USA Basketball Impact | Syracusefan.com

USA Basketball Impact

Henny & Coke

2nd String
Had a thought just now I'd like to get some opinions on. Might be best to lay it out in question form, like this:

Due to our two teams coaches spending so much time together via USA basketball...

1.) ...does this give Coach K an advantage over other teams when preparing to play against SU's 2-3 zone?

2.) ...If Coach K does have such an advantage, is any benefit that Coach Boeheim/SU receives via his relationship with USA basketball "worth more" (then giving an opposing conference coach an advantage against us)?

I wasn't sure if there's really anything to this or not...but I'm sure you all will not hold back in telling me if there isn't haha.

Had a thought just now I'd like to get some opinions on. Might be best to lay it out in question form, like this:

Due to our two teams coaches spending so much time together via USA basketball...

1.) ...does this give Coach K an advantage over other teams when preparing to play against SU's 2-3 zone?

2.) ...If Coach K does have such an advantage, is any benefit that Coach Boeheim/SU receives via his relationship with USA basketball "worth more" (then giving an opposing conference coach an advantage against us)?

I wasn't sure if there's really anything to this or not...but I'm sure you all will not hold back in telling me if there isn't haha.
Well, we have beat Duke 2 of the last 3, so no. I don't think it gives K any advantage.

JB's relationship with USA Basketball and Coach K has been tremendously beneficial to him and to SU basketball.

Coach K very publicly said he would not coach the team through the 2012 and 2016 Olympics unless JB were his top assistant. And Coach K was very outspoken in his defense of JB and Syracuse during the NCAA mess three years ago ... which was picked up by all the respected tv talking heads who pretty much echoed what Coach K said. This was incredibly helpful to us in the court of public opinion because of the respect accorded to Coach K.

It is very prestigious to be associated with USA basketball .. especially over a 10-year period that brought the program back into international prominence after the disaster of 2004. Aside from the a..holes who run the NCAA who had their own agenda (wanting to look "tough" against a name program), people in the know really appreciated JB's contribution. (I was at all three Olympics with USA basketball, so I saw it firsthand).

And, not coincidentally, we would not have had Mike (Silent G) here were it not for Coach K.

I don't think its fair to imply that zone only works because it somehow places the opponent in a trance leaving them unable to execute offense. It is a good defense, when we have the personnel to play it well...just like man defense can be.

It isn't a mystery how to run zone offense. Everyone knows how to do it, some teams do it better than others, not because they've watched the Jim Calhoun 30 second Tournament feature on how to do, but because they have personnel that are better suited to execute the plays that work better against a zone.

Obviously, a great coach has a better chance of preparing his team to execute against it than a medicore coach. A coach with great players, has a better chance getting his team to execute the offense than a coach working with mediocre players. A great coach with great players, all the better.

Duke has a bigger advantage over other non-ACC teams against us because they see us at least once each year making for some familiarity, but that cuts both ways. We know what Duke is likely to do as well and our players have seen and are familiar with their personnel.

It's not magic.

JB's relationship with USA Basketball and Coach K has been tremendously beneficial to him and to SU basketball.

Coach K very publicly said he would not coach the team through the 2012 and 2016 Olympics unless JB were his top assistant. And Coach K was very outspoken in his defense of JB and Syracuse during the NCAA mess three years ago ... which was picked up by all the respected tv talking heads who pretty much echoed what Coach K said. This was incredibly helpful to us in the court of public opinion because of the respect accorded to Coach K.

It is very prestigious to be associated with USA basketball .. especially over a 10-year period that brought the program back into international prominence after the disaster of 2004. Aside from the a..holes who run the NCAA who had their own agenda (wanting to look "tough" against a name program), people in the know really appreciated JB's contribution. (I was at all three Olympics with USA basketball, so I saw it firsthand).

And, not coincidentally, we would not have had Mike (Silent G) here were it not for Coach K.
I think that his question is whether Jimmy's personal relationship w/ K will help him beat Duke in the Sweet Sixteen, all other factors being equal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom