1. If you are getting script errors or redirects, please click here and switch to the "Alternate Style." You can dismiss this notice by clicking the little x at the top right of this box. If you still have a problem, email me at: tom@emery.net
    Dismiss Notice

Va Tech Game Thread

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by OrangeXtreme, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jdubs30

jdubs30 Hall of Fame

We got lucky to beat them last year at the Dome too.

TBH, we can lose 7 total ACC games - and I'd rather lose a road game vs. a decent team than lose a game vs. a team like FSU, ND or Duke which could really help boost or resume. Today doesn't hurt our case in a "bad loss" type of way - it hurts because we now we have room for about 5 more losses

Cusefan0307 and OrangeDW like this.
  2. sugrad68

sugrad68 Walk On

Excellent summary of tonight's game. Maybe VT is simply a solid defensive team because we couldn't even get off any 3s almost the entire game. Thompson was a bright spot tonight. Still gets lost on defense but he seems to be a little bit better. This team simply can't win unless maybe 4 of the 6 players are playing well.

SoBeCuse likes this.
  3. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

Great Analysis. I was thinking the same.

4. SoBeCuse

SoBeCuse All American

Yup. Pissed away nice games by him (offensively) and Battle. Yeah, like you say 4 out of the 6 must play well and both offense/defense must be steady/decent. Or maybe it is sense of urgency. I don't know what this all means. One thing for sure; we CANNOT wait til end of the games to figure out how to play. Gillon should be blasting through that token VT pressure from the get go. Interior D needs to adjust quicker. Lydon needs to not coast at the beginning of games. Ugh.

AZcuse77 likes this.
  5. kirbivore

kirbivore All American

maybe they are all on Nunes Magician

6. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

Actually, he was in the wrong chat room. Two were created at the same time. He found his way over. We had over 40 posters.

7. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

Finally got the chance to watch last night. Our defense was really bad. Gillon and Thompson with their arms down until JB finally screamed at TT. Thompson's defense is just atrocious and will be that way for a long, long time. He doesn't even consider playing hard on that end of the floor. The one follow-up slam in the second half was completely his fault. Doesn't even think about finding a body to box out when the shot goes up. He has some decent offensive moves, but he's right on the edge of traveling nearly every time.

I saw one poster mention the team looked down last night and was tying that to Howard, but they were looking that way long before Howard ever checked into the game.

The thread on Roberson now seems even more ridiculous. Yes, he made a couple bad plays to start, but played pretty well the rest of the game as far as I saw. I think he needs to start to be effective. He's not a high energy off the bench kind of guy. Assuming Lydon's ankle is okay, TT shouldn't start, but come off the bench to provide some instant offense.

SoBeCuse and Cusefan0307 like this.
  8. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

I agree with you that I think Roberson should start because Taurean is a turnstile, but why was he effective against Miami and Pitt then?

9. CuseFaninVT

Which one? Sorry, don't understand the question.

10. Cusefan0307

Cusefan0307 Hall of Fame

Speaking about Roberson. I thought he was the difference in those two games.

tee1222 likes this.
  11. MSOrange

MSOrange 2016 Iggy Winner

I think he is asking that you say Roby is not a high energy off the bench guy, but was effective against Miami and Pitt in that role and is wondering what made him effective in those games in that role.

Cusefan0307 likes this.
  12. CuseFaninVT

Sorry, got caught up in actual work. Man I need to hit the lottery soon.

My answer to that is I don't know. Could be all about what happens first to Roby in the game. He made an immediate mistake and that seemed to sour his attitude against VaTech. Could be something as simple as that.

MSOrange likes this.