Unintended consequences | Syracusefan.com

Unintended consequences

Cusefan69

All American
As fans begin acclimating to the portal it will be interesting to see how fans navigate seasonal bowls. The top 10 to 15 programs likely wont see a major ripple but if all other programs start seeing pre-bowl movement of top players and 2 deeps, that has the potential of impacting fan spending on bowls I would think in the future or are there enough fans who follow “the teams” to make it a non issue?

With three of our best CB's not playing, I feel this game is a glorified scrimmage. Great live practice prep for next year, but not much more. I'll still watch because I'm interested in seeing our players' development. Still, it's tough to take these games seriously when it's essentially unencumbered free agency as soon as the regular season ends.

With three of our best CB's not playing, I feel this game is a glorified scrimmage. Great live practice prep for next year, but not much more. I'll still watch because I'm interested in seeing our players' development. Still, it's tough to take these games seriously when it's essentially unencumbered free agency as soon as the regular season ends.
They’ve always been glorified scrimmages - bowls need to figure out an NIL deal to make them worth their while

As fans begin acclimating to the portal it will be interesting to see how fans navigate seasonal bowls. The top 10 to 15 programs likely wont see a major ripple but if all other programs start seeing pre-bowl movement of top players and 2 deeps, that has the potential of impacting fan spending on bowls I would think in the future or are there enough fans who follow “the teams” to make it a non issue?
Not just bowls. Going to be real frustrating for 80% of fans to discover talent only to have their pockets picked. Interest will drop off, in general. Now, I also think that devalues all NIL stuff and the folks funding that will back way off. It’ll normalize over time, but there will be a big cost imo

It's hitting all teams
Ohio State's top WR is sitting out
Bama has lost two of it's top 4 WR
That's just the few I've seen
1400 kids in the portal no team is save from pre bowl movements at this point

They’ve always been glorified scrimmages - bowls need to figure out an NIL deal to make them worth their while
You’re onto something. I completely agree.

It's hitting all teams
It’s amazing how many of these kids give up excellent free education with no guarantees at landing in a better situation.

For example for relevancy sake, Duce goes to Nebraska. He has forfeited his Syracuse degree which I believe holds more weight, as well as, a starting spot in a P5 school which gets solid exposure. If he goes to NEB and now his snaps decrease 33% due to competition, and the team flames out like it has every year since Bo left - how was this move beneficial?

Someone who writes articles should do an article stating the good, neutral and ugly of the portal with examples of athletes who excelled because of transferring, those who really stayed the same, and those who lost opportunity.

I have a feeling there would be a lot more ugly stories but hey who knows I’m just shooting from the hip

It’s amazing how many of these kids give up excellent free education with no guarantees at landing in a better situation.

For example for relevancy sake, Duce goes to Nebraska. He has forfeited his Syracuse degree which I believe holds more weight, as well as, a starting spot in a P5 school which gets solid exposure. If he goes to NEB and now his snaps decrease 33% due to competition, and the team flames out like it has every year since Bo left - how was this move beneficial?

Someone who writes articles should do an article stating the good, neutral and ugly of the portal with examples of athletes who excelled because of transferring, those who really stayed the same, and those who lost opportunity.

I have a feeling there would be a lot more ugly stories but hey who knows I’m just shooting from the hip
If he ends up in Nebraska his relationship with White must be super special
Rebuild with almost no shot of a bowl
Only thing I think of is someone is selling to him Big Ten helps his draft stock
Will be interesting to see where he lands

It's hitting all teams
Yep, everyone is hit to greater and lesser degrees. The difference is Bama can replace a 5 star with a 5 star in a bowl.(Talking strictly bowl impacts here). I am holding off judgment for the following season because as Go states in his thread we have picked up some net new talent for next season and it’s reasonable to believe if our staff developed players leaving, they can develop players who portal in.

If he ends up in Nebraska his relationship with White must be super special
Rebuild with almost no shot of a bowl
Only thing I think of is someone is selling to him Big Ten helps his draft stock
Will be interesting to see where he lands
Also, just to add a random thought of mine. The feeling of grinding with a university who believes in you in HS, and seeing it through, and then being a known name around campus for the rest of your life….. I wish that mattered to some of these guys. Like if Duce stayed here two more years and won two more bowls, that dude could come back to cuse and be treated like royalty the rest of his life. Like Zaire Franklin if he comes back to town he is the big man on campus and rightfully so, and I know he loves this place and we love him. That family culture is real. Idk just seems like those things don’t matter anymore.

Probably already answered, but why can't portal players play in the bowl games? Why can't they commit and still play since they aren't technically enrolled in their new school until January?

Probably already answered, but why can't portal players play in the bowl games? Why can't they commit and still play since they aren't technically enrolled in their new school until January?
Why would they if they’re committed elsewhere?

I like the NIL idea a lot but I doubt that will keep the top projected NFL draft picks from sitting out. Probably has to start with the schools offering NIL deals that require participation in a bowl.

I really like the idea of portal players playing in bowls - that would make for a super spicy period between the end of the regular season and the bowl. But I doubt there would be enough practice time to make those moves worthwhile.

Let the portals go and play with the team you have. Use it as a great development tool. My team is on the field.

Also, just to add a random thought of mine. The feeling of grinding with a university who believes in you in HS, and seeing it through, and then being a known name around campus for the rest of your life….. I wish that mattered to some of these guys. Like if Duce stayed here two more years and won two more bowls, that dude could come back to cuse and be treated like royalty the rest of his life. Like Zaire Franklin if he comes back to town he is the big man on campus and rightfully so, and I know he loves this place and we love him. That family culture is real. Idk just seems like those things don’t matter anymore.
If you're transferring to get on the field, understandable
If you're transferring to get paid, fine
If you're transferring to play much better competition, good for you
If you're transferring because your coach treats you terribly, more power to you
If you're transferring because you think that team will be better, well, you should stay put and make your own team better.

Just when I was getting excited for Orange football again.
You still can be, just need to see where things stand after all the puts and takes are done. Hopefully it's at a minimum net neutral. Good case scenario we net out plus.

Ya
You still can be, just need to see where things stand after all the puts and takes are done. Hopefully it's at a minimum net neutral. Good case scenario we net out plus.
Ya, well…not in a rush to buy any merch now, who knows if that player will be around anymore( ie. Duce). And all that does is hurt their NIL. My head hurts

So thinking about this more- I'm surprised the NCAA didn't see it coming or maybe they did but it just doesn't matter.

In the past two decades the concept of loyalty to your franchise as a professional has withered down to almost nothing. The biggest names in sports have decided to soak in the free agency experience, the opportunity to play in different settings and build a legacy across multiple cities and states. Here we are with college athletes from a generation that has seen this normalized. Tack on their coaches making buku bucks doing the same. It's an attractive proposition even without NIL and then NIL just greases the wheels or simply helps with making the decision of where to go easier.

So thinking about this more- I'm surprised the NCAA didn't see it coming or maybe they did but it just doesn't matter.

In the past two decades the concept of loyalty to your franchise as a professional has withered down to almost nothing. The biggest names in sports have decided to soak in the free agency experience, the opportunity to play in different settings and build a legacy across multiple cities and states. Here we are with college athletes from a generation that has seen this normalized. Tack on their coaches making buku bucks doing the same. It's an attractive proposition even without NIL and then NIL just greases the wheels or simply helps with making the decision of where to go easier.
The NCAA and the member institutions were asleep at the wheel thinking they were teflon and counting their cash. One day a book will be written about how inept and out of touch they were in leading to their demise.