Venice Day Trips? | Syracusefan.com

Venice Day Trips?

BBQuse

Walk On
Going to Venice at the beginning of July for 6 days. From what I'm hearing, it is going to be a tourist mob scene, so I was hoping to get some advise for some day trips away from the crowds or at least away from the most touristy areas. Thanks.

You can start by going to the islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello. Murano is know for glass-blowing, Burano for lace and Torcello has mosaics. They are all a short boat ride away from Venice. Nearby, I'd suggest either Padua (30 minutes) or Verona (about an hour) - both are easily accessible by train. The Venice train station is in the northwest corner of town and is reachable via vaporetto - just hop on at any stop going in that direction. If you want to go a bit further away Ravenna is also know for its mosaics and Bologna is supposedly the culinary capital of Italy (caveat: I haven't been to either of these last two places but intend to go on my next trip).

You could go to Asolo, or the hill towns - the perk with all that is that the ladies are just as good, but at a far more discounted price. I mean, it may depend upon budget, but it's worth it. Bassano del Grappa is fantastic for some food/shopping as well and pretty adorable overall. If you're one of these "nature" people, the Po Delta is full of nature lovers crap.

If you go to Florence, be sure to get the bullet train’s red line (frecciarossa)That’s the 3 hour trip. Anything else will take much longer.

I booked on raileurope.com it was fine.

Venice will be a tourist mob scene. I've been all over Italy and Venice was by far my least favorite place to visit (sorry that doesn't help much)

I mean if you are gonna drive at all I think Verona is cooler than Venice and it doesn't smell like rotten fish and seaweed but that's just my humble opinion.

Surprisingly enough, PISA was one of my favorite towns on the Italian mainland. I stayed there for about 10 days. Yes, the tower isn't much to see but it is really a nice city once the tourist hoards leave.

One of my favorite Italy experiences is sitting by the river in Pisa with a bottle of wine and a few friends.

Bologna is a decent shout for a not-so mobbed mid-tier city. Really good food.

Bologna is a decent shout for a not-so mobbed mid-tier city. Really good food.

I concur. Lucca is also a nice city to walk around in for a day. The walls themselves are worth a short visit.

If you're ok with supertouristy (in exchange for peace/beautify), Sorrento is a great place to visit. I used to spend part of my summer there every year before switching to Sicily.

UPDATE: We only left Venice for one day and went to Padua. Easy 30 minute train ride. We probably could have spent a full day or more there. I particularly enjoyed a tour of the University, which is one of the oldest in the world. Venice itself was, as expected, packed with tourists -- but once you escaped San Marco square, Rialto and the direct route between them, it was empty (and early morning and evenings were empty too). It was a great trip.

If you’re still there’s, seriously —drive or train it to Firenze. Venice for me was on,y a one day thing, but I couldn’t get enough of Florence. And if you love art, get to the Pitti Palace. Floor to ceiling renassaince masterpieces. It’s Art 101 in real life stunning.

Only if you knew the hoops team will be there in a few weeks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom