USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alsacs

Living Legend
Upcoming schedule for the rest of 2015
Sept. 4th Peru in Washington DC
Sept. 8th Brazil in Foxboro, MA
Oct. 9th Mexico in Pasadena, CA. CONCACAF playoff match winner to 2017 Confederations Cup
Nov. 13th winner of St. Vincent & The Grenadines and Aruba playoff match in St. Louis, MO-2018 WCQ match
Nov. 17th Trindad & Tobago in Port of Spain, T&T- 2018 WCQ match.

ESPN has there projected 2018 squad right now.

i

Oct. 9th Mexico in Pasadena, CA. CONCACAF playoff match winner to 2017 Confederations Cup
Nov. 13th winner of St. Vincent & The Grenadines and Aruba playoff match in St. Louis, MO-2018 WCQ match

i

Bradley is not a #10.

I could see Morris playing off of Altidore instead of Johannson if he continues to develop.

I still think Howard will be the keeper.

I don't worry about the #6. That is one position where we produce an abundance of players.

Lots of young, but very green, talent on D. Will need to learn.

No Green? No Zelalem? No Diskerud?

Bradley is not a #10.

I could see Morris playing off of Altidore instead of Johannson if he continues to develop.

I still think Howard will be the keeper.

I don't worry about the #6. That is one position where we produce an abundance of players.

Lots of young, but very green, talent on D. Will need to learn.

No Green? No Zelalem? No Diskerud?
Klinsmann for some reason didn't include Diskerud on the Gold Cup team not sure why. He was in form as MLS was in season and the guy scored a great goal at Germany to level that friendly.

Howard would be 40, but I agree if he will be part of the national team I would make the starter.

I hope Morris develops I don't know much playing at Stanford will help him. Maybe it will prolong his career since his legs won't be used as much as a youngster.

Back four is by far the biggest need for growth after this Gold Cup.

Green and Zelalem need first club football. Green disappointed at Hamburg I don't know where he is playing this year, but he needs to play. Zelalem is the big question mark. We don't have any players at top 4 EPL clubs, but he is at the reserve Arsenal squad. If the Gunners won't make him a rotation/squad player I hope he gets loaned and develops. He played well at the U-20 WC for the USA.

Qualifying for the 2016 Olympics would be huge for guys like Green and Zelalem they would be able to get playing time in front of a world wide audience and raise their stock.

Klinsmann for some reason didn't include Diskerud on the Gold Cup team not sure why. He was in form as MLS was in season and the guy scored a great goal at Germany to level that friendly.

Howard would be 40, but I agree if he will be part of the national team I would make the starter.

I hope Morris develops I don't know much playing at Stanford will help him. Maybe it will prolong his career since his legs won't be used as much as a youngster.

Back four is by far the biggest need for growth after this Gold Cup.

Green and Zelalem need first club football. Green disappointed at Hamburg I don't know where he is playing this year, but he needs to play. Zelalem is the big question mark. We don't have any players at top 4 EPL clubs, but he is at the reserve Arsenal squad. If the Gunners won't make him a rotation/squad player I hope he gets loaned and develops. He played well at the U-20 WC for the USA.

Qualifying for the 2016 Olympics would be huge for guys like Green and Zelalem they would be able to get playing time in front of a world wide audience and raise their stock.

I'm pretty sure Mix was on the Gold Cup roster, just didn't see much time. Zelalem is one to watch moving forward.

i

BTW, for all the hand-wringing in the media about our dismal performance in the Gold cup, the Gold cup is essentially useless.

The sole purpose in winning it is to get to play in the Confederations Cup. In fact, when the confed cup was not on the line, we would send our B, or even our C, team to play in the Gold Cup.

My opinion is that Klinsmann knows he has a lot of young, raw, inexperienced talent and he needs to figure out who his guys are going to be in 18 - which is really the only thing that matters. Figuring that out is his one, and only, goal.

Winning comes a distant second.

BTW, for all the hand-wringing in the media about our dismal performance in the Gold cup, the Gold cup is essentially useless.

The sole purpose in winning it is to get to play in the Confederations Cup. In fact, when the confed cup was not on the line, we would send our B, or even our C, team to play in the Gold Cup.

My opinion is that Klinsmann knows he has a lot of young, raw, inexperienced talent and he needs to figure out who his guys are going to be in 18 - which is really the only thing that matters. Figuring that out is his one, and only, goal.

His continued faith in Timmy Chandler befuddles most observers. I think the 2 young center backs have promise, athleticism and a comfort level on the ball that the older generation doesn't have. But the older generation are better positionally, and are less likely to have the mental lapses that are the difference between winning and losing at the top level.

His continued faith in Timmy Chandler befuddles most observers. I think the 2 young center backs have promise, athleticism and a comfort level on the ball that the older generation doesn't have. But the older generation are better positionally, and are less likely to have the mental lapses that are the difference between winning and losing at the top level.

I was thinking last night... We need Geoff Cameron to play the CDM role Beckerman was playing. I rememebr Cameron playing a hell of a game there in the WC against Belgium. Unless we put him at center back, Danny Williams could also play the CDM role. Even Bradley, but I doubt Jurgen will play a different CAM.

It will be interesting to see if he makes any changes in the coming friendlies in prep for the MEX game.

I was thinking last night... We need Geoff Cameron to play the CDM role Beckerman was playing. I rememebr Cameron playing a hell of a game there in the WC against Belgium. Unless we put him at center back, Danny Williams could also play the CDM role. Even Bradley, but I doubt Jurgen will play a different CAM.

It will be interesting to see if he makes any changes in the coming friendlies in prep for the MEX game.

I'm expecting a very experienced side against Mexico in the playoff game. Can't afford to risk the lapses that the young defenders have been making with so much on the line.

In the pre-playoff Gold Cup era I agree. Every 2nd Gold Cup didn't really matter. However, with the 2 winners playing for a Confed Cup berth we won't punt away Gold Cups with B or C teams.

I'm expecting a very experienced side against Mexico in the playoff game. Can't afford to risk the lapses that the young defenders have been making with so much on the line.

Agreed.

Besler would remain my first choice. Not sure who my second is. They are all prone to lapses.

Agreed.

Besler would remain my first choice. Not sure who my second is. They are all prone to lapses.

Beasley - Besler - Cameron - Johnson would be my back four..

Assuming a diamond midfield I would go with Bedoya, Bradley, J. Jones, and Mix

Dempsey and Johannsen up top unless Altidore seems fit.

Bring on Yedlin and Morris in the 70th minute for Bedoya and Altidore.

Beasley - Besler - Cameron - Johnson would be my back four..

Assuming a diamond midfield I would go with Bedoya, Bradley, J. Jones, and Mix

Dempsey and Johannsen up top unless Altidore seems fit.

Bring on Yedlin and Morris in the 70th minute for Bedoya and Altidore.

Does Cameron play center back for his club team?

I don't like Mix on the wing.

Beasley is likely done. When are the MLS playoffs? If they are around October 9th I hope the league shuts down during International breaks, but I don't follow MLS enough to know their scheduling.

If Jones plays CB when he comes back to the NE Revolution and does a good job I would consider him and Besler in the middle. Cameron I believe played both central defender and right midfield for the USMNT. At Stoke he mainly plays in the midfield.

Klinsmann loves Brooks no matter how raw he is and he will start most likely.

Howard

I would put Johnson-Besler-Brooks-Yedlin at the back 4.

I hope Zardes-Bradley-Jones-Cameron in the midfield. I would make sure Yedlin and Cameron were on the right together and comfortable together.

Dempsey-Altidore(if he gets healthy)

Does Cameron play center back for his club team?

I don't like Mix on the wing.

Nope, plays outside back for his club. RB. Wouldnt be opposed to seeing him there either.

You could also play Cameron as a defensive mid like we did against belgium and move Jones up to where I had Mix slotted.

Edit: Looks like, as Alsacs said, he plays more midfielf for his club now. Well, we found our defensive mid!

Maybe play Yedlin at LB and move Johson to LM?

If that's our team then we are in trouble... there is not a single game changer in that group.

I think (hope?) that our backline will grow into some consistency between now and the next three years but as of now the only thing that backline has proven is that it's not consistent enough to win games against good teams in real competitions. Some of that is due to a pretty terrible midfield.

Bedoya is a grinder but it's fairly obvious he is not fast enough to play wing at the international level. He'll do okay but again he's not a game changer. Zardes and Shea both lack the small-space ball control to play wing, they have one move, kick the ball and chase it. Neither of these guys are going to scare anyone and both have propensity to get lost on D.

I actually like Williams as the next dmid, I hope he can stay healthy and improve from where he is now.

Bradley should be a game changer but in the last two tournaments that matter the formula for shutting him down has been fairly easy... just cut off his passing angles and he is toast.

Altidore should be another game changer but he frankly looks lost when he plays with the USNT. Not sure what to make of him and where he will be in 3 years. Johansson looks the part but seems disappear for big chunks of a game. The good news is Morris looks like a player and there are young dudes behind them that could play as well.

I'm not saying we are doomed or anything but typically the goal of year 1 post world cup is to identify the core of the team that will get us to the next world cup. I honestly think we have more questions than answers at this point so if I was grading, I would give our team a D. The young dudes who beat Germany and Holland definitely have potential which is the only thing that saves the team from getting an F in my view.

Klinsmann moving forward is my biggest concern. He needs to take a really honest look at the entire pool and give a fair shot to all MLS players and Euro players and he has to drop his stupid grudges and biases towards Euro players (Besler/Feilhaber). We need to pick a team of 22, and a formation and strategy and stick with it for every game moving forward. I don't believe Klinsmann has ever in his 5 years in charge rolled out the same starting team 2 games in a row. The time to transition to the young kids is now... even if there is some short term pain.

Agreed.

I think Gonzalez is the next most dependable defensively. He and Besler have played together a lot, too. I like Brooks and Alvarado for the future, but this is a one-time must-win game.

I think Gonzalez is the next most dependable defensively. He and Besler have played together a lot, too. I like Brooks and Alvarado for the future, but this is a one-time must-win game.

Ok...I'll buy that...and I agree with Yedlin on the right but I would pair him with Bedoya, whose work rate and experience will help to cover if Yedlin gets caught out coming forward.

I would like to see Beasley (left back) and Johnson (left mid) paired on the left with Bradley as the 6 and Dempsey as the 10 and Zardes and Altidore up top.

I defended Bradley's performance at the World Cup because he simply isn't a 10 but that is the position he is forced to play with most midfield combinations and I just don't think he's very effective in that role.

Dempsey isn't a true #10 either but it gets Zardes on the field...and it gets you a #6 who isn't Pirlo but has much better distribution skills than any of our other choices. I think it makes for a more cohesive unit that has a better chance of maintaining possession...

I really think Beasley is done. I don't see Klinsmann calling him up for Mexico match. Whomever Klinsmann calls in for the Peru or Brazil games will be the LB. Beasley will not play in these friendlies during the MLS regular season home stretch.
Question for the MLS fans. How would the MLS Champs do in the Europa League? Would they qualify for the knockout round?

I really think Beasley is done. I don't see Klinsmann calling him up for Mexico match. Whomever Klinsmann calls in for the Peru or Brazil games will be the LB. Beasley will not play in these friendlies during the MLS regular season home stretch.
Question for the MLS fans. How would the MLS Champs do in the Europa League? Would they qualify for the knockout round?

Don't watch enough MLS to answer your question, but that would be intereesting to see.

It would depend on matchupsb (doesn't it always) but there are a number of teams in the third qualifying round that could beat them.

So, my answer to your question is that the MLS champs may not make the group stage, let alone the knockout stage.

It would depend on matchupsb (doesn't it always) but there are a number of teams in the third qualifying round that could beat them.

So, my answer to your question is that the MLS champs may not make the group stage, let alone the knockout stage.
Interesting. I agree matchups matter, but thought the quality of the MLS champ most years would have a high enough co-efficient rating to be automatically in the group stage.

The MLS needs to really have its champion win the CONCACAF champions league over the Mexican teams. Getting a team to the Team World Cup would allow the league to show itself on the world stage.

In the past, I've said that the best MLS teams can compete with mid-table Premier League teams in terms of quality through about the first 5 to 8 players or so. I think the MLS All-Stars would be a Europa League team. I think most teams in MLS are Championship caliber squads, but with some higher skilled players sprinkled in.

Interesting. I agree matchups matter, but thought the quality of the MLS champ most years would have a high enough co-efficient rating to be automatically in the group stage.

The MLS needs to really have its champion win the CONCACAF champions league over the Mexican teams. Getting a team to the Team World Cup would allow the league to show itself on the world stage.

Didn't think of it that way...assumed you meant starting from the 1st qualifier.

I think an MLS champ could qualify but could also be knocked out if they end up in a group with two heavyweight countries.

Reports saying Aron Johansson headed to a Bundesliga top flight squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.