Unreal game! | Syracusefan.com

Unreal game!

TinyManInside

Our only goal will be the western shores.
I just got back from the game about an hour ago (left the Dome and drove straight home to Alexandria, VA). I just have to say that was the best game I've ever seen in the dome.

Two great teams, playing at an incredibly high level, meeting each other blow-for-blow throughout. Total Heavyweight Bought. Just incredible energy all game, and both teams were awesome.

Random game thoughts:

1) This was a game of 1s and 3s. Duke hit all the threes, we hit all the free throws. We just hit enough free throws to balance out their 3s. we've been great from the line when it matters this year. We needed all 26 of those free throws, and got them. Ennis was great down the stretch, and cooney and grant were money.

2) I don't care what anyone else on this board says, coach K is a PHENOMENAL coach. What an amazing offensive performance they put on today for their first ever trip to the dome. I thought our defense was actually pretty good, they just executed extremely well and really got the shots they wanted. We were just a little bit better... but their ball movement throughout the game was fantastic, and they got good shots all game by being patient and unselfish.

3) CJ Fair... Jake and I were talking before the game, and the one major point he brought up was "CJ has to have a GREAT game today, not just a very good game." Jake (as always) 'n nailed it on this one. He simply would not let SU lose today, he was the ANSWER to every Duke run in the 2nd half. You could sense that he knew this was his stage, and he really seized the moment.

4) I just loved the pace and tempo of this game. Two teams just going straight up against each other, as hard as they could. What a welcome change after those 58-54 rock fights that we play against the likes of Pitt. I love this sort of uptempo, offensively efficient basketball.

5) Duke was waaaaay more physical than I thought they would be. We punched them in the mouth, but they punched right back. Jefferson played an incredible first half. We wouldn't have won if Jefferson and Parker hadn't fouled out.

6) About Parker - this kid's game is the closest to Carmelo's that I've seen in 12 years. Stud.

7) I honestly think this Duke team is a final 4 team. Shooters everywhere, and some agile and effective interior players. Hood and Parker are the second best tandem of forwards in college basketball (they saw the BEST today). I think they'll continue to get better as the season goes on and they'll be nasty good by the NCAA tourney.

8) Ennis. What is there left to say? The kid is a winner. He was invisible for 25 minutes, but when we needed him to make winning plays, he made winning plays.

9) Grant. Huge turnaround for him today. I thought he played dreadful for about 16 minutes, but after that, he was awesome. He got 4 FT near the end of the first half, and carried that momentum over to the second half. I thought Boeheim did a great job of calling plays to make use of the mismatch in the OT. With Parker and Jefferson out of the game, K put a midget on Grant. We spaced the floor, Grant posted up, and Ennis made some great passes. KISS (keep it simple stupid) at its finest. (great coaching game by Boeheim). When have you EVER seen a player open up an OT with 3 STRAIGHT DUNKS??? awesome. and 10-10 from the line...

10) Fair tried to foul at the end of regulation and the refs didn't call it. But I thought that was JB's one mistake... you have to make sure you get a foul in when you're up 3 with <4 seconds to go.

I could probably go on and on, but I'm sure my ramblings are boring...

5 AM and I'm STILL pumped!

Mason

I just got back from the game about an hour ago (left the Dome and drove straight home to Alexandria, VA). I just have to say that was the best game I've ever seen in the dome.

Two great teams, playing at an incredibly high level, meeting each other blow-for-blow throughout. Total Heavyweight Bought. Just incredible energy all game, and both teams were awesome.

Random game thoughts:

1) This was a game of 1s and 3s. Duke hit all the threes, we hit all the free throws. We just hit enough free throws to balance out their 3s. we've been great from the line when it matters this year. We needed all 26 of those free throws, and got them. Ennis was great down the stretch, and cooney and grant were money.

2) I don't care what anyone else on this board says, coach K is a PHENOMENAL coach. What an amazing offensive performance they put on today for their first ever trip to the dome. I thought our defense was actually pretty good, they just executed extremely well and really got the shots they wanted. We were just a little bit better... but their ball movement throughout the game was fantastic, and they got good shots all game by being patient and unselfish.

3) CJ Fair... Jake and I were talking before the game, and the one major point he brought up was "CJ has to have a GREAT game today, not just a very good game." Jake (as always) 'n nailed it on this one. He simply would not let SU lose today, he was the ANSWER to every Duke run in the 2nd half. You could sense that he knew this was his stage, and he really seized the moment.

4) I just loved the pace and tempo of this game. Two teams just going straight up against each other, as hard as they could. What a welcome change after those 58-54 rock fights that we play against the likes of Pitt. I love this sort of uptempo, offensively efficient basketball.

5) Duke was waaaaay more physical than I thought they would be. We punched them in the mouth, but they punched right back. Jefferson played an incredible first half. We wouldn't have won if Jefferson and Parker hadn't fouled out.

6) About Parker - this kid's game is the closest to Carmelo's that I've seen in 12 years. Stud.

7) I honestly think this Duke team is a final 4 team. Shooters everywhere, and some agile and effective interior players. Hood and Parker are the second best tandem of forwards in college basketball (they saw the BEST today). I think they'll continue to get better as the season goes on and they'll be nasty good by the NCAA tourney.

8) Ennis. What is there left to say? The kid is a winner. He was invisible for 25 minutes, but when we needed him to make winning plays, he made winning plays.

9) Grant. Huge turnaround for him today. I thought he played dreadful for about 16 minutes, but after that, he was awesome. He got 4 FT near the end of the first half, and carried that momentum over to the second half. I thought Boeheim did a great job of calling plays to make use of the mismatch in the OT. With Parker and Jefferson out of the game, K put a midget on Grant. We spaced the floor, Grant posted up, and Ennis made some great passes. KISS (keep it simple stupid) at its finest. (great coaching game by Boeheim). When have you EVER seen a player open up an OT with 3 STRAIGHT DUNKS??? awesome. and 10-10 from the line...

10) Fair tried to foul at the end of regulation and the refs didn't call it. But I thought that was JB's one mistake... you have to make sure you get a foul in when you're up 3 with <4 seconds to go.

I could probably go on and on, but I'm sure my ramblings are boring...

5 AM and I'm STILL pumped!

Mason
I wasn't bored by your post!

I am thinking that for the FIRST TIME this team played to their potential. They brought it because they knew they had to. Now that they have this muscle and head memory, they need to understand that they can play like that again. They can bring it every single game! Perhaps not at such a high level of intensity as this one (until it's needed), but still. CJ - THIS IS WHO YOU ARE! GRANT - GET DRAFTED ON YOUR PERFORMANCE THIS YEAR, NOT YOUR POTENTIAL. RAK - HOLY CRAP, KEEP DOING IT! The lights came on last night. They need to stay on!

Oh, and we are the #1 team in the nation - and we deserve it!

Summed it up perfectly. Having made the drive a hundred times, I know that a big win is the only thing that makes the long overnight I-81 trip bearable.

Excellent coaching. Excellent play. C.J. was great (for the first time this year, and the first time we needed him to be great). And Parker was the best player on the floor.

That's what basketball is supposed to look like (well, except for the gutless refs abdicating their duty on those dirty plays in the last minute).

Great post! Although concerning #10 I'm wondering, were you expecting JB to run out onto the floor and commit the foul?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom