Utica College is now Utica University | Syracusefan.com

Utica College is now Utica University

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
I didn't see a thread about this and thought it would interest some. I also heard they were going to move their sports programs up from D3.

For those that don't know Utica college was founded by Syracuse University and was part of SU until the early 90's I believe.

So Syracuse University has spawned SUNY Binghamton, Utica University and Upstate Medical Center.

Not bad.
It's possible that they might move their sports up to D1/FCS. Syracuse could help with that by scheduling money games with them. Also UU could be a "farm" club for Syracuse football.

Their hockey team is currently ranked #2 in D3 so that would be an easy upgrade to consider

It's possible that they might move their sports up to D1/FCS. Syracuse could help with that by scheduling money games with them. Also UU could be a "farm" club for Syracuse football.
Moving all sports from D3 to D1 in one leap seems a stretch. Maybe D2 for a few years, first.

Moving all sports from D3 to D1 in one leap seems a stretch. Maybe D2 for a few years, first.
They have a 1,200 seat stadium.

Colgate (who is a legit FCS team) has a 12,000 seat stadium.
I was told there aren't any or many D2 programs in the region, that where there is D3 there isn't any D2 and vice versa. In football that is.

They could probably try to go D1 in a couple sports.

Football / basketball need a lot of investment and time before that would be possible.

Thanks for posting this. I was planning a vacation to Utica College and this sealed it for me.

Adam Sandler Reaction GIF

I was told there aren't any or many D2 programs in the region, that where there is D3 there isn't any D2 and vice versa. In football that is.
Maybe they could join the Northeast-10 Conference, to make it the Northeast-11 Conference.

Works for Le Moyne.

Maybe they could join the Northeast-10 Conference, to make it the Northeast-11 Conference.

Works for Le Moyne.

There are a couple Buffalo and Rochester area D2 colleges in the East Coast Conference. My guess is they would slot in there.

Works for Le Moyne.

It will be interesting to see which direction they go in. I think they would like their hockey team to be D1, it is very well supported.

They could probably try to go D1 in a couple sports.

Football / basketball need a lot of investment and time before that would be possible.
I believe they were D1 in basketball for awhile in the 80's with Larry Costello as coach. Not exactly sure what happened but they rolled the dice with a local that was a NBA head coach who coached KAJ and Oscar to a championship. Seemed like a good plan.

There are a couple Buffalo and Rochester area D2 colleges in the East Coast Conference. My guess is they would slot in there.
Who are these predominate D2 schools?

I didn't see a thread about this and thought it would interest some. I also heard they were going to move their sports programs up from D3.

Unlikely they move up, costs brought bball back from D1 in the 70s or early 80s I believe. They are continuing to build out the campus, major transformation the last 15+ years

Unlikely they move up, costs brought bball back from D1 in the 70s or early 80s I believe. They are continuing to build out the campus, major transformation the last 15+ years
People that know people involved there told me that. That have some very highly rated programs and I think they want to increase the schools profile, regionally and nationally. They seem to be in a real growth phase.

I cannot even imagine the price tag it would take to get their facilities to a D1 FCS level. Everything I've seen/played on there is fine for an average D3 school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom