USS Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by OrangeXtreme, Jun 16, 2017.

1. OrangeXtreme

OrangeXtreme Co-Winner 2017 2nd Chance Challenge Staff Member

2. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

Just awful. RIP

3. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

4. Rage4CUSE

Rage4CUSE Starter

5. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

The CO was asleep at 2:30 AM. The destroyer looks like it was T-boned. There's a report of the Philippine ship making a sharp turn. Could this have been intentional?

6. Hoo's That

Hoo's That All Conference

Probably not. The only ship driven more whimsically than a merchant is an aircraft carrier. Their standard excuse #1, "We were trying to keep the wind blowing properly across the deck."

MiniCuse likes this.
  7. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

Some possibilities laid out in this article.

How Could The Navy Destroyer Collision Happen?

8. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

I understand a container ship isn't a 22 foot Sea Ray. Sharp turn was in relative terms.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 12:00 PM
  9. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

seems if the container ship was damaged on the left and the destroyer on the right then either the Philippine ship turned into the destroyer or the destroyer turned in front of the container ship.

10. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

You have to keep wind coming across the bow to launch planes. On a nice windy day, you can launch planes off the pointy end and only be chugging along at a knot or two.

11. Hoo's That

Hoo's That All Conference

A friend was assigned to a can. Their CO had a standing order that when they were operating with a carrier, if there were 2 officers on watch, at least one of them had to have his binocs on the carrier at all times. If the captain came to the bridge and at least one of them wasn't watching the carrier, he would relieve both of them on the spot.

PhatOrange and MiniCuse like this.
  12. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

Probably not a bad idea to keep an eye on the big dog. Particularly in the Arabian Gulf, it's not really that big of a bathtub.

13. CuseFaninVT

`Just saw the photos of the 7 guys who perished in that accident. Amazing to see the diversity of those young men. Parts of our country have come a long, long way.

NineOneSeven, br801 and PhatOrange like this.
  14. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

Vermont has alot in common with whatever nameless place you're trying to say something about. "Diversity" isn't a new thing in the military, I don't know why you're so surprised.

15. CuseFaninVT

This has nothing to do with any other part of the country than Pennsylvania Ave.

I'm not surprised at all, as I've had 20 years of working military folks all around this country in every state, but I bet Donnie-boy was shocked to see so many non-white faces. Just sayin'.

And just to clarify. This has nothing to do with the black face, and much more to do with the brown faces in those photos. You know, the ones our President wants to build a wall to keep out.

And yes, I'm sorry I made this political. I should not have done that in this thread, but sometimes it has to be said.

16. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

I get it, you can't resist politicizing the deaths of Navy shipmates, people like the ones you know well from your own experiences, with unrelated racial nonsense. For some reason I'm not allowed to point this out on here.

17. CuseFaninVT

I was trying not too, but I failed. I own that. But you and I both know there was no way trump would have even considered for a second that the minority of guys who gave the ultimate sacrifice we're white.

18. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

he only wants to keep the illegal ones out.

19. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

I'm sure there are plenty of other threads for this, but whatever, filter everything through the dumb racial prism of the left. So I'm going to do in this thread what sailors on ships have done for years but unfortunately couldn't save the sailors on the Fitzgerald. An emergency egress. Peace.

20. CuseFaninVT

I wonder how many of the 7 he would have considered illegal.

7 Sailors Emerged From Diverse Backgrounds to Pursue a Common Cause

In recent years, the military has tried to draw in immigrants with programs that allow enlistees to become citizens after basic training, attracting about 5,000 takers each year, according to the Defense Department. One out of every 13 sailors is foreign born, the highest proportion in any military branch, according to the Navy. The service regularly holds citizenship ceremonies aboard ships.