USA LacrosseMag: Early 2023 Rankings | Syracusefan.com

USA LacrosseMag: Early 2023 Rankings

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Syracuse tied with Johns Hopkins at 25. Behind Utah, Loyola, Army and Villanova. I think both Hopkins and the Orange should be ranked above certainly Loyola and Army given how much talent both those teams lost, but we shall see. Seems SU does their best work with the expectations are lowest. They will do five teams a day until Friday.

Syracuse tied with Johns Hopkins at 25. Behind Utah, Loyola, Army and Villanova. I think both Hopkins and the Orange should be ranked above certainly Loyola and Army given how much talent both those teams lost, but we shall see. Seems SU does their best work with the expectations are lowest. They will do five teams a day until Friday.

Agreed on Loyola and Army. If they want to put Utah and Nova ahead of us that is fine by me for now, although I think that looks quite different at the end of next season. Not sure on their eligibility, but Nova has 6 of their top 7 points producers listed as seniors. Cambell will be back I believe and he is a player. Solid campaign by Nova last year. Played Ivy teams and Gtown close and finally beat denver. Big east footage is hard to come by so I feel like I never have a truly educated opinion on what goes on there.

Also a hilarious fun fact that I just realized, Brett Baskin, who was often dissed by the hopkins faithful, put up more points for nova last year than any Hopkins player. Not bad little man, not bad at all.

SU should be somewhere between 15-20, the amount of incoming talent alone (transfer/frosh) takes them above some of the teams you mentioned. Goalie question seems to have been answered but there are definitely still some concerns at FOGO and Close D. Still 25 seems low for both SU and Hopkins.

nova will be irrelevant like always. getting ranked top 20 in the preseason poll is their super bowl.

hop and cuse both too low. recency bias understandably has people low on both programs but they will be better in 2023.

utah as no business being on this list

loyola was a disaster last year and loses everybody. maybe losing everybody will be a good thing but i'm not seeing a whole lot of talent on that roster.

i'm fine with army where they are. losing nichtern takes them out of the "contender" tier but think Alberici has earned the benefit of the doubt. they should still be competitive

We get the next 5 today
16 Jacksonville
17 Boston University
18 Denver
19 Richmond
20 Navy
No UNC yet. I think he will have 6 Ivy League, top 3 ACC, top 3 Big Ten, Georgetown, and Delaware - that gives 14. Another team he could have in the top 15 is St. Joseph's.

We get the next 5 today
16 Jacksonville
17 Boston University
18 Denver
19 Richmond
20 Navy
No UNC yet. I think he will have 6 Ivy League, top 3 ACC, top 3 Big Ten, Georgetown, and Delaware - that gives 14. Another team he could have in the top 15 is St. Joseph's.

UNC should not be ranked in the top 15. I don't think they should be unranked, I would probably have them above Army and Loyola, but they are not a top 15 team. Guess we will find out.

I still think talent wise Syracuse is better than a lot of these teams. I don't think Denver will be very good this year, they seem to be getting by on their "name" for these rankings. I might rank BU and Jacksonville higher than 17 and 16, we will have to see who he ranked higher. Richmond lost a good amount last year and I don't think Navy showed a whole lot last year besides beating Hopkins.

Well, at least UNC is at #15 and not #11.
I would probably put MIchigan and PSU in my top 25.
With Michigan, you feel like you are playing "Cry Wolf", but of course in the fable the wolf did finally come. MIchigan returns almost everything. Not a great year for Michigan last year, although they did pummel Delaware 18-8. They return a nice attack in Zawada, Boehm and Cohen - and perhaps Bryce Clay will return for a 5th year. Solid face-offs with Rowlett and Wiefeldt. Sophomore Shane Carr did a solid job in goal this past spring.

PSU was really beset by injuries this past spring. Their top attackman TJ Malone was out and their 2nd best guy Jack Traynor played just 6 games. Assuming TJ Malone returns for a 5th year, they should be able to put together a decent offense. They got a good contribution from freshman Will Pedan (33 points) and some of their other young players made nice contributions too. Of course, they added UNC's highly touted freshman face-off man, Mullin, as a transfer.

Final five released. Cornell seems too low. I think i've come around to the idea that Maryland should be #1. They lose a ton, but they were so far ahead of everyone last year they should still be the best in the country. I don't think they come close to going undefeated, but they still have a ton of talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom