Upstate-Downstate Classic moved to OCC. | Syracusefan.com

Upstate-Downstate Classic moved to OCC.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Football: The state high school football coaches association has made some changes in the 3-year-old all-star game – the Upstate-Downstate High School Football Classic – that has been played in June at Syracuse University’s Carrier Dome.

The group voted to move the game to Onondaga Community College, where it will be played July 13.

The biggest change is that the game now will feature rising seniors, instead of those who have finished their high school careers.

Players must be nominated by their high school coaches.

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.co...-muscles-changes-to-a-football-all-star-game/

That's too bad. It was nice to have it appear to be loosely affiliated with SU.

Football: The state high school football coaches association has made some changes in the 3-year-old all-star game – the Upstate-Downstate High School Football Classic – that has been played in June at Syracuse University’s Carrier Dome.

The group voted to move the game to Onondaga Community College, where it will be played July 13.

The biggest change is that the game now will feature rising seniors, instead of those who have finished their high school careers.

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.co...-muscles-changes-to-a-football-all-star-game/[/quote

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.co...-muscles-changes-to-a-football-all-star-game/
Why the move from the Dome???

May have been an NCAA issue (this is just my speculation).

I know colleges are not allowed to high school basketball tournaments anymore - same thing may have happened in football.

Since not a lot of people attended the previous classics, maybe a smaller venue was more appropriate. And who wants to be inside the Dome in July.

What's more valuable to SU, hosting an event that features a bunch of graduating seniors four months after signing day, or having an event that gathers the best rising seniors in the state in one place 20 minutes from campus?

The SU football camp dates are all in June this year (Lincoln HS; nice score there, SUNY Maritime and at SU itself, note no Buffalo).

This gives the SU coaches a second chance to look at players who were not available for the camps in Brooklyn, The Bronx or Syracuse.

Linkage

Why not just move it outside, then? Who cares if the weather stinks that day. Better to be on campus than anywhere else.

Probably a NCAA rule. Girls AAU basketball for players beyond 9th can't play tournaments in DIor DII gyms. Gives those schools a recruiting advantade. wow. So instead must find D# gyms or highschools. If it is a big tournament they just pack them in like sardines in small courts. My daughter played in a prestigious tournament in DC where the gut that ran the tournament owned one of the huge gyms. A converted Target store with portable courts. Must have been over 20courts in bldg. He gets his refs for free cause they are being evaluated. Had to be over 100 teams from the NE and they get $750 a team for 5/6 games and $40 entrance per person. Some bucks in that enterprise. Then they charge college coaches for player books.

May have been an NCAA issue (this is just my speculation).

I know colleges are not allowed to high school basketball tournaments anymore - same thing may have happened in football.

The NCAA must have gotten word of Syracuse's sheer dominance over the powerhouse programs for NY state recruits. Landing one or two of the state's Top 10 players on an annual basis is proof of an unfair advantage.

Why not just move it outside, then? Who cares if the weather stinks that day. Better to be on campus than anywhere else.

Jrs., NCAA rules.

Jrs., NCAA rules.
Would there be a way around it if it was held after the school year was completely finished?

The NCAA must have gotten word of Syracuse's sheer dominance over the powerhouse programs for NY state recruits. Landing one or two of the state's Top 10 players on an annual basis is proof of an unfair advantage.
LOL!!!!

The game hasn't exactly been a success. Other than the SU recruits most of the high level players didn't play in the game. The two times I attended, if there were 750 people in attendance I would be surprised. They tried to pair the game with an underclassman combine and those underclassmen made up most of the attendance. The idea of the game was good but it wasn't ever implemented very well. I also question the whole idea of a junior game. If I was still coaching I would have a tough time wanting my players to risk injury a few weeks before the season started. For the majority of the players colleges will already know about them by the time the game comes around and the borderline players will need to show what they can do in real games as seniors. I don't think an all star game after a few days of practice is really going up convince most colleges to offer a kid. Maybe put a kid on the radar but that's about it.

This will work out about as well as when the promoter moved the JazzFest to OCC instead of downtown Syracuse. Completely fell flat.

This is good way to make sure that 250 show for the game instead of 750.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom