USA Lacrosse Preseason Top 20 | Syracusefan.com

USA Lacrosse Preseason Top 20

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I think this was already posted, but felt like it should get it's own thread. Not sure how anyone in their right mind can rank Denver 13th. I'm not sure they should even be in the top 20. Saint Joe's seems criminaly low at 20. UNC at 17 makes no sense to me. I would have Duke below both Yale and Penn. This list to be honest looks like a random name generator after the top six.

unc in the top 20 is tragic and underscores a complete lack of knowledge or creativity in whoever made this list. just default to the team you've heard of i guess. the heels were a genuinely bad team in the last month of the season in 2022 and then lost the best player in program history. you do the math

Sad seeing that list of schools and no Syracuse. Warranted but sad.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I'd probably drop Georgetown down to like 6.

NIKE/USA LACROSSE
DIVISION I MEN’S PRESEASON TOP 20​

1. Virginia
2. Maryland
3. Georgetown
4. Cornell
5. Princeton
6. Notre Dame
7. Duke
8. Yale
9. Penn
10. Rutgers
11. Ohio State
12. Brown
13. Denver
14. Delaware
15. Harvard
16. Boston University
17. North Carolina
18. Jacksonville
19. Navy
20. Saint Joseph’s

Also considered (alphabetical order): Johns Hopkins, Richmond, Syracuse, Utah, Villanova

Sort of looks like a #9 in the background of one of these pictures carrying a long stick for OSU:

Sort of looks like a #9 in the background of one of these pictures carrying a long stick for OSU:
that's definitely hudgins although oftentimes players who are ineligible to play in games are still allowed to practice, so not sure that photo settles his status for the spring

As much as we struggled last year, I think we will surprise some people this season IF we get some decent fogo and defense. At a minimum, it will be fun to watch the young stars develop.

I was curious to read this write-up and to try to figure out why they have UNC at #17. It appears that they are rather positive on UNC's transfers. Under the Logan McGovern blurb, they mention that UNC's starters on attack combined for 17 points in fall ball against Harvard.

I was curious to read this write-up and to try to figure out why they have UNC at #17. It appears that they are rather positive on UNC's transfers. Under the Logan McGovern blurb, they mention that UNC's starters on attack combined for 17 points in fall ball against Harvard.

I too am perplexed that polls are so high on the Tar Heels after last year. Reading the piece made me wonder if I have discounted some of their transfers and that they really have improved more than I thought they did. They did get some good players from programs that don't get a lot of national attention (Marist, Bryant, Mercer, Bucknell) and maybe that makes them seem less impressive. After the reading the article I am sold a little bit more than I have been.

I might be reading into it more than I should be I do get the sense that Breshi is throwing some past members of the team under the bus. To wit:

"We’re deeper than we’ve been in a while. That’s a good thing,” Breschi said. “There’s not going to be a focal point in the offense like Chris Gray, but more of six guys in unison playing together. I love it.”

Feels like something if Gary Gait said we'd be at Defcon 5 about.

And then the author brings up the departures of Jacob Kelly and Nicky Solomon and this quote appaers:

“Teams short-sticking our attackmen is something that can’t happen,” Breschi said. “Once that happens, you become one-dimensional at the midfield. Sometimes you roll into big-little and become one-dimensional offensively. I do think we have guys who can break down short sticks. That’s what I’m excited about.”

Of course he's not wrong, Kelly and Solomon did underperform last year, but it's a little curious he throws as much shade as he does. The reporter doesn't ask him directly about Kelly or Solomon, but it's pretty clear who he's talking about.

These articles have been really good by US Lax, I've learned a lot from them regarding who has been practicing well and which newcomers might see time. Coaches have been really forthcoming in them. Really too bad Syracuse isn't ranked in the top 20 since I'd love to read one of these on the team.

I too am perplexed that polls are so high on the Tar Heels after last year. Reading the piece made me wonder if I have discounted some of their transfers and that they really have improved more than I thought they did. They did get some good players from programs that don't get a lot of national attention (Marist, Bryant, Mercer, Bucknell) and maybe that makes them seem less impressive. After the reading the article I am sold a little bit more than I have been.

I might be reading into it more than I should be I do get the sense that Breshi is throwing some past members of the team under the bus. To wit:

"We’re deeper than we’ve been in a while. That’s a good thing,” Breschi said. “There’s not going to be a focal point in the offense like Chris Gray, but more of six guys in unison playing together. I love it.”

Feels like something if Gary Gait said we'd be at Defcon 5 about.

And then the author brings up the departures of Jacob Kelly and Nicky Solomon and this quote appaers:

“Teams short-sticking our attackmen is something that can’t happen,” Breschi said. “Once that happens, you become one-dimensional at the midfield. Sometimes you roll into big-little and become one-dimensional offensively. I do think we have guys who can break down short sticks. That’s what I’m excited about.”

