Vermont | Syracusefan.com

Vermont

Guinness

Living Legend
CuseFaninVT I was going to message you directly but thought maybe there are others interested in your opinion.

The family and I going to be road tripping this summer and my son has his heart set on a tour at SU. So we plan on driving there first but will then spend the next week or so on a New England road trip. So the question is if you had a day two in Vermont what are a couple of the "must sees"?

Thanks!

CuseFaninVT I was going to message you directly but thought maybe there are others interested in your opinion.

The family and I going to be road tripping this summer and my son has his heart set on a tour at SU. So we plan on driving there first but will then spend the next week or so on a New England road trip. So the question is if you had a day two in Vermont what are a couple of the "must sees"?

Thanks!
That's a loaded question. Burlington is the obvious answer but are you willing to drive 3.5 hours out of your way. Many of the ski resorts scattered throughout the state have fun things to do in the summertime as well. You could easily spend a week in Vermont just visiting all of the little towns and villages. Here is a list of 20 top attractions and this doesn't even include visiting the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory or many of the breweries.

That's a loaded question. Burlington is the obvious answer but are you willing to drive 3.5 hours out of your way. Many of the ski resorts scattered throughout the state have fun things to do in the summertime as well. You could easily spend a week in Vermont just visiting all of the little towns and villages. Here is a list of 20 top attractions and this doesn't even include visiting the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory or many of the breweries.

We will probably spend two days before heading over into NH. So Burlington sounds great.

It kind of depends what you like to do. I love Stowe in the summertime because I like to golf and mountain bike and there are also some great places to eat that aren't very busy in the summer.

But looking at that list 1,2, and 10 would be great. a day in Stowe, day in Burlington. I like Montpelier too.

Some good places to eat in Winooski as well.

It kind of depends what you like to do. I love Stowe in the summertime because I like to golf and mountain bike and there are also some great places to eat that aren't very busy in the summer.

But looking at that list 1,2, and 10 would be great. a day in Stowe, day in Burlington. I like Montpelier too.

Some good places to eat in Winooski as well.
One could basically drive down Rt 100 from Stowe to Dover/Wilmington and see so many neat things and stay in some great Inns and eat at some great places and have an awesome time. And never even go near Burlington/Winooski, Montpelier, Woodstock/Queeche or Brattleboro.

I have a family member who lived in Burlington for a couple years and going there in the summer is fantastic. There is a really nice beach, a nice outdoor bar right on the water, great bike paths that start in town, plenty of quality food/bars/shopping. The main street Church Street is for pedestrians only. You will at some point see some quality outdoor market selling something healthy but good. All of this is in a very small and manageable amount of space. It's all a quick walk away. Just good atmosphere in general. Summer weather is perfect.

The end of the drive takes a while since there is a single route into Burlington from the south and a lot of it is one lane, so you will be behind a tractor going 20mph for at least a part of that. Also those VT drivers actually obey the speed limit...infuriating.

One could basically drive down Rt 100 from Stowe to Dover/Wilmington and see so many neat things and stay in some great Inns and eat at some great places and have an awesome. And never even go near Burlington/Winooski, Montpelier, Woodstock/Queeche or Brattleboro.

True but depending on the age of your kids they might hate you for it!!!

I have a family member who lived in Burlington for a couple years and going there in the summer is fantastic. There is a really nice beach, a nice outdoor bar right on the water, great bike paths that start in town, plenty of quality food/bars/shopping. The main street Church Street is for pedestrians only. You will at some point see some quality outdoor market selling something healthy but good. All of this is in a very small and manageable amount of space. It's all a quick walk away. Just good atmosphere in general. Summer weather is perfect.

The end of the drive takes a while since there is a single route into Burlington from the south and a lot of it is one lane, so you will be behind a tractor going 20mph for at least a part of that. Also those VT drivers actually obey the speed limit...infuriating.
That's why it takes over three hours from Albany. There are no shortcuts.

I found Hildene to be an interesting step back in time..

Ahh…but there is. Take the ferry from Port Kent to Burlington for an even more unique experience.
According to this it is closed. You could take Essex to Charlotte. It's quicker but unless you want to take chances and time it close, it's not any faster.

According to this it is closed. You could take Essex to Charlotte. It's quicker but unless you want to take chances and time it close, it's not any faster.

Geez. Didn’t realize they closed for all of 2022.

never took the ferry across always just driven up to Ticonderoga or cross lower like around Lake George towards rutland.

I took it last summer. It was open then

I took it last summer. It was open then
No it wasn’t. They never opened in 2020 and have shut it down for good. Buddy of mine is good friends with the guy who owns it. You may be thinking of the Plattsburgh to grand isle one.

Guinness - sorry, never saw this thread this week. Lots of great suggestions in here already. If you let me know how old the kids are and what you all like to do, I can give you plenty of suggestions.

No it wasn’t. They never opened in 2020 and have shut it down for good. Buddy of mine is good friends with the guy who owns it. You may be thinking of the Plattsburgh to grand isle one.

Guinness - sorry, never saw this thread this week. Lots of great suggestions in here already. If you let me know how old the kids are and what you all like to do, I can give you plenty of suggestions.
You’re right. it was Plattsburgh to Grand Isle

Have been out of VT for like 4 years now but from when I lived there I know Jay Peak has some good family stuff going on in the summer and an indoor water park. Stowe is always good. North East Kingdom is very similiar to the Adorondiaks (even though that could be said for most of the state) and lake willoughby is great. Church St in Burlington for night life but I think its overhyped and its a lot of college kids due to UVM being there. Bolton Valley Access Rd in Bolton Vermont (between Burlington and Montpellier) has really cool swimming holes and water falls coming down the mountain called the "Bolton potholes", that're popular with locals. It's a 4 mile dead end road straight up the mountain that ends at the resort, they start on your right when you turn onto the road. Super easy to find and get to. Owned a home there at the top at one point, Bolton Valley is gorgeous. There are some good hiking trails at the top of the mountain off the resort too that are less crowded than others. Waitsfields worth a stop if your passing through, quintessential New England town but probably not enough to hold you for long. As mentioned Grand Isle on Lake Champlain also awesome. Notch Road also really unique and worth the drive. Shelburne Vineyard and Fiddlehead are super easy stops if your coming up Rt7, Shelburne has some good Ice Wines if your into that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom