USC heavily involved in the bribery scandal | Syracusefan.com

USC heavily involved in the bribery scandal

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
When Gross came here and wanted to create USC EAST, I am glad his mission didn’t come to be. A lot of their coaches were in on the take. I’m so glad Gross and his acolytes are gone. Say what you want about Jake but he understood how to run an athletic dept for many years

When Gross came here and wanted to create USC EAST, I am glad his mission didn’t come to be. A lot of their coaches were in on the take. I’m so glad Gross and his acolytes are gone. Say what you want about Jake but he understood how to run an athletic dept for many years

Gross did enough with the Fab Melo scandal to earn a sleazebag merit badge while he was here.

Gross was hired as AD by SU 2005. This current scheme was started in 2011.

Doesn't mean there wasn't something else going on, but let's not accuse him of something he had no part in.

This college admissions scandal is a joke. Like the wealthy haven't used their money, power, connections, etc. on most things in this country that affords them all of the privileges they attain over the other 90% of the population. Hypocrisy at the highest level.

This college admissions scandal is a joke. Like the wealthy haven't used their money, power, connections, etc. on most things in this country that affords them all of the privileges they get over the other 90% of the population. Hypocrisy at the highest level.
Yeah, just go old school and donate a building. No need for cheating.

How the heck they passed a kicker off, as legit, is beyond me. Andre Szmyt would disapprove.

Wonder if that's the one that raised eyebrows, as every other sport was lower profile.

We shouldn't cast stones at glass houses. SU has a bit of troubled history - particularly with athletics.

The whole education system is corrupted - 360 degrees. From Charter Schools (and their business laden incentives) to the student loan system allowing effectively unlimited loans to allow kids to go to FOR PROFIT universities to the ridiculous costs of college (whether private or public) to admissions/bribes of high level hoops and football players to this latest crappy scandal. And it's nothing new. For God sakes - our PRESIDENT has his "fixer" threatening universities about releasing his grades and/or SAT scores.

Rant over. Sad stuff. Completely depressing.

back-to-school-melon-business-school.jpg

Apparently most of these folks are very well-off, but not well-off enough to be able to donate a building like Kushner did. The schemer said there are three ways to get into a school, through the front door based on your record, through the back door by donating a building, or his way which he called the side door.

This college admissions scandal is a joke. Like the wealthy haven't used their money, power, connections, etc. on most things in this country that affords them all of the privileges they attain over the other 90% of the population. Hypocrisy at the highest level.
Are you saying the rich get a pass? Not following what you mean.

when i went to grad school there, they paid me. full ride plus an $1800 monthly stipend (which wasn't a lot but went a lot farther 20 years ago than now).

people are rightly outraged, but when the well-off are paying tens or hundreds of thousands just to get in the door, while the son of a cny janitor is getting paid to come - that seems like a little bit of balance

its a private school, should be able to take bids to get kids in
I would tend to agree, but for the fact they are NFP and take Federal student loans and hold themselves out to be merit based.
Go private, for profit, student funded. Put spots up for bid each year.

The best way in is transfer. Much less stringent admissions,bc if you flunk out, it does negatively impact the stats.

I read that the one woman paid half a million dollars to get her kid into USC.
Are you kidding me? That kind of money would have gotten you into Harvard!

when i went to grad school there, they paid me. full ride plus an $1800 monthly stipend (which wasn't a lot but went a lot farther 20 years ago than now).

people are rightly outraged, but when the well-off are paying tens or hundreds of thousands just to get in the door, while the son of a cny janitor is getting paid to come - that seems like a little bit of balance

There's a difference between paying full price tuition and paying to bribe someone to let you in the door. By bribing, they took the spot of some other son/daughter of a janitor out there that didn't get accepted to the school because their spot was taken.

I read that the one woman paid half a million dollars to get her kid into USC.
Are you kidding me? That kind of money would have gotten you into Harvard!
I'm hearing reports that the USC slots were in the Film School and not the liberal arts school. That makes a lot more sense.

I'm hearing reports that the USC slots were in the Film School and not the liberal arts school. That makes a lot more sense.

I thought I read it was about getting her 2 girls on to the crew team, even though they had never rowed before. What??

I thought I read it was about getting her 2 girls on to the crew team, even though they had never rowed before. What??
My understanding was that they were going to use admits allotted to the crew team to get them into the Film School. None of the kids involved that used athletic admit slots played that sport in HS.

On a separate note, very few D-1 varsity women rowers were on rowing teams in HS. UVa has a sculling pair that ended up rowing in the Olympics and only started rowing in college. I want to say they were volleyball players in HS, because they were both about 6' tall.

I Saw the girl was notified while on USC’s yacht while on spring break. All I could think of, is how much does the school having a private Yacht help recruiting? I mean does Syracuse have a yacht? Or Maybe a tobaggan?

There's a difference between paying full price tuition and paying to bribe someone to let you in the door. By bribing, they took the spot of some other son/daughter of a janitor out there that didn't get accepted to the school because their spot was taken.
It’s certainly wrong. But I’m guessing they took the spot of a person who would have paid full shot to get in, not someone who would be getting aid. Just a guess.