Of course he's not wrong, Kelly and Solomon did underperform last year, but it's a little curious he throws as much shade as he does. The reporter doesn't ask him directly about Kelly or Solomon, but it's pretty clear who he's talking about.

These articles have been really good by US Lax, I've learned a lot from them regarding who has been practicing well and which newcomers might see time. Coaches have been really forthcoming in them. Really too bad Syracuse isn't ranked in the top 20 since I'd love to read one of these on the team.
Logan McGovern is a very good player. He's a QB who can run an offense and score. Watched him play a lot and gotta root for him being he's battled Cystic Fibrosis his whole life. He's not Chris Gray obviously but he's a solid pickup for them who will help out big time. I still think Cuse has a better team and will finish ahead of them.

I guess we have a few more reviews to read through:

denver at 13 is wild. that's 7 spots higher than where they were ranked at the end of last season, and now they lose 5 of their top 6 scorers. the article keeps talking about how good the defense is but we're they even that good? i don't even see them in the top 30 in goals allowed. they should be outside the top 20 to start '23

really like OSU this year, solid roster top to bottom, blanchard should stop right in at FOGO and what looks like a bunch of impact transfers to make up for the loss of jackson reid. HOWEVER i do not really trust nick myers to get the most out of that group. feel like they often underachieve, especially late in the year

really like OSU this year, solid roster top to bottom, blanchard should stop right in at FOGO and what looks like a bunch of impact transfers to make up for the loss of jackson reid. HOWEVER i do not really trust nick myers to get the most out of that group. feel like they often underachieve, especially late in the year
I tend to disagree with you. I have noticed NIck Myers get more than I expected out of his group of players several times, like for instance last season or 2017 when OSU made it to the NCAA final. It's not like OSU is loaded with highly rated recruits like UNC for example.

I tend to disagree with you. I have noticed NIck Myers get more than I expected out of his group of players several times, like for instance last season or 2017 when OSU made it to the NCAA final. It's not like OSU is loaded with highly rated recruits like UNC for example.
breschi stinks, you'll get no argument from me on that. he's an underachiever. don't know what that has to do with OSU though.

2017 was an outlier in terms of myers' career. other than that it has been a ton of mediocrity. he's only made the ncaa tournament 4 total times in 14 years. they've been .500 or worse in half of those seasons. they had one of the worst collapses of all time in 2019 after starting 7-0 and then going 1-4 in big ten play to miss the tourney. were not any good in 2021 and then feel as though they were gifted a tournament spot last year. they've NEVER won the big ten, something penn state and johns hopkins have done. they've only ever made the big ten final twice out of seven chances, with the last one coming in 2017. and that's despite hopkins trending down in that time and rutgers not being good until 2021.

all of that being said, i like their team this year.

breschi stinks, you'll get no argument from me on that. he's an underachiever. don't know what that has to do with OSU though.

2017 was an outlier in terms of myers' career. other than that it has been a ton of mediocrity. he's only made the ncaa tournament 4 total times in 14 years. they've been .500 or worse in half of those seasons. they had one of the worst collapses of all time in 2019 after starting 7-0 and then going 1-4 in big ten play to miss the tourney. were not any good in 2021 and then feel as though they were gifted a tournament spot last year. they've NEVER won the big ten, something penn state and johns hopkins have done. they've only ever made the big ten final twice out of seven chances, with the last one coming in 2017. and that's despite hopkins trending down in that time and rutgers not being good until 2021.

all of that being said, i like their team this year.
When Myers started out OSU had a year in the GWLL and then 5 in the ECAC and OSU was sort of a mid major type team.

OSU seems to have problems getting top east coast kids to go out to Columbus. Although Myers does well with MD/DC. I have been somewhat impressed with the way he has cobbled together teams with transfers, Canadians, and whatever he can get.

I have for the most part only followed OSU since the formation of the Big Ten.

They have had winning records 5 of the 7 full seasons since the start of the Big Ten and were 5-2 in 2020. They have made the NCAA tmt 3 of those 7 years, which is third behind UMd and Hopkins in the Big Ten.

OSU beat Notre Dame 14-11 last year.

When Myers started out OSU had a year in the GWLL and then 5 in the ECAC and OSU was sort of a mid major type team.
lol give me a break the program had been around since the 70s and he took over a year after they made the quarterfinals. if THE ohio state university was ever a mid major type team then they still are because the program isn't really in any better shape now than when myers took over

Jacksonville may be doing their best impression of the cuse Michigan scrimmage last year.

lol give me a break the program had been around since the 70s and he took over a year after they made the quarterfinals. if THE ohio state university was ever a mid major type team then they still are because the program isn't really in any better shape now than when myers took over
agreed, thought they'd be a more regular player in quarters by now. plus, they get half the u-19 team every 4 years, they must have at least some.talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom