also stated that he wasn't thinking of anything other than returning for next season. Obviously this all can change and nothing is set in stone, especially in todays college sports landscape, but it seems Bell and Taylor are more than likely staying. Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere.
Glad to hear it. I like them both. If role players left it would be even more uncertain whether we can fill the roster and compete. Judah and Jesse are such game changers though. Those two, our role players, plus a stud portal wing and Red will have a full deck to show his coaching ability.

Joe's got an NIL and maybe there's a way to up that a little to get him to come back. Not sure how transferring will help him. The other option is to go pro and get paid overseas. Jesse and/or Judah coming back would be a big step in the right direction for the roster.

Coaching and wins will be the hard part for a new coach like Red, but our recruiting should be much better with Red hitting the trails and being engaged unlike Jim. We just have to be patient. I'd rather a slow build up than a quick splash and huge downturn/disappointment like Hubert Davis.

Sounds good if true

Great both guys can make big jumps. Both guys are a little more versatile in the lineup if we aren't locked into a 2-3 zone.

We still desperately need a Wes Johnson high end experienced 22 year old wing transfer that can slot guys down I don't think this team running it back goes well if we don't add a starter or two.

Great find. I definitely want Taylor back. The truth, though, is that we need upgrades at at least one of the wing spots. I like Bell’s potential more than other folks do and I hope he stays and develops. But I want more physical players at the wing (SG or SF) as the starter for next year. I’m thinking of Baylor’s bulldog-type of guards, like we used to have with Dion, Triche, and Scoop.

I for one am in favor of some roster turnover especially if Red is going to be playing man. Not saying I want either Taylor or Bell to leave just that we need some changes to our talent level. I don't want to run back the same team because I do feel we were lacking in the talent department compared to the top of the ACC.

I for one am in favor of some roster turnover especially if Red is going to be playing man. Not saying I want either Taylor or Bell to leave just that we need some changes to our talent level. I don't want to run back the same team because I do feel we were lacking in the talent department compared to the top of the ACC.
Seems we’d have room to both keep our soon to be sophomores and bring some guys in? JBA is already gone, and I assume Symir is? And probably Jesse and Joe?

Seems we’d have room to both keep our soon to be sophomores and bring some guys in? JBA is already gone, and I assume Symir is? And probably Jesse and Joe?

Yes there is room but it is crowded and is Red first year head coach really going to bench players and cut them down to zero minutes ?? We have 4 returning forwards that play good minutes at random times during the year if they all come back can you really add a forward through the portal of any quality knowing you have 4 returning players?

Mintz/ ???
Portal/Taylor
Bell/Taylor
Benny/Brown
Jesse/Hima

Assuming JG3 doesnt come back and Jesse does...

Are you going to get any significant portal player to come outside of a replacement for a starter? It is a hard sell.

If we just lose Ajak and Symir we still could bring in 3 players.

I still think Taylor and Bell need another year of refinement. Nothing wrong with that.

Southerland didn’t become a rotation player until he was a junior.

I still think Taylor and Bell need another year of refinement. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh its not just about those players Taylor and Bell it is about selling minutes to an incoming player from the portal. The quality we are after are not looking to come to places and compete for minutes. They are coming for starting positions. If a forward small or power looks at our roster and see the 4 forwards who logged the most minutes last year are coming back it is a very very hard sell to a top level portal player to come in. There will be more attractive options for the top level players than coming into a log jam.

Completely agree. I love taylor and bell as program guys. Let them mature physically and grow their skill each year. Provides quality depth and continuity.

We need to have weitsman throw Judah a bag and we need to grab a great Center in the portal. Also grabbing a starting level ACC SG is big. I think Jesse is gone, gut feeling.

Essentially my perfect dream for next year:

Mintz/torrence
Portal/Taylor
Bell/Taylor/Copeland
Brown/Williams/carey??
Above avg Portal C/Hima/carey??

IF and big IF we get the right portal guys we could be great

Completely agree. I love taylor and bell as program guys. Let them mature physically and grow their skill each year. Provides quality depth and continuity.

We need to have weitsman throw Judah a bag and we need to grab a great Center in the portal. Also grabbing a starting level ACC SG is big. I think Jesse is gone, gut feeling.

Essentially my perfect dream for next year:

Mintz/torrence
Portal/Taylor
Bell/Taylor/Copeland
Brown/Williams/carey??
Above avg Portal C/Hima/carey??

IF and big IF we get the right portal guys we could be great
Bell/Taylor/Copeland is a big “meh”

I expect(ed) both to return. I don't know why anyone didn't.
My concern with Taylor was he had not got off the bench in the last few games where prior to that hw was getting 5 to 8 minutes a game. No idea if injury, bad practice or coach's decision. If this report is true, I think both he and Bell have room to improve and help Syracuse over the next couple of years.

Good find.

I’d love for five of the six FR to come back. Bell just doesn’t seem to have the motor or guts of a Syracuse guy.

Would love to see Taylor settle in at the two and for us to find a SF who can create off the dribble and rebound here and there.

If Girard/Symir/JBA do not return, Coach Autry has/needs

Mintz/Copeland
Portal/Taylor
Williams/Bell
Portal/Brown/Carey
Jesse/Hima/Patterson

Could add one more, either portal or freshman

If no Judah or Jesse, obviously needs to add portal pg and/or center

For each of Judah or Jesse that returns it might be optimum to have another departure and maximize 2023-24 options. If Judah or Jesse do not return probably want no other departures.

Red has a lot to figure out and get accomplished.

LGO

bell nice shooter. simply doesn't show that much interest playing defense. if the new HC can't change that. ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom