Vandy fires Derek Mason / hires Clark Lea | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Vandy fires Derek Mason / hires Clark Lea

Hottest city? Ok

That ruined Austin, Vegas, Seattle, Orlando...it will ruin Nashville too.
Nashville is in a massive real estate bubble that’s as legitimate as Nashville hot chicken being the “go to” dish in the city.

(The East Nashville hot chicken festival started in ~2012, which is roughly when the Nashville real estate bubble began heating up in full force. Tourists and transplants, though, don’t know the context of either the local market or the traditional culinary scene, which is why they pay way too much for both cheap condos and bad Buffalo chicken.)

EDIT: The festival began in 2007. But the spirit of what I wrote remains unchanged.

I spent about 30 years in Middle Tennessee, so passing through, but passing through a lot. And, I like the stuff that you mentioned not liking in an earlier post. But live in Houston and St. Louis, and you might have a newfound appreciation for nice restaurants, nightlife, civic pride, safety, and so on.
I've been in Knoxville for 12 years. Doing home health for a living, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of it. I know people that liked the old city when they were in/just out of college, so they stayed close. Now that they have families they never go there. Once you get away from the old city and downtown, to where most people want to live, the city is fairly ugly. Lots of strip malls, a number of which are empty. Rather than refurbish what is already there, they like to let them sit vacant and build new buildings. The one side of town that is considered nice to live in is the west side, but it's more the west suburbs than the city itself. There is a little revival happening here and there in the city, but a lot of neighborhoods that you can tell were nice in the city at one time are now rundown and places you wouldn't want to live in. Most development keeps pushing west and north where there are subsivisions with closely spaced houses popping up everywhere.

I'm more of a country person. What I miss about CNY is that I could be in the country and still be relatively close to anything I wanted. If I could move southern weather to the north, I'd be back there. That same convenience isn't available here. The infrastructure built a few decades ago doesn't support the population growth the last 10-20 years and the terrain funnels all traffic to only a few routes. There are a few nice parks in the area, so I do like that.

Last edited:
I would think it is easier to recruit to an SEC school than an ACC school. All those kids he gets from Fla, GA, Texas wouldn't it be an easier sell? Vandy doesn't have a big following but with the same success he would see an extra 10k in the stands than he does at Wake. You are also selling a more interesting city to the kids.
It's easier to recruit to an SEC state school, not the lone private school. Nobody cares about Vanderbilt football.

People really overestimate how much athletes care about how interesting a school's city is. If that mattered, Ga Tech would out recruit Georgia. Kids wouldn't go to Alabama or Florida. Kids wouldn't choose Tennessee over Vanderbilt. Northwestern would recruit better.

I've been in Knoxville for 12 years. Dping home health for a living, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of it. I know people that liked the old city when they were in/just out of college, so they stayed close. Now that they have families they never go there. Once you get away from the old city and downtown, to where most people want to live, the city is fairly ugly. Lots of strip malls, a number of which are empty. Rather than refurbish what is already there, they like to let them sit vacant and build new buildings. The one side of town that is considered nice to live in is the west side, but it's more the west suburbs than the city itself. There is a little revival happening here and there in the city, but a lot of neighborhoods that you can tell were nice in the city at one time are now rundown and places you wouldn't want to live in. Most development keeps pushing west and north where there are subsivisions with closely spaced houses popping up everywhere.

I'm more of a country person. What I miss about CNY is that I could be in the country and still be relatively close to anything I wanted. If I could move southern weather to the north, I'd be back there. That same convenience isn't available here. The infrastructure built a few decades ago doesn't support the population growth the last 10-20 years and the terrain funnels all traffic to only a few routes. There are a few nice parks in the area, so I do like that.
I’ve lived all over, but NY state has always felt most “home.” I’ll definitely give you that.

Wake and Vandy are pretty much the same school. Why not get paid more and live in a nicer place?
10x harder to win at vandy in the sec, with that being said he'd be a homerun hire for them IMO. They'd make consistent bowls and have a solid program, wonder hm clawson would want, personally don't think he's a top tier compete for titles coach but he's perfect for wake and would be for vandy.

I've been in Knoxville for 12 years. Doing home health for a living, I'm pretty familiar with a lot of it. I know people that liked the old city when they were in/just out of college, so they stayed close. Now that they have families they never go there. Once you get away from the old city and downtown, to where most people want to live, the city is fairly ugly. Lots of strip malls, a number of which are empty. Rather than refurbish what is already there, they like to let them sit vacant and build new buildings. The one side of town that is considered nice to live in is the west side, but it's more the west suburbs than the city itself. There is a little revival happening here and there in the city, but a lot of neighborhoods that you can tell were nice in the city at one time are now rundown and places you wouldn't want to live in. Most development keeps pushing west and north where there are subsivisions with closely spaced houses popping up everywhere.

You don't find that in Nashville? I was there for a few days and the 'country' to city distance reminded me of Syracuse. 15/20 minutes and I was in the middle of rural nowhere. Loved it.

Knoxville is really nice - surprisingly so. Chattanooga is good, too.

The best part of Memphis is leaving with BBQ. The best part of the non-urban part of the state is leaving with the hopes that you might head to Blacksburg (to then drive through Blacksburg without stopping in your way to NOVA).

And, if you do leave the non-urban part of the state and find yourself in “not Virginia,” then you struck out.

Not sure I could live there (unless it was on Lookout Mtn) but I liked Chattanooga, ate at a decent BBQ place called Sticky Fingers.

Last edited:
You don't find that in Nashville? I was there for a few days and the 'country' to city distance reminded me of Syracuse. 15/20 minutes and I was in the middle of rural nowhere. Loved it.
I haven't been to Nashville much. I was commenting on Knoxville. I've heard from others that have lived in the area that Nashville can have some bad traffic. I wonder if it depends on what direction you have to commute to/from.

Last edited:
Ok. Is that enough? Are Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga as desireable? There are 7 states with no state income tax. Are the cities in those states as desirable. There has to be more than just taxes.

Back in 2014 Steven and I went to a Memphis camp. Stopped by a convenience store a few miles from the complex. Went into the bathroom. Blood was all over the place. Someone had just been stabbed not too long before we got there.

Won't ever live in Memphis. Not a big fan of Nashville or Knoxville, either. The only reason I like Chattanooga is the aquarium, otherwise no thanks.

BTW, Murfreesboro kinda sucks, too.

I haven't been to Nashville much. I was commenting on Knoxville. I've heard from others that have lived in the area that Nashville can have some bad traffic. I wonder if it depends on what direction to you have to commute to/from.

It does. Worse than Knoxville, in my experience.

Not sure I could live there (unless it was on Lookout Mtn) but I liked Chattanooga, ate at a decent BBQ place called Sticky Fingers.
I ate there once. It was good. I like Dinosaur sauce more.

Back in 2014 Steven and I went to a Memphis camp. Stopped by a convenience store a few miles from the complex. Went into the bathroom. Blood was all over the place. Someone had just been stabbed not too long before we got there.

Won't ever live in Memphis. Not a big fan of Nashville or Knoxville, either. The only reason I like Chattanooga is the aquarium, otherwise no thanks.

BTW, Murfreesboro kinda sucks, too.
Wait, so there was a stabbing in the restroom and they let people in there before cleaning it? Are you sure you weren't in Florida?