VCU vs Vandy last night | Syracusefan.com

VCU vs Vandy last night

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
VCU won in a low scoring affair 48-37. However for VCU, one starter scored 14 points and the other four totalled only eight points. Not sure I have seen that little production out of four starters in a game they won.

Hopefully Cuse will have no problem putting up more than 37 against VCU.

VCU won in a low scoring affair 48-37. However for VCU, one starter scored 14 points and the other four totalled only eight points. Not sure I have seen that little production out of four starters in a game they won.

Hopefully Cuse will have no problem putting up more than 37 against VCU.
They used full court pressure against Vandy most, if not all game long. Even in the half court, they extended their man defense and really got in Vandy's face. It destroyed Vandy's ability to run their offense.

VCU paid a price for using such an aggressive defense. They got into serious foul trouble. But they had enough depth to navigate through it.

We have faced some token pressure in a couple of games but nothing like this.

This game will be great preparation for what we will see in the ACC. They have the ability to attack our biggest weakness (ball handing). I hope Joe, Symir, Buddy and the forwards who help are up to the task.

Again, it isn't just the pressure to get it over mid court with VCU. They are going to extend their defense and get in our faces when we have the ball and are running our half court offense. We are going to need to have good ball movement and our players on offense are going to need to be very active to do well here.

I think a key will be attacking the rim when we break the press. Get them in severe foul trouble. They seem to have a lot of young players who are athletic but over eager and prone to foolish fouling.

They used full court pressure against Vandy most, if not all game long. Even in the half court, they extended their man defense and really got in Vandy's face. It destroyed Vandy's ability to run their offense.

VCU paid a price for using such an aggressive defense. They got into serious foul trouble. But they had enough depth to navigate through it.

This game will be great preparation for what we will see in the ACC. They have the ability to attack our biggest weakness (ball handing). I hope Joe, Symir, Buddy and the forwards who help are up to the task.

Again, it isn't just the pressure to get it over mid court with VCU. They are going to extend their defense and get in our faces when we have the ball and are running our half court offense. We are going to need to have good ball movement and our players on offense are going to need to be very active to do well here.

I think a key will be attacking the rim when we break the press. Get them in severe foul trouble. They seem to have a lot of young players who are athletic but over eager and prone to foolish fouling.
SU should be able to pass over that kind of pressure and create easy scoring opportunities

Did JAB pay you for that great scouting report? I didn't think you could impress me more than you already do but I'm impressed if you watched all of that game.

Their style of play could make this a trap game. I wouldn’t touch a bet on this game.

But it will answer many of our questions about how this team can/will handle a solid pressure defense.
Absolutely, if they play that pressure D on the ball and we’re able to do well against it, I’ll change my opinion about our guard play after this game.
What's nice is that we have a week to focus on that and make adjustments to our positioning with our length. They can trap and hound our 6' player but the rest of the starters are 6'6, 6'8, 6'9 and 7'. Plus our subs are tall. We can play keep away.

Their style of play could make this a trap game. I wouldn’t touch a bet on this game.
I'll be interested to see where Vegas sets the number. Could be some value if they put a lot of stock in VCU's defensive showings

I'll be interested to see where Vegas sets the number. Could be some value if they put a lot of stock in VCU's defensive showings
Or if we’re favored by 16+, seems like a good time to bet VCU.

It will be about 8 points.

What's nice is that we have a week to focus on that and make adjustments to our positioning with our length. They can trap and hound our 6' player but the rest of the starters are 6'6, 6'8, 6'9 and 7'. Plus our subs are tall. We can play keep away.

And you don’t beat the press with the dribble. You beat it with the pass and many times that’s over the top. Our height will help there.

And you don’t beat the press with the dribble. You beat it with the pass and many times that’s over the top. Our height will help there.
There are multiple ways the skin a cat, I agree the best way is with the pass, but to do that you need to get open and move without the ball well with speed and athleticism which we lack a bit.

I heavy defense on our guards is going to give us fits, nothing more I would like than me being proven wrong.

VCU team is their backups from last year. As long as we don’t bring our D-/F game we should roll. Good team to play early.

Kudos to anybody who watched that whole game. I got about 5 minutes into it before giving up. VCU has short bigs and tall guards, everyone is pretty much between 6'4 and 6'8 which is great for pressing, but they have zero skill, and just dont score the ball much. So long as Cuse doesn't hand them 20 points off turnovers they are going to win easily, and honestly I think we are more likely to turn them over than the reverse. They should be a good tune up for Baylor though as both teams are going to get up in our face and pressure us.

There are multiple ways the skin a cat, I agree the best way is with the pass, but to do that you need to get open and move without the ball well with speed and athleticism which we lack a bit.

I heavy defense on our guards is going to give us fits, nothing more I would like than me being proven wrong.

People say that every year but it doesn’t happen. What games did we have trouble getting the ball up court that we didn’t figure out after one or two times?

People say that every year but it doesn’t happen. What games did we have trouble getting the ball up court that we didn’t figure out after one or two times?
West Virginia last season? Houston.

Yes, I really hope we are practicing positioning for the diagonal pass. If they are going to play tight man defense in the half court, it will be important for us to score off of their press regularly. I can see Jimmy getting quite a few open threes by just moving to an open spot once we get the ball to half court against the press. I think Buddy, Joe and Cole will be the ball handlers, luckily we have one more really good shooter that can take advantage of the press.

West Virginia last season? Houston.

Wear Virginia was 1 possession. Most of our turnovers were by Q and Buddy in the half court. Houston we only had 11 turnovers and only 2 by the starting PG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom