Video Game Hall of Fame | Syracusefan.com

Video Game Hall of Fame

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester has created a Video Game Hall of Fame. They are accepting nominations for the inaugural class. I know we have done similar threads, but discussing hall of fame qualifications is different from listing one's favorites. I will only list four obvious choices:

Pong
Space Invaders
Pac Man
Super Mario Brothers

Edit: Here is the criteria listed on the Hall of Fame Website:
  • Icon-status: the game is widely recognized and remembered.
  • Longevity: the game is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time.
  • Geographical reach: the game meets the above criteria across international boundaries.
  • Influence: The game has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on popular culture and society in general. A game may be inducted on the basis of this criterion without necessarily having met all of the first three.

Last edited:
The Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester has created a Video Game Hall of Fame. They are accepting nominations for the inaugural class. I know we have done similar threads, but discussing hall of fame qualifications is different from listing one's favorites. I will only list four obvious choices:

Pong
Space Invaders
Pac Man
Super Mario Brothers

I don't think you can group pac man or mario into single catagories. I'd vote Mario 3 and I know quite a few that prefer Mrs. Pacman.

I don't think you can group pac man or mario into single catagories. I'd vote Mario 3 and I know quite a few that prefer Mrs. Pacman.
Yes, they will treat each title individually on its own merits. I prefer Ms. Pac-Man as well, but Pac-Man should get the nod because it came first. Nearly every Mario release is significant, but Super Mario Brothers has to go in first. It was ground-breaking and was the first popular game on NES (of course it came with the basic console).

Yes, they will treat each title individually on its own merits. I prefer Ms. Pac-Man as well, but Pac-Man should get the nod because it came first. Nearly every Mario release is significant, but Super Mario Brothers has to go in first. It was ground-breaking and was the first popular game on NES (of course it came with the basic console).

Curious how they'll rank Super Mario 2 since the US market got a retread of Doki Doki Panic because Nintendo thought the actual Mario 2 was too hard for Americans. If you've ever played the actual Mario 2, you'll know they were probably right.

Curious how they'll rank Super Mario 2 since the US market got a retread of Doki Doki Panic because Nintendo thought the actual Mario 2 was too hard for Americans. If you've ever played the actual Mario 2, you'll know they were probably right.
I don't think they will rank it at all. Strong usually inducts like three toys a year; I assume they will handle video games similarly. I doubt Super Mario Brothers 2 gets anywhere close.

I'd think that Donkey Kong has to be pretty high on the list, right?

Is this like, video games in general? Consoles? Arcade games?

Zelda has to be pretty high on the list. Oregon Trail should be, too.

Contra

1361704475_konami_code.jpg

if we're talking original dinosaur games available only in bars, bowling alleys and arcades and not yet the home consoles i'd say PONG, pac man, asteroids, missile defense, space invaders and joust. and i'll give a shout out to BREAKOUT, SPY HUNTER or any of the sitdown racing simulators.

Is this like, video games in general? Consoles? Arcade games?
Yes, it is can be a game on any format/system. I was thinking about some of those old school electronic games in the 70s and 80s. I had a football and a baseball game.

My nominees
1. Legend of Zelda(NES)
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
3. Tetris( NES)
4. Contra (NES)
5. Metroid (NES)
6. Megaman 2 or 3 (NES)
7. A Link to the Past (SNES)
8. Starfox(SNES)
9. Madden (SNES/PS/Xbox)
10. Grand Theft Auto(PS)
11. Call of Duty(PS)
12. Halo(Xbox)
13. Mike Tyson's Punchout(NES)
14. TMNT: The Arcade game(SNES and Arcade)
15. The Avengers (Arcade)

I want to nominate Tecmo Super Bowl but it's my personal bias.

When I bought Mario All-Stars on SNES holy hell was Super Mario 2 hard. I eventually beat it but was so damn long and got repetitive I actually enjoy playing the Doki Doki super Mario 2 and I enjoy the challenge of not overusing the Prjncess as she is so damn dominant in that game.

When I bought Mario All-Stars on SNES holy hell was Super Mario 2 hard. I eventually beat it but was so damn long and got repetitive I actually enjoy playing the Doki Doki super Mario 2 and I enjoy the challenge of not overusing the Prjncess as she is so damn dominant in that game.

I just laughed the first time playing the actual mario 2. "Oh cool, a blue mushroom! Ohhh It kills you... what is the point of that?!?"

My nominees
1. Legend of Zelda(NES)
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
3. Tetris( NES)
4. Contra (NES)
5. Metroid (NES)
6. Megaman 2 or 3 (NES)
7. A Link to the Past (SNES)
8. Starfox(SNES)
9. Madden (SNES/PS/Xbox)
10. Grand Theft Auto(PS)
11. Call of Duty(PS)
12. Halo(Xbox)
13. Mike Tyson's Punchout(NES)
14. TMNT: The Arcade game(SNES and Arcade)
15. The Avengers (Arcade)

I want to nominate Tecmo Super Bowl but it's my personal bias.

Pong and Tetris are 1A and 1B.

Super Mario and Packman are next in line.

BlackthorneSNES.jpg

prince of persia was a classic super nintendo game and this above was pretty obscure but interesting in that just about everybody who played at some point turns ruthless and starts executing the innocents.

I might be drunk and on a plane, but if someone doesn't mention Golden Eye on N64, I'm gonna burn this biiiitch to the ground
Lol your right Goldeneye was the first 4 player shooter game between friend. That game was one of my top 5 played while in HS. It should have been in my top 15.