Video board

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
20’ high - meh. Don’t we already have boards with that height? It’ll be wider than what we currently have in the end zones so it sounds like it will resemble an elongated widescreen shape. Those dimensions for a more intimate basketball facility would’ve made a big statement but for a football building the size of the dome i fear it will look skinny.

also it seems like the roof height played a role in capping the video board height. Sala mentioned needing to raise the crown truss significantly higher to lift the roof higher. This is where cuseman78 tells us SU never goes for the wow factor.

JRHEETER

Starter
20’ high - meh. Don’t we already have boards with that height? It’ll be somewhat wider than what we currently have in the end zones. The dimensions for a smaller, more intimate basketball facility would’ve been pretty big but for football i fear it will look skinny.

also it seems like the roof height may have played a role in those dimensions. Sala mentioned needing to raise the crown truss significantly higher to lift the roof higher. This is where cuseman78 tells us SU never goes for the wow factor.
Yeah, a little disappointed in this in the way they billed up to be huge and it kinda falls flat...I hold full judgement until I see it...whenever that may be

cuse10

All American
20 feet at that height won't look big. It's going to be slim. Is this a result of Ephesus backing out at the last minute?

SUforme

All Conference
20 feet at that height won't look big. It's going to be slim. Is this a result of Ephesus backing out at the last minute?
Not sure how that's relatable seeing they aren't making the video board.

cuse10

All American
Not sure how that's relatable seeing they aren't making the video board.
That's why I asked the question. I'm not dedicating my time to the renovation like many on this board are.

SUforme

All Conference
I guess if we were to nitpick the height seems a little slim but it is 62.5 feet long which is significantly longer than a lot of other video boards.

JRHEETER

Starter
E1B53B82-9203-4057-9370-F891C60FB492.jpeg

This scoreboard at Wells Fargo is 28’ x 30’ but can be expanded to 62’...it’s in a small hockey arena...would assume this score board is going to look...a little small but won’t know till we get in the dome and see the optics...hope it’s better than what is in my head at this time

FasterCuse

Scout Team
Ok. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had this reaction when I read the size of the video board. It will be great for half the basketball fans in attendance, but from a football stand point, I think it's going to look a little small.

721Comstock

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Rebounder
View attachment 180712
This scoreboard at Wells Fargo is 28’ x 30’ but can be expanded to 62’...it’s in a small hockey arena...would assume this score board is going to look...a little small but won’t know till we get in the dome and see the optics...hope it’s better than what is in my head at this time
So, you’re complaining - without having actually seen it yet - that one the largest scoreboards in all of college sports is going to be “meh”? :rolleyes:

JRHEETER

Starter
So, you’re complaining - without having actually seen it yet - that one the largest scoreboards in all of college sports is going to be “meh”? :rolleyes:
...I’ve said multiple times I’ll pass judgement until I see it in person...it’s not the largest scoreboard in college sports...it’s the largest center hung scoreboard in college...not hard to do when we are essentially the only dome...

The largest scoreboard in college sports, if I’m not mistaken is at auburn and is 57’x110’

Oregon will soon pass that with their new scoreboard which will be 66’x186’

JRHEETER

Starter
I also didn’t say it would be “meh” I said I was a little disappointed because they billed it up to be absolutely massive...and that I would hold off judgement until I saw it in person

721Comstock

...I’ve said multiple times I’ll pass judgement until I see it in person...it’s not the largest scoreboard in college sports...it’s the largest center hung scoreboard in college...not hard to do when we are essentially the only dome...

The largest scoreboard in college sports, if I’m not mistaken is at auburn and is 57’x110’

Oregon will soon pass that with their new scoreboard which will be 66’x186’
Sigh.

So, we’re not going to one-up an SEC football team, or Nike’s darling program?

Well boo hoo hoo for us.

You’re welcome to make the donation that’ll pay for us to keep up with the Jerry Joneses, if you’re unhappy about it.

Edited to add:
those other scoreboards (Auburn, Ducks) are panels. a single wall.
Ours - being center-hung, has 4 sides.
4 x 62.5x20. That’s a lot of sq. feet.

I’d imagine the height isn’t ‘more’ since our Dome roof isn’t actually all that high, and they don’t want it interfering w the game.

Last edited:

FasterCuse

Scout Team
Sigh.

Well boo hoo hoo for us.

You’re welcome to make the donation that’ll pay for us to keep up with the Joneses, if you’re unhappy about it.
I didn't read anywhere in his post that he wanted a scoreboard bigger than Auburn or Oregon, but 60 ft long and 20 ft high isn't really all that large for a football stadium.

JRHEETER

Starter
Sigh.

Well boo hoo hoo for us.

You’re welcome to make the donation that’ll pay for us to keep up with the Joneses, if you’re unhappy about it.

Edited to add:

I’d imagine the height isn’t ‘more’ since our Dome roof isn’t actually all that high, and they don’t want it interfering w the game.
Look I understand...but they billed it, as being absolutely massive. That’s all I’m saying, was thinking it would run the length of the field or something to that extent...62 feet is only 20 yards...meaning it’ll run from the 40 to the 40.

It could be more impressive in person. And I I think it will be for endzone seats...but for the sideline seats, it would seem that it will disappoint.

Once again, I could be impressed when I see it in person, so, I’ll say what I said before, I’ll hold judgement until I see it in person but I feel I am going to be disappointed.

JRHEETER

Starter
Sigh.

Well boo hoo hoo for us.

You’re welcome to make the donation that’ll pay for us to keep up with the Jerry Joneses, if you’re unhappy about it.

Edited to add:

def wasn’t saying it needed to be that size...you incorrectly stated it would be the largest scoreboard in college sports...it won’t be

721Comstock

Look I understand...but they billed it, as being absolutely massive. That’s all I’m saying, was thinking it would run the length of the field or something to that extent...62 feet is only 20 yards...meaning it’ll run from the 40 to the 40.

It could be more impressive in person. And I I think it will be for endzone seats...but for the sideline seats, it would seem that it will disappoint.

Once again, I could be impressed when I see it in person, so, I’ll say what I said before, I’ll hold judgement until I see it in person but I feel I am going to be disappointed.
Saying NOW - repeatedly- how you *think* you’re going to feel (= disappointed) -

Is NOT “withholding judgement”.
:rolleyes:

Cusefan78

Starter
JRHEETER - “meh”. :p
That board looks tiny in that stadium. The length is fine the height isn’t. Some people want the best and want the wow cause that’s what su has been saying. the issue is this stuff isn’t screaming wow to many of us. We want the best because we want the teams we love to shine not just fit in. Clearly people aren’t fully understanding the arms race. The dome isn’t a recruiting tool it once was and just doing the minimum isn’t going to change that. This is My opinion and the last I checked we have that right still. These kids want to glitz

dooey139

Scout Team
Don't forget that it is moving closer to your viewpoint since it will be center hung. Dimensions-wise, yes not very impressive, but the Dome isn't very big so perhaps being center hung means it doesn't need to be a monstrosity.

RandomGuy

All Conference
If we're keeping with 16:9 viewing ratios.

35.5 × 20

12 foot 3 inch borders on each side.

Our local FCS has 16:9 viewable of 50×30(but just 1 side)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom