Viable outside of the Family Hires | Syracusefan.com

Viable outside of the Family Hires

cuseinseattle

All American
I thought it would be good to start a thread about who outside the family could be hired. While I think Hopkins gets the first call and then Red the second what are the options if we were to go outside the family. I don't really want to talk about people that are never coming here such as Mark Few, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, Rick Pitino, Nate Oats. For example what about Chris Holtmann. Is he sick of being 2nd fiddle to football. Indiana had interest. After last June his buyout is only his assistants salaries and not 10 million. I know that after we played Ohio State Boeheim had glowing things to say about him as a coach. I don't think we would pay him but if we did and he wanted to go to a place where he could be the most important sport within the university community and play against blue bloods who just replaced their coaches we could make sense.

Depends entirely how much they are willing to pay. If they want to be a T20 team again that price tag is likely 5M+ a year, if Su is paying that we could attract a top quality coach. If not, we likely continue the 8 year run of mediocrity.

Jason Hart is the best candidate in my books.
He can recruit.
He is coaching G league Ignite which is basically filled with old college freshman so he is getting experience relating to younger players.

Question is would he take the job?

He would be a bridge to the past but not the status quo.

I wonder what PoppyHart thinks on this.

He can recruit.
He is coaching G league Ignite which is basically filled with old college freshman so he is getting experience relating to younger players.

Jason has no east coast recruiting experience. It’s like Hop going west. We saw what happened there after his east coast ties dried up.

Last edited:
He can recruit.

It's not the worst idea. I always like J Hart an thought he did a lot to make USC good. He is such a west coast guy and So Cal guy that I would be surprised if he wanted to live in Syracuse and move his family there. I know he was almost Hopkins head assistant at UW right out of the gate and changed his mind at the last minute because USC gave him a raise and also he didn't want to move his family a 2nd time if he got a head job. He also didn't want to leave LA for Seattle. If that was the case I think Syracuse would be a tough sell. Although way better program that he is an alumni of and loves talking about.

Matt Langel (Colgate)
Todd Golden (San Fran)
Dennis Gates (Cleveland State)
Ed Cooley (Providence)

In a different world I would say Sean Miller but he's probably too toxic.

Luke Murray. He’s going to get his shot somewhere soon.

He can recruit.

Hart feels like someone who could be a grand slam in some ways, even if the odds are slim. He may not tick all the right boxes for some, but the way he has pushed himself in life shouldn't be discounted. For that alone. Plus some potential cross-country pipeline re-establishment.

He is a good compromise pick. Where he isn’t directly tied to the bench and is an alum who would be a good candidate IMO.
Bring in Hart, have him run SU like the G League Ignite team where he continuously reloads the top recruits every year and they align them with attractive NIL deals. I’d be fine with that model. Hart would have a lot of credibility with five star recruits.

He is a good compromise pick. Where he isn’t directly tied to the bench and is an alum who would be a good candidate IMO.
I can’t even picture Jason considering zone. And, someone mentioned Luke Murray. He would be a good assistant with strong recruiting ties. But, he has worked for Sean Miller and Chris Mack, so that is a bit sketchy.

Jason Hart isn’t outside the family though.
Yes, however he is a talented up and coming Coach with ties to our past and might bring back more hoops alums to be involved with the program. Plus he can recruit the west coast which was, in times past, a staple of our recruits. We have a strong alumni presence in SoCal!
Not saying he’s my ultimate pick but if we are seeking someone with Cuse ties, he would be a good fit!

Bring in Hart, have him run SU like the G League Ignite team where he continuously reloads the top recruits every year and they align them with attractive NIL deals. I’d be fine with that model. Hart would have a lot of credibility with five star recruits.
Pair Hart him with a great x and o coach like John Beilein, who can have his son on staff as an assistant. Then another connected AAU coach with strong east coast ties. Let’s play the NIL fast break train

Tough call but here would be my top three-

Ed Cooley - Providence
Matt McMahon - Murray State
Steve Pikiell - Rutgers

Pair Hart him with a great x and o coach like John Beilein, who can have his son on staff as an assistant. Then another connected AAU coach with strong east coast ties. Let’s play the NIL fast break train

It's funny... I was going to mention Beilein.

Let's just hire HIM. Guy has been tremendously successful at multiple collegiate stops [NBA debacle notwithstanding].

Would love someone with that kind of track record, who might be looking for an opportunity to go out on a high note after failing at the NBA jump.

Tough call but here would be my top three-

Ed Cooley - Providence
Matt McMahon - Murray State
Steve Pikiell - Rutgers
My top 5 are:
Ed Cooley, Providence
Andy Enfield, USC
John Becker, UVM
Todd Golden, USF
Bryce Drew, GCU

It's funny... I was going to mention Beilein.

Let's just hire HIM. Guy has been tremendously successful at multiple collegiate stops [NBA debacle notwithstanding].

Would love someone with that kind of track record, who might be looking for an opportunity to go out on a high note after failing at the NBA jump.
Beilein works for Troy Weaver these days.

Etan right out of the box asks Hart about him being mentioned as a potential replacement for JB. Hart definitely seemed interested. He wants to be a college head coach.
He would be a great, slightly outside the box candidate that is right in the middle of the current college hoops evolving landscape. We likely need someone like that. Wish JHart wasn’t so west coast but if he could land a high end east coast recruiting guy, that’s be great. And I would imagine he would prefer in your face D over the zone….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom