Using Exhibition games to predict the season | Syracusefan.com

Using Exhibition games to predict the season

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I see a lot of posters making definitive opinions both positive and negative about the team so I decided to go back and look at our exhibition game history starting in 2009. I wanted to see if any of the games showed what players would have success in a given year and whether or not exhibition results showed us to be either a good team or a mediocre team. The results seem mixed on what to take from these games. Some guys had great games in the exhibitions and did nothing that season in a Syracuse uniform and other guys struggled and had great seasons. Surprisingly 2 of our best teams played the worst in the exhibition games(2009/2011). Key comments are posted in bold.

2009 Game 1: Beat Cal State LA 97-54:

James Southerland was our scoring leader with 19 points as a freshman. He got into 13 games all year. He finished behind Mookie Jones and Dashonte Riley in appearances. Andy Rautins went 1-7 and at the time was the whipping boy of the team. We know how that season ended up. He was our 2nd best player. Wes Johnson only had 8 points.

2009 Game 2: :Lost to Lemoyne 82-79

Wes scored 34, but it was a rough game for just about everyone else outside of Rick Jackson. Everyone thought the sky was falling after that game, but we went 30-5. Game meant nothing to the season.

2010 Game 1: Beat Kutztown 96-60

It was a balanced effort across the board. 5 guys were in double figures including Mookie Jones. It was a bit of a rough start for our freshman. Dion went 3-9 and Fab had 5 turnovers.

2010 Game 2: Beat Lemoyne 91-48

I assume JB really hammered home the fact what happened the year before. Rick Jackson had the worst game of all our regulars and he was arguably our best player that year. He was 1-7 overall. Mookie Jones again had a good game off the bench with 14 points. He never was a regular here.

2011 Game 2: Beat Cal State LA 79-49

Nothing of note. Like the rest of that season it was a balanced effort across the board. 10 guys played 15 minutes.

2011 Game 2: Beat College of St Rose 87-69.

It was a balanced effort across the board. We only had 2 guys in double figures and one was our fourth guard MCW. JB was not happy about the rebounding or the effort in the first half when the score was tied at 30 going into the break. We went 34-3. This was a bad game, but it had zero correlation to how we would play all year even though most people expected us to be good

2012 Game 1: Beat Pace 99-63

We dominated throughout and had 6 guys in double figures.

2012 Game 2: Beat Bloomberg 103-60

Again dominated from start to finish. Triche/MCW/Southerland/CJ all had really good games and we relied on them all year. Went 30-10 and lost in the FF. I think most people expected us to be a good team that year.

2013 Game 1: Beat HFT 79-41

Ron Patterson was one of our best players with 3 threes this game and he did absolutely nothing in his orange career.

2013 Game 2: Beat Ryerson 81-46

Dominated from start to finish and CJ was the lead guy in a year where he was an All American. We were 28-6, but collapsed down the stretch.

2014 Game 1: Beat Carleton 76-68

Carleton had given us a tough game the previous summer and were known to be a strong Canadian Program. We fell behind early, but stormed back behind KALEB JOSEPH. I distinctly remember saying after the game that he would be our next one and done. I was wrong.

2014 Game 2: Beat Adrian 84-35

Ron Patterson loved exhibition games in an SU uniform. He again had a great game as did Kaleb Joseph. This was the team that faced the tournament ban and limped to the end of the season after it was announced with an 18-13 record. The team looked much better early than it did late.

2015 Game 1: Beat Lemoyne 97-58

A balanced effort. DeJuan Coleman was our second leading scorer in this one and had 15/7. He basically was the token starter that year with Tyler Lydon replacing him early in games. Kaleb Joseph finished with 11 points

2015 Game 2: Beat Florida Southern 96-54

Another balanced effort. Kaleb Joseph finished with 13 points. He did nothing that season. This was the season where we started out strong. Then JB had his suspension that we struggled through. When he returned we played well for January and half of February before limping to the finish and eventually making the FF. I think this team was better than its record, but they had to deal with a lot of background noise due to JB's suspension

2016 Game 1: Beat Indiana of PA 83-65

Battle and Lydon led us in this game. This is the season JB started us out with the wrong lineup and it was a bit evident in this game as we fell behind early.

2016 Game 2: Beat Lemoyne 97-64

Since 2009 we have hammered Lemoyne every game. Frank Howard played well in this game with 11 and 7. He eventually was replaced in the lineup by John Gillon.

2017 Game 1:Beat Southern New Hampshire 84-54

We were lead by Battle, Oshae and Frank Howard. They were our top 3 guys that entire season.

2018 Game 2: Beat Southern Connecticut State 84-59

Again lead by Battle. Oshae and Frank. Finished 23-14 and went to the sweet 16. It was one of our worst offensive teams ever and it was evident by our shooting in this game. We went 13-46 from 3 in the 2 games.

2019 Game 1: Beat Daemen 90-71

The same team returned plus Elijah Hughess, Buddy Boeheim, JG3, Goodine and Jalen Carey. Battle and Howard were out early that year with injuries. Elijah Hughes talent was evident scoring 24 in 18 minutes with 5 assists. Jalen Carey struggled with 8 points, 1 assist and 5 tunrovers. Goodine had 8 points and 4 turnovers. Jg3 had 8 points, 4 assists, and 3 turnovers. It was evident early that Carey and Goodine could not handle the point for us.

2019 Game 2: Beat Carleton 77-58

Hughes had 15, 10, and 4. Girard scored 14. Buddy had 12. Not much to take from this game. We would have likely missed the tournament or barely been in had there been one.

Last edited:
Coaches want to win these exhibitions and most do purely on talent but the goal for a coach is to get time for everyone and to try different things even if something won’t be used a lot during the season. It’s almost a lab testing various combos, strategies and offensive sets and defenses.

One thing that makes a big difference too is when you are full of young players vs experienced guys. Outside of Benny, Frank and maybe Jesse a little bit- most of the guys were doing their thing. Cole I think had a bit of a point to make as well but otherwise it's a more professional/business like affair to go out and get the season officially rolling.

I see a lot of posters making definitive opinions both positive and negative about the team so I decided to go back and look at our exhibition game history starting in 2009 to see if any of the games showed what players would have success in a given year and whether or not exhibition results showed us to be either a good team or a mediocre team. The results seem mixed on what to take from these games. Some guys had great games in the exhibitions and did nothing that season in a Syracuse uniform and other guys struggled and had great seasons. Surprisingly 2 of our best teams played the worst in the exhibition games(2009/2011). Key comments are posted in bold.

James Southerland was our scoring leader with 19 points as a freshman. He got into 13 games all year. He finished behind Mookie Jones and Dashonte Riley in appearances. Andy Rautins went 1-7 and at the time was the whipping boy of the team. We know how that season ended up. He was our 2nd best player. Wes Johnson only had 8 points.

Wes scored 34, but it was a rough game for just about everyone else outside of Rick Jackson. Everyone thought the sky was falling after that game, but we went 30-5. Game meant nothing to the season.

It was a balanced effort across the board. 5 guys were in double figures including Mookie Jones. It was a bit of a rough start for our freshman. Dion went 3-9 and Fab had 5 turnovers.

I assume JB really hammered home the fact what happened the year before. Rick Jackson had the worst game of all our regulars and he was arguably our best player that year. He was 1-7 overall. Mookie Jones again had a good game off the bench with 14 points. He never was a regular here.

Nothing of note. Like the rest of that season it was a balanced effort across the board. 10 guys played 15 minutes.

It was a balanced effort across the board. We only had 2 guys in double figures and one was our fourth guard MCW. JB was not happy about the rebounding or the effort in the first half when the score was tied at 30 going into the break. We went 34-3. This was a bad game, but it had zero correlation to how we would play all year even though most people expected us to be good

Again dominated from start to finish. Triche/MCW/Southerland/CJ all had really good games and we relied on them all year. Went 30-10 and lost in the FF. I think most people expected us to be a good team that year.

Ron Patterson was one of our best players with 3 threes this game and he did absolutely nothing in his orange career.

Dominated from start to finish and CJ was the lead guy in a year where he was an All American. We were 28-6, but collapsed down the stretch.

Carleton had given us a tough game the previous summer and were known to be a strong Canadian Program. We fell behind early, but stormed back behind KALEB JOSEPH. I distinctly remember saying after the game that he would be our next one and done. I was wrong.

Ron Patterson loved exhibition games in an SU uniform. He again had a great game as did Kaleb Joseph. This was the team that faced the tournament ban and limped to the end of the season after it was announced with an 18-13 record. The team looked much better early than it did late.

A balanced effort. DeJuan Coleman was our second leading scorer in this one and had 15/7. He basically was the token starter that year with Tyler Lydon replacing him early in games. Kaleb Joseph finished with 11 points

Another balanced effort. Kaleb Joseph finished with 13 points. He did nothing that season. This was the season where we started out strong. Then JB had his suspension that we struggled through. When he returned we played well for January and half of February before limping to the finish and eventually making the FF. I think this team was better than its record, but they had to deal with a lot of background noise due to JB's suspension

Battle and Lydon led us in this game. This is the season JB started us out with the wrong lineup and it was a bit evident in this game as we fell behind early.

Since 2009 we have hammered Lemoyne every game. Frank Howard played well in this game with 11 and 7. He eventually was replaced in the lineup by John Gillon.

We were lead by Battle, Oshae and Frank Howard. They were our top 3 guys that entire season.

Again lead by Battle. Oshae and Frank. Finished 23-14 and went to the sweet 16. It was one of our worst offensive teams ever and it wsa evident by our shooting in this game. We went 13-46 from 3 in the 2 games.

The same team returned plus Elijah Hughess, Buddy Boeheim, JG3, Goodine and Jalen Carey. Battle and Howard were out early that year with injuries. Elijah Hughes talent was evident scoring 24 in 18 minutes with 5 assists. Jalen Carey struggled with 8 points, 1 assist and 5 tunrovers. Goodine had 8 points and 4 turnovers. Jg3 had 8 points, 4 assists, and 3 turnovers. It was evident early that Carey and Goodine could not handle the point for us.

