Very excited for golfing this year | Syracusefan.com

Very excited for golfing this year

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Playing in my brother’s member guest in Va. Beach at the end of June. Sneaking down to play Pinehurst Mon-Wed that week to warm up. Could not get on #2, #4 or the Cradle (par 3 course) due to tournament. A reason to go back.

Also booked Bandon Dunes the last week of August. Flying into Portland. Up to Chambers Bay for 2 rounds, then down to Bandon to play all 5 courses.

I also talked my wife into traveling to Fl for a weekend before a work week I have. We are doing stay and play at Shingle Creek, which is nice.

Last edited:
Playing in my brother’s member guest in Va. Beach at the end of June. Sneaking down to play Pinehurst Mon-Wed that week to warm up. Could not get on #2, #4 or the Cradle (par 3 course) due to tournament. A reason to go back.

Also booked Bandon Dunes the last week of August. Flying into Portland. Up to Chambers Bay for 2 rounds, then down to Bandon to play all 5 courses.

I also talked my wife into traveling to Fl for a weekend before a work week I have. We are doing stay and play at Shingle Creek, which is nice.
Was just at shingle creek this week. Amazing. If you want another beauty down the road try Hawks landing. Water on 15 of the 18 but it’s outstanding

Was just at shingle creek this week. Amazing. If you want another beauty down the road try Hawks landing. Water on 15 of the 18 but it’s outstanding
Thanks. A work group I am in plays there every qtr. A member of the group holds a charity tournament there every November.

i want to be you when i grow up

Heading down to Skidaway Island next week to play 4 times. Hopefully its an early spring here when I get back

been to Bandon 4 times. Amazing trip.

That's awesome! Dream courses for me.

I am pretty excited as I just landed a gig as Director of Tennis at a pretty exclusive Country Club here in the Albany area. It comes with free golf and I couldn't be more pumped.

Ahhhh the itch is starting. I leave 4 weeks from today for Myrtle. Only getting in 3 rounds - TPC Myrtle Beach, Prestwick, and Arrowhead, but I'm a big fan of them all.

I love hearing everyone talk about the places they are going.

(Also, congrats Justin!)

Finally won The Masters ticket lotto and heading to the Wednesday practice round w/ a few buddies before heading to Savannah for a couple rounds. Wondering if we should head up to Hilton Head for a round rather than playing in Savannah. Harbour Town's closed to prepare for the RBC Heritage. Are the other courses worth a day trip?

Last edited:

Possible update. Based off the book a course called America, by Thomas Coyne, we are going to try to play Gearhart on the Sunday we land in Portland.
Gearhart Golf Links - Google Search
Gearhart Golf Links
(503) 738-3538

how many going to the PGA in Roch this yr?

Playing in our Sim league makes you want to jump ahead 2 months for sure.

If I could find a driver that matched my swing it would make want it even more.. Every fitting so far have lost distance so still playing the 8 yr old sldr.

how many going to the PGA in Roch this yr?

Playing in our Sim league makes you want to jump ahead 2 months for sure.

If I could find a driver that matched my swing it would make want it even more.. Every fitting so far have lost distance so still playing the 8 yr old sldr.
That's really surprising you haven't found a better performing driver as the SLDR's really dated at this point. I assume you're trying different shafts in addition to heads during fittings?

Went thru an hr with callaway rep last yr. . tried half a dozen shafts, if anything they were all shorter.. I tried UTRY last with several clubs as well and lost distance. So I just stuck with my SLDR.

In our SIM league have hit a few other peoples clubs like the LS ones and spin went up.

Pretty sure its my swing.. I still swing like I have 125 mpg swing speed when I am old and clearly dont..

Took a few sessions this yr to just get my negative attack angle on the SIM to at least near zero.. That help some of the spin issues.

My max height, launch angles are fine but spin is still too high but better than when I started on the TM.

Went thru an hr with callaway rep last yr. . tried half a dozen shafts, if anything they were all shorter.. I tried UTRY last with several clubs as well and lost distance. So I just stuck with my SLDR.

In our SIM league have hit a few other peoples clubs like the LS ones and spin went up.

Pretty sure its my swing.. I still swing like I have 125 mpg swing speed when I am old and clearly dont..

Took a few sessions this yr to just get my negative attack angle on the SIM to at least near zero.. That help some of the spin issues.

My max height, launch angles are fine but spin is still too high but better than when I started on the TM.
The Paradym is a lot nicer club than the Rogue. The Ping G430 is a lot nicer club than the G425. The Titleist TSR is a lot nicer club than the TSi and the Cobra Aerojet is a lot nicer club than the LTDx. And I would think the performance of the Stealth 2 is better than your SLDR driver.

If you really like that club, have you tried to mimic the characteristics of your old shaft with a new head. By comparing two fairly similar shafts, you should theoretically get more distance with a lighter, stronger, newer head.

From my spin issues I really think my shaft is an issue with my current swing. way too much spin. I need to take off at least another 500rpm to begin to see good results again.

I do agree though a 8-10 yr old club head has to be also losing me some distance. even if its 5 yds.. and a decent amount of accuracy.

GlobalGolf UTRY is a great thing for $25, I have used it several times. .

They dont have the new callaway or TM yet though..

I was going to try the cobra aerojet LS but for some reason I can't get the trial to work, they tell me all is well. I tried multiple browsers and machines and keep getting error though.

Last edited:
Club question. I am going to be giving my clubs to my son, after they have been lengthened. I am considering going to graphite shafts. (At 62 it’s probably time)
Has anybody used the PXG irons. There are some great reviews.

Club question. I am going to be giving my clubs to my son, after they have been lengthened. I am considering going to graphite shafts. (At 62 it’s probably time)
Has anybody used the PXG irons. There are some great reviews.
Because their distribution channels are a little unorthodox, a lot of golfers have bought them without trying them first. If you are unable to try them first, I would be real careful.

Because their distribution channels are a little unorthodox, a lot of golfers have bought them without trying them first. If you are unable to try them first, I would be real careful.
Thanks. I have a fitting scheduled. Any other thoughts.

Thanks. I have a fitting scheduled. Any other thoughts.
Not about PXG's. But about graphite shafts, they have really evolved and are not just for old guys anymore. Granted they might be softer to allow optimum height based on your swing speed, but they come in all weights and flexes now. And the Steelfiber shafts are a really great innovation. But be prepared to pay $$$ if you really like them.

Not about PXG's. But about graphite shafts, they have really evolved and are not just for old guys anymore. Granted they might be softer to allow optimum height based on your swing speed, but they come in all weights and flexes now. And the Steelfiber shafts are a really great innovation. But be prepared to pay $$$ if you really like them.
Here is an article about steel vs graphite. It's a good article even though I don't 100% agree with what he is saying because you can get a graphite shaft or a composite as heavy and as stiff as a similar steel shaft if you would like.

I turned 63 last year and thought I would end up with graphite irons but when I went on the Mizuno shaft optimizer it suggested some regular and some stiff flex shafts like the dynamic gold 95 or 105. Ultimately, after trying a bunch of different shafts, steel and graphite,I went with an Elevate 95 gram steel regular flex with a stronger lofted iron head that when I hit it well does make up for a natural loss of distance.

very Excited for season. About to put in my titleist order with my all 44 playing number

very Excited for season. About to put in my titleist order with my all 44 playing number
With the price of the new Pro V1's hopefully they don't all end up wet or in the woods.

just got back from 3 days of playing at Skidaway Island in Savannah. Now its gonna snow a ton sigh

Seeing the local course has April 1st as its opening day when we have 15 inches coming..