UVA AD says ACC should consider partial for Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

UVA AD says ACC should consider partial for Notre Dame

CuseLegacy

I apologize if already posted...

Teel Time: UVa's Littlepage says ACC needs to consider partial membership for Notre Dame

By David Teel
2:35 p.m. EDT, July 25, 2012
Like most ACC officials, including commissioner John Swofford, Virginia athletic director Craig Littlepage dismissed notions last year of Notre Dame joining the conference for all sports except football.
Much has transpired since, most significantly further conference realignment and the adoption of a four-team football playoff starting in 2014. So personal reservations about partial membership aside, Littlepage knows “this kind of discussion has to take place.”
Notre Dame, “is a powerful brand,” Littlepage said via email Wednesday. “Any conference would want to consider their potential value (all in, or partial membership).”
Littlepage’s email confirmed my interpretation of Swofford’s tone Sunday at the ACC’s preseason football gathering. There Swofford, entering his 16th year as commissioner, appeared to ease his hard line on partial membership.
But as well as Notre Dame’s basketball, Olympic sports and academic status mesh with the ACC, inviting the Fighting Irish without their historically independent football program is complex on many levels.
The ACC has never had a partial member, and even if Notre Dame agreed to play 4-6 annual football games against conference teams, projecting potential value and dividing actual revenue would fry many a laptop.
And at day’s end, no matter the secondary considerations, the primary calculation is money. Would such an arrangement — the Irish are in no hurry to forgo football independence — enrich all parties?
Littlepage isn’t sure, and he stressed that “I can only give my own opinions and not those of anyone else at UVA or the ACC. My comments do not necessarily reflect how I might vote as an AD or how UVA might vote if any discussions came to that point.”
Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver declined to comment.
“What is the added value to the ACC of having [Notre Dame] sports other than football?” Littlepage continued. “Do the other … ND sports being in the ACC enhance the ACC brand and prestige to the extent that we all benefit collectively? I don't have that answer yet.
“Finally there are a variety of financial questions about potential revenue and how it would be shared. Unequal sharing of revenues within conferences has been a facilitating factor in some of the expansion moves we've seen already. Needless to say, there are a number of very important topics that would have to be considered.”
Indeed, skewed revenue distribution nearly doomed the Big 12 — the league lost Colorado to the Pacific 12, Nebraska to the Big Ten and Missouri and Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference before regaining traction with the additions of West Virginia and Texas Christian. Similarly, revenue concerns helped drive Virginia Tech, Miami, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia and TCU from the Big East.
Looking to further stabilize, the Big 12 has made overtures to Notre Dame. The school’s coaches, however, would much prefer the ACC’s Eastern markets.
Notre Dame is a partial Big East member, but the conference has fractured and again is searching for a new commissioner. Moreover, the future arrivals of Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida don’t necessarily jazz the Irish.
No matter its affiliation, Notre Dame has quality programs in basketball, lacrosse, tennis, golf, soccer, swimming, fencing and cross country. In the 19-year history of the Directors’ Cup all-sports standings, the Irish have never finished below 31st — their best was sixth in 2005-06.
Some officials believe a few years of partial ACC membership would convince Notre Dame to go all-in, but the Big East thought that, too.
“There is no question that ND is a great academic institution with a fantastic, comprehensive sports program,” Littlepage wrote. “It would take some convincing, however, for me to believe that having only a portion of ND athletics is best for the ACC at this point in time.
“I know there are benefits to expanding the footprint of the ACC in terms of potential media exposure, alumni penetration, and what better institution is there to help accomplish that? At the same time, expanding the footprint brings additional travel in all sports other than football (lost class time, greater expense, physical wear-and-tear, and potentially more travel hurdles for families other than those in the midwest); unlike football, much of the travel is during the week.”
Translation: Notre Dame joining the ACC in any capacity is not imminent. But there’s no denying the concept is percolating.

rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg

I think the ACC would be foolish not to add ND in all sports outside of football, for the simple fact that the landscape of college football is changing by the day.

And once ND realizes it cannot be a sustainable entity without being in a conference in football, they will make the no-brainer choice to join the ACC in football.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Why does ND have to be a member of the ACC in order to play an ACC schedule in their non-football sports? Just have an agreement that all ACC teams will schedule ND JUST LIKE a member -- a full schedule -- but without member standing. No conference championships. They could remain independent, but get all of the games they want.

If their basketball team was good enough, they could still make the NCAAs as an at-large. Same for lacrosse. Their Olympic sports would compete in NCAA championships if they were good enough.

If the ACC were to go to 3 divisions of 6 (18 teams) then they could have ND be part of ACC FB and Indy at the same time. You can divide teams into six pods of three and then rotate who is in what division. So teams would play 7 teams every year and 10 teams once every 5 years. ND would play 6 ACC conf games while everyone else plays 9. The two highest ranked division winners meet in the ACC CG. That allows them to still play USC, Stanford, Michigan, Mich St, Purdue, and Navy every year if they want.

So ND would be a FB member but play 3 less conf games.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Why does ND have to be a member of the ACC in order to play an ACC schedule in their non-football sports? Just have an agreement that all ACC teams will schedule ND JUST LIKE a member -- a full schedule -- but without member standing. No conference championships. They could remain independent, but get all of the games they want.

Does the ACC have the authority to dictate their conference members OOC schedules?

Does the ACC have the authority to dictate their conference members OOC schedules?

I don't know. But I'm sure they could get it. My point is, you treat them just like a member. Without the benefit of standings.

ND can still play Syracuse is basketball and lacrosse. They can play UNC in soccer. FSU is baseball. No need to go to SMU or Boise State. Play a conference schedule while remaining an independent. And build rivalries in the process.

I don't know. But I'm sure they could get it. My point is, you treat them just like a member. Without the benefit of standings.

ND can still play Syracuse is basketball and lacrosse. They can play UNC in soccer. FSU is baseball. No need to go to SMU or Boise State. Play a conference schedule while remaining an independent. And build rivalries in the process.

And no revenue sharing.

If the ACC were to go to 3 divisions of 6 (18 teams) then they could have ND be part of ACC FB and Indy at the same time. You can divide teams into six pods of three and then rotate who is in what division. So teams would play 7 teams every year and 10 teams once every 5 years. ND would play 6 ACC conf games while everyone else plays 9. The two highest ranked division winners meet in the ACC CG. That allows them to still play USC, Stanford, Michigan, Mich St, Purdue, and Navy every year if they want.

Great idea. If Notre Dame was number 15, then the ACC could go out and get Rutgers, UCONN and Temple to round out the league!

Fencing?

Actually, both Duke and UNC have fencing teams. In the BE, (besides ND) only St. Johns does.

I apologize if already posted...

Teel Time: UVa's Littlepage says ACC needs to consider partial membership for Notre Dame

By David Teel
2:35 p.m. EDT, July 25, 2012
Like most ACC officials, including commissioner John Swofford, Virginia athletic director Craig Littlepage dismissed notions last year of Notre Dame joining the conference for all sports except football.
Much has transpired since, most significantly further conference realignment and the adoption of a four-team football playoff starting in 2014. So personal reservations about partial membership aside, Littlepage knows “this kind of discussion has to take place.”
Notre Dame, “is a powerful brand,” Littlepage said via email Wednesday. “Any conference would want to consider their potential value (all in, or partial membership).”
Littlepage’s email confirmed my interpretation of Swofford’s tone Sunday at the ACC’s preseason football gathering. There Swofford, entering his 16th year as commissioner, appeared to ease his hard line on partial membership.
But as well as Notre Dame’s basketball, Olympic sports and academic status mesh with the ACC, inviting the Fighting Irish without their historically independent football program is complex on many levels.
The ACC has never had a partial member, and even if Notre Dame agreed to play 4-6 annual football games against conference teams, projecting potential value and dividing actual revenue would fry many a laptop.
And at day’s end, no matter the secondary considerations, the primary calculation is money. Would such an arrangement — the Irish are in no hurry to forgo football independence — enrich all parties?
Littlepage isn’t sure, and he stressed that “I can only give my own opinions and not those of anyone else at UVA or the ACC. My comments do not necessarily reflect how I might vote as an AD or how UVA might vote if any discussions came to that point.”
Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver declined to comment.
“What is the added value to the ACC of having [Notre Dame] sports other than football?” Littlepage continued. “Do the other … ND sports being in the ACC enhance the ACC brand and prestige to the extent that we all benefit collectively? I don't have that answer yet.
“Finally there are a variety of financial questions about potential revenue and how it would be shared. Unequal sharing of revenues within conferences has been a facilitating factor in some of the expansion moves we've seen already. Needless to say, there are a number of very important topics that would have to be considered.”
Indeed, skewed revenue distribution nearly doomed the Big 12 — the league lost Colorado to the Pacific 12, Nebraska to the Big Ten and Missouri and Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference before regaining traction with the additions of West Virginia and Texas Christian. Similarly, revenue concerns helped drive Virginia Tech, Miami, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia and TCU from the Big East.
Looking to further stabilize, the Big 12 has made overtures to Notre Dame. The school’s coaches, however, would much prefer the ACC’s Eastern markets.
Notre Dame is a partial Big East member, but the conference has fractured and again is searching for a new commissioner. Moreover, the future arrivals of Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida don’t necessarily jazz the Irish.
No matter its affiliation, Notre Dame has quality programs in basketball, lacrosse, tennis, golf, soccer, swimming, fencing and cross country. In the 19-year history of the Directors’ Cup all-sports standings, the Irish have never finished below 31st — their best was sixth in 2005-06.
Some officials believe a few years of partial ACC membership would convince Notre Dame to go all-in, but the Big East thought that, too.
“There is no question that ND is a great academic institution with a fantastic, comprehensive sports program,” Littlepage wrote. “It would take some convincing, however, for me to believe that having only a portion of ND athletics is best for the ACC at this point in time.
“I know there are benefits to expanding the footprint of the ACC in terms of potential media exposure, alumni penetration, and what better institution is there to help accomplish that? At the same time, expanding the footprint brings additional travel in all sports other than football (lost class time, greater expense, physical wear-and-tear, and potentially more travel hurdles for families other than those in the midwest); unlike football, much of the travel is during the week.”
Translation: Notre Dame joining the ACC in any capacity is not imminent. But there’s no denying the concept is percolating.

rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg
rating_off.jpg
bad idea ---nd is nd ---all in or out--5yr commitment---the only concession would be no withdrawl fee after 5yrs. if they stay they sign on as all others have

Let's not fool ourselves, ND is the reason for the problems in the BE.
Do we need them in the ACC for part 2?
Either all in or out.

I think the ACC would be foolish not to add ND in all sports outside of football, for the simple fact that the landscape of college football is changing by the day.

And once ND realizes it cannot be a sustainable entity without being in a conference in football, they will make the no-brainer choice to join the ACC in football.

"And once ND realizes it cannot be a sustainable entity without being in a conference in football, they will make the no-brainer choice to join the ACC in football."

That is EXACTLY what the Big East believed when they brought these schmoes in.

"And once ND realizes it cannot be a sustainable entity without being in a conference in football, they will make the no-brainer choice to join the ACC in football."

That is EXACTLY what the Big East believed when they brought these schmoes in.

True. However, I feel like now, more than ever, you must be affiliated with a "power" conference to be relevant in football. And after ND goes 5-7 or 6-6 three straight years, they'll realize it too.

It might be something to consider if the revenue distribution is right, it's 6 games - NOT 4, and they can't have the rights to the Orange Bowl every 2 years if they have 6 or 7 wins.

Let's see how much weight is given to conference champions in selecting the final four. That will likely determine whether ND ever goes all in.

ND's money should come straight from the ACC office as they take in 1 team share pear year. No extra money coming from ESPN for the non-football, so I would be unwilling to dilute the amount of money I make to bring in non football ND.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea. If Notre Dame was number 15, then the ACC could go out and get Rutgers, UCONN and Temple to round out the league!

Don't you think that creates too much of a logjam in the NE with all three of the UCONN, Rutgers and Temple? Perhaps a UL instead of a Rutgers would be better, taking out the academic deficiencies.

I'm not sure what to think about this.

I'd like to see Lou Holtz spit all over an ESPN anchor desk explaining his thoughts before I decide...

As I suggested before 6 games with the ACC in football, with the games broadcast on NBC, and ACC getting 45% of the revenue. Notre Dame keeps their independence in football, but the ACC generates more revenue, plus gets nationwide exposure. That would be a win, win situation, with some kind of stipulation for them eventually joining for football.

Partial membership will only guarantee that ND NEVER joins for football.. Why should they after they have all the benefits without being a full member. The ND braintrust must be getting a good laugh at the ACC and the old adage about a sucker being born every minute. I hope the ACC is smarter than the Big East on this.

Thank you, Rube Goldberg.