Hughes had 15, 10, and 4. Girard scored 14. Buddy had 12. Not much to take from this game. We would have likely missed the tournament or barely been in had there been one.
Excellent summary. I know I have been guilty of taking too much from these games a few times, so now I try to be a bit more conservative. Sometimes they are a good indicator and sometimes not, as your info shows.

Last edited:
I see a lot of posters making definitive opinions both positive and negative about the team so I decided to go back and look at our exhibition game history starting in 2009. I wanted to see if any of the games showed what players would have success in a given year and whether or not exhibition results showed us to be either a good team or a mediocre team. The results seem mixed on what to take from these games. Some guys had great games in the exhibitions and did nothing that season in a Syracuse uniform and other guys struggled and had great seasons. Surprisingly 2 of our best teams played the worst in the exhibition games(2009/2011). Key comments are posted in bold.

Again lead by Battle. Oshae and Frank. Finished 23-14 and went to the sweet 16. It was one of our worst offensive teams ever and it wsa evident by our shooting in this game. We went 13-46 from 3 in the 2 games.

Thanks for spending the time on this - that must have taken a while. It was interesting and fun to sort of relive those games. I also love your comment (and admitting) to your one and done take on Kaleb. :)

I think most of the posters have prominently displayed a disclaimer that "this was against Pace".

Looking at the bolded comments, It seems somewhat more likely that exhibitions give us false negatives than false positives and that the false positives are mostly about young players we weren't going to rely on, (Kaleb being a notable exception to that).

We don't have a lot of depth with Bourama out and JBA an unknown quantity at best at center and just three guys for two positions at guard and forward, (with Chaz Owens being another unknown quantity), so we need the guys who saw significant playing time against Pace to come through for us. We can't afford false positives, so posters are more likely not to see them as false.

Again lead by Battle. Oshae and Frank. Finished 23-14 and went to the sweet 16. It was one of our worst offensive teams ever and it was evident by our shooting in this game. We went 13-46 from 3 in the 2 games.

Holy Moly. Kudos for putting in all this work. Enjoyed it thanks

I too thought Kaleb was going to be a very, very good player for us based on the two exhibitions. He looked REALLY good in those games but could never really turn it on after that.

Which was right on board with how good his tape looked at Cushing too. That one is still an enigma.

I think most of the posters have prominently displayed a disclaimer that "this was against Pace".

Looking at the bolded comments, It seems somewhat more likely that exhibitions give us false negatives than false positives and that the false positives are mostly about young players we weren't going to rely on, (Kaleb being a notable exception to that).

We don't have a lot of depth with Bourama out and JBA an unknown quantity at best at center and just three guys for two positions at guard and forward, (with Chaz Owens being another unknown quantity), so we need the guys who saw significant playing time against Pace to come through for us. We can't afford false positives, so posters are more likely not to see them as false.

For whatever reason there’s a lot of examples of established players struggling in these games while there’s been more instances of young guys and reserves standing out. I’m not sure if that’s because the veterans are going through the motions or the new/reserve guys are amped up to show what they can do.

I too thought Kaleb was going to be a very, very good player for us based on the two exhibitions. He looked REALLY good in those games but could never really turn it on after that.
Kaleb was a miss. He never did anything at Creighton either.

Great post! Enjoyed the analysis. I remember the Southerland performance especially thinking we had another sleeper star. Had a solid career, but not stardom.

Jalen Carey

2018-UConn 3rd game of the season

38 minutes 9-14 FG 7-8 FT 7 Rebs 3 STL 26 Pts (6 TOV)

except for the Villanova game his Freshman season :confused:

yeah and I think you can take even less from a D3 opponent on top of everything, no?

how many of those exhibtions were against D1 teams?

You have way too much free time on your hands.

yeah and I think you can take even less from a D3 opponent on top of everything, no?

D2

Exhibitions can't be against D1 teams. At least if they are open to the public. Some teams played closed exhibitions against other D1 teams.

I know it was only Pace, but it's hard to fake effortless ball handling by forwards 6'8+ against tiny forwards.

All 3 forwards appeared to be light years ahead of Guerrier, Griffin, and Dolezaj at creating buckets off the dribble. Jimmy knows how to use his frame, Cole has a quick extra gear on a athletic frame with a quick pull up, Benny made a play instead of passing out every time he dribbled, and all 3 keep their head up; and appeared to see the entire floor. I don't see that letting up in the next few weeks. My Only sub-minor worry is Jimmy and Cole do start their shooting motion a little lower than Buddy from deep.

I think this team will be unified and play hard. I'm worried about the lack of athleticism on our team when we play good teams that can dominate and overwhelm us with both talent and athleticism. We will miss some of the guys who transferred. The ACC isn't scary as it's been in recent years, so with good overall team play, we might be able to do enough to sneak into the tournament where we are known to cause disturbances.

Rutgers beat Villanova and UConn in scrimmages but are they the best team in the northeast? Probably not by a long shot. Can’t take much from these

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom