Very excited for golfing this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very excited for golfing this year

With the price of the new Pro V1's hopefully they don't all end up wet or in the woods.
at some point they will vanish into woods, 4 dozen gets me through 60 rounds or so. Pro V's have horrible durability lately.

I will admit, I'm liking the Oncore Vero X1. bought 1 or 2 dozen last year. LIke them a lot. like the durability. I see they have the x2 out

Last edited:
Course is in as good of shape I can remember for April. Can’t believe I’m writing this, but it could use some water.

we’re in great shape which is usually not an April thing (and sometime not a may thing). our greens are perfect and made it through winter nicely. last year a few other local courses had some issues with greens. Some were unplayable through may

Because their distribution channels are a little unorthodox, a lot of golfers have bought them without trying them first. If you are unable to try them first, I would be real careful.
Update and change up on clubs. Me, my wife, our daughter and our youngest son are all taking lessons. (The other 3 take in group lesson format.) Our coach told my daughter she needs newer clubs (has 10-12 Y.O. hand me downs). So I bought my wife a new set of clubs so she can give hers to our daughter. Therefore, I will not be going in on the PXGs. I did hit a bunch of new clubs, but really liked the Mizuno forged irons, which got great reviews. Anyone have experience with those?
Using the 7 iron, I had a consistent swing speed of about 75 mph. My best carry was 149. (I’m 62.)

Update and change up on clubs. Me, my wife, our daughter and our youngest son are all taking lessons. (The other 3 take in group lesson format.) Our coach told my daughter she needs newer clubs (has 10-12 Y.O. hand me downs). So I bought my wife a new set of clubs so she can give hers to our daughter. Therefore, I will not be going in on the PXGs. I did hit a bunch of new clubs, but really liked the Mizuno forged irons, which got great reviews. Anyone have experience with those?
Using the 7 iron, I had a consistent swing speed of about 75 mph. My best carry was 149. (I’m 62.)
Do you know what shaft you had in the Mizuno's? Swing speed of 75 is in the senior flex range, but it is what it is. Mine swing speed for a 7-iron is about 83 and I thought originally, I was going to end up with a senior graphite shaft, but I ended up with a regular flex Elevate 95 gram steel shafts. However, the other day, I hit a few balls with a 120 gram stiff flex and each one went far, high and straight. I don't think I would ever switch off of my shafts and if I did, it might be to a 95 gram graphite shaft, for greater height, but those 120 grams felt good.

Generally, about 80% of golfers can hit the ball farther with a heavier shaft, but the downside is if the shaft is too heavy to consistently square the face up at impact. Some golfers (like 20%), with slower swing speeds, can generate more ball speed with a lighter shaft, because they are taking weight out of the shaft and thus making the club head feel a bit heavier. Every golfer is different.

Do you know what shaft you had in the Mizuno's? Swing speed of 75 is in the senior flex range, but it is what it is. Mine swing speed for a 7-iron is about 83 and I thought originally, I was going to end up with a senior graphite shaft, but I ended up with a regular flex Elevate 95 gram steel shafts. However, the other day, I hit a few balls with a 120 gram stiff flex and each one went far, high and straight. I don't think I would ever switch off of my shafts and if I did, it might be to a 95 gram graphite shaft, for greater height, but those 120 grams felt good.

Generally, about 80% of golfers can hit the ball farther with a heavier shaft, but the downside is if the shaft is too heavy to consistently square the face up at impact. Some golfers (like 20%), with slower swing speeds, can generate more ball speed with a lighter shaft, because they are taking weight out of the shaft and thus making the club head feel a bit heavier. Every golfer is different.
I think it was regular flex. I tend to hit the ball high, but am working on compressing the ball and turning, more than swinging. Getting hips opened earlier is next.
Based on where I started 18 months ago, I have added a club to club and a half on distance, and far fewer totally errant shots. That is purely on technique. (I was a big outside-in swinger before.)

I am just really enjoying the process and the work that I am going through to get better. I find the Dr. Bob Rotella books to be helpful in attitude and approach.

It’s an extra bonus that my wife, to a lesser extent, is going along on my journey.

I have the jpx hot metals. I love them. about 6 years old now, thinking about upgrading at mizuno demo day

I have the jpx hot metals. I love them. about 6 years old now, thinking about upgrading at mizuno demo day
Can't go wrong w/ Mizuno irons. I've had two sets and loved both.

Capt. Tuttle, if you haven't already, check out Srixon irons. They have a very loyal cult following.

I picked up a new set of irons this year, Cobra Baffler XLs (game improvement irons). They were released in 2013 but the clubs themselves are brand new. Also bought a new 2021 Cobra T-Rail 5h which has been a dream to hit on approach shots.

This is my second year playing so I can use all the help I can get. I’m a high handicapper but I play ready golf!

Can't go wrong w/ Mizuno irons. I've had two sets and loved both.

Capt. Tuttle, if you haven't already, check out Srixon irons. They have a very loyal cult following.
Mizuno is moving their research and development facility to my club. I'm looking forward to it and think it may prompt me to move to Mizuno irons as I am in the market right now