Video games | Syracusefan.com

Video games

Shrmdougluvr

Give it all to me fool!
I was never a big video game guy as a kid, and I have tried to avoid them like the plague (that expression oddly has literal significance now) for my kids, but I think it is time to purchase something. They are 11 and 8.

Looking for any tips on what system to buy, what type of package would be optimal, etc. I suppose back in the day I was a Sega then a Playstation guy (love Super Nintendo though), but I was kind of "out of the game" by the time Xbox came on the seen in a meaningful way.

Thinking PS4. Is that the way to go? Thanks in advance for any insights.

If you are gonna go the playstation way then you need to get the PS5. why limit the experience 2-3 yrs down the road. xbox vs PS is a debate, I would say its 25% Xbox 25% PS and 50% have both in people I know..

start them on a super nintendo for 6 months and then slowly work up to the PlayStations. otherwise they'll never truly appreciate the graphic/gaming evolutionary experience. i myself started with PONG.

I'd just ask them which system they're interested, and specifically which games. I'm sure they have a strong opinion.

Switch. If you get the online service you then have access to all the classic Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. Also being portable is another feature that comes in handy.

I just wish NCAA Football would come out for the new systems soon. Looks with the new NIL deal, it will be out in about two years. EA already made the announcement they are working on it. Hope it comes to the switch though I doubt it.

To resurrect a thread...

I recently came across this game—Super Mega Baseball 4.

It's in the XBox Game Pass, so it wasn't a risk, but i didn't expect much. It's addictive and a LOT of fun.
The menu systems and setup are clumsy and ugly, but once you get past/familiar with them, it's not such a big deal. Gameplay is fantastic. It's a cartoonized version of baseball, and doesn't feature full MLB rosters. There are, though, a lot of actual 'classic' players included, plus full rosters of fictitious (funny) names. You can customize a lot. I basically have my version of RedSox uniforms, including the alt Yellows, and i've created/recreated/changed/customized players. All that is just the sauce, though. Gameplay is the thing, and it's fun with enough detail and intricacy mixed with enough arcade-style stuff. Animations and graphics are quite good.

____

"EA SPORTS™ Super Mega Baseball™ 4 is now available on EA App, as well as PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch™, and Steam"

To resurrect a thread...

I recently came across this game—Super Mega Baseball 4.

It's in the XBox Game Pass, so it wasn't a risk, but i didn't expect much. It's addictive and a LOT of fun.
The menu systems and setup are clumsy and ugly, but once you get past/familiar with them, it's not such a big deal. Gameplay is fantastic. It's a cartoonized version of baseball, and doesn't feature full MLB rosters. There are, though, a lot of actual 'classic' players included, plus full rosters