Very interesting stat | Syracusefan.com

Very interesting stat

kcsu

Living Legend
In 2015 Bowling Green Baylor and Texas Tech all had average game possession times for the season within seconds of each other. About 27.5 per game. This tells me that it is truly the system more so than any other factor.

That's really good news as the D will only be on the field an average of 32.5 minutes/game, using your figure for O's time of possession. From the discussions on the new offense, I personally was concerned that the number would be closer to 37-40 minutes per game on D.

Combined with the conditioning HCDB has in mind, I am far less concerned now about the change over to the new offense and its effects on the D.

That's really good news as the D will only be on the field an average of 32.5 minutes/game, using your figure for O's time of possession. From the discussions on the new offense, I personally was concerned that the number would be closer to 37-40 minutes per game on D.

Combined with the conditioning HCDB has in mind, I am far less concerned now about the change over to the new offense and its effects on the D.
It wouldn't surprise me if we were a little under the 27.5 this year given what Dino has said about the offense not fully clicking until next year and the unsettled nature of the DE position this year.

It wouldn't surprise me if we were a little under the 27.5 this year given what Dino has said about the offense not fully clicking until next year and the unsettled nature of the DE position this year.

You probably are correct, the D will spend a little more time on the field while the O adjusts to the new system. I am still encouraged in that the TOP is much closer than I originally thought.

You probably are correct, the D will spend a little more time on the field while the O adjusts to the new system. I am still encouraged in that the TOP is much closer than I originally thought.
I anticipate being a little frustrated with a number of 3 and outs that take about 15 seconds off the clock then watching teams bend our defense a lot this year. But I've got the big picture in mind and expect to see both get better as the season goes on with a good jump next year.

I anticipate being a little frustrated with a number of 3 and outs that take about 15 seconds off the clock then watching teams bend our defense a lot this year. But I've got the big picture in mind and expect to see both get better as the season goes on with a good jump next year.

Agreed, we will likely see more 3 and outs than we want to see. I am bouyed by the simplification of the system, which lessens the learning curve. Even though the whole system will not be mastered until mid-2017, parts of the system will click with the team and we will see improvement, almost weekly. Also, the team could have won a few close games last season which indicates that Syracuse was not far off the mark. I still expect a winning season and bowl invite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom