VB All Ohioan picks Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

VB All Ohioan picks Syracuse

CuseLegacy

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...ie-weaver-syracuse-volleyball-bound/18432083/

LEXINGTON – Bobbi Weaver knew the drill.
As a guidance counselor at Lexington, she's helped countless students with college decisions. As a volleyball coach, she's been a part of the recruiting process for Division I athletes. She even went through it when she decided to go to Ashland University after high school.
But this time was different. Not only was she the counselor and coach of a student-athlete, she was also the mother.
"I told her, 'I had my dream, sister. This is your dream. You don't ever have to be compared to me or follow in my footsteps. If you don't want to play volleyball, you don't have to play volleyball, but this is your decision,'" Bobbi said.
Yeah, right Mom. There was no doubt Mackenzie Weaver was going to play major college volleyball if she got the chance. Former Madison standout Kelly Campbell did it and Mackenzie planned to follow.
"She worshiped Kelly. That's why she wears No. 17," Bobbi said of her daughter who was picked Monday as a Division II first-team All-Ohioan, one of eight area players to make All-Ohio.
In fact, it was Campbell who helped in the recruitment of her protege. After playing at Pacific and finishing at Pittsburgh, Campbell was working in the Syracuse Athletic Department's compliance office and helped tip off new Syracuse coach Leonid Yelin about Mackenzie.
Having competed at the highest level of club volleyball, Mackenzie played in front of all the top college coaches last spring and summer. The 6-1 left-side hitter who plays in the back row and also played setter in the past was being heavily recruited by Rutgers, Kent State, Indiana, Mississippi, Akron, Kentucky, Central Florida and Ashland, but Syracuse was her favorite.
"The coach is amazing. I love him to death. He coached at Louisville (for 15 years). He brings in kids from all over the world to play. I can see myself their on campus. It's a really cool atmosphere to play in," Mackenzie said of the team that is in rebuilding mode this year with an 8-15 record and six international players on the roster.
Yelin, in just his second year with the Orange, came to Lexington for clinic this summer. On her recruiting visit she had lunch with the school's chancellor and his wife who once played professional volleyball in Hong Kong. She also got to meet with men's basketball coach and Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim.

While other university's put demands and deadlines on her decision, Syracuse did not.
"The Syracuse coach said I believe you'll make the right decision, and if it's not Syracuse, then I'm OK with that and I hope you have a great career," Mackenzie recounted.
The soft sale proved to be the right sale for Mackenzie.
"My mom wanted me to wait as long as I could to see what my options were, but when I got the call there was nothing else. I knew," she said.
Late this summer before the start of her junior year at Lexington, Mackenzie verbally committed to the Orange. However, Campbell has moved onto the headquarters of the Atlantic Coast Conference of which Syracuse is now a member.
"She felt very wanted at Syracuse," Bobbi said. "You know when you now and it feels right. She knew at some of the different places this isn't for me."
In Weaver's day and even in Campbell's a decade ago, recruiting didn't heat up until the junior season. That's no longer the case with the nation's elite players.
Mackenzie first started getting serious inquiries as a freshman, but by the end of her sophomore season, the pace really picked up.
"They send lots of emails and questionnaires to fill out. The more detailed the questionnaires get, the more interested they are in you," Mackenzie said. "Sometimes I would get five of them and I'm like, 'Mom, I just did these two days ago.' It was a lot of fun because some of the questions were really funny."
She tried to make the most of the process, but admitted it got overwhelming at times.
"Some coaches are like if you don't commit now we're going to find someone else," Mackenzie said.
Bobbi did her best to shield her daughter of the nuisance, as all emails and contacts went through Mom/Coach before Mackenzie saw them.
"It's been a long process for her. She didn't get real caught up in it. She was pretty level-headed," Bobbi said.
The early decision freed up her junior year to simply enjoy the high school season. She paced Lady Lex with 422 kills and a .404 hitting percentage. The two-time All-Ohioan also led in aces, digs and serve receptions as Lexington made it to the district finals.
It's that kind of versatility that sold Syracuse on the younger Weaver, but it was also her intensity and passion for volleyball that endeared her to Yelin, a native of Uzbekistan.
"It's been a ride and it's been her decision," Bobbi said. "I said, 'Kenzie, if you want to go to Ashland, you can go to Ashland. There is no pressure. I want you to be a student-athlete, but when you go Division I, I know it's a different commitment.'"
It's a commitment she's willingly embraced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom