Very revealing Marrone quote | Syracusefan.com

Very revealing Marrone quote

OrangeBlood

Starter
I am sorry to bring up Marrone again, but I feel like this quote is relevant to his time at SU. This has nothing to do with his choice to leave or any of that nonsense.

This quote explains why Marrone seemed to be held back in his first years at SU:
“I think when you first become a head coach it’s kind of like, ‘How do I want to be?’ You’re trying to look for an identity,” said Marrone. “I don’t know that many people say this publicly, but I’ll tell you the truth. For me that first approach was like, ‘Golly, I don’t really feel like I’m doing anything.’ I felt kind of like a judge just saying, ‘This side play like this and this side play like that.’ What I found was I didn’t enjoy that. That wasn’t my passion and what I wanted to do."

I think there is no doubt Marrone became a better head coach over his time here. Interesting to learn that he didn't feel like he was doing anything.

Hopefully Shafer does not have a similar problem adjusting, I doubt he does with his high energy, but worth thinking about.

First of all, I am not a Marrone apologist. Please remember that he did not ruin this program. He stepped in at a very critical period and made a positive impact on the program. Now he's moved on. To quote the Beatles: Let it be.

That Marrone wasn't sure he was doing anything was compounded by the fact that he didn't have D1 players while playing a reasonably tough D1 schedule. He was behind the proverbial eight ball and brought the Orange back to relevance. I'm glad he did that for the school and for us fans. I wish he had stayed, but life goes on. I believe we have a new HC who will continue the path that Marrone set us on.

“I think when you first become a head coach it’s kind of like, ‘How do I want to be?’ You’re trying to look for an identity,” said Marrone. “I don’t know that many people say this publicly, but I’ll tell you the truth. For me that first approach was like, ‘Golly, I don’t really feel like I’m doing anything.’ I felt kind of like a judge just saying, ‘This side play like this and this side play like that.’ What I found was I didn’t enjoy that. That wasn’t my passion and what I wanted to do."

I think this is the sentiment of many first time organizational leaders. It's all hypothetical until you have a chance to do it for the first time.

That Marrone wasn't sure he was doing anything was compounded by the fact that he didn't have D1 players while playing a reasonably tough D1 schedule. He was behind the proverbial eight ball and brought the Orange back to relevance. I'm glad he did that for the school and for us fans. I wish he had stayed, but life goes on. I believe we have a new HC who will continue the path that Marrone set us on.

Great Post +1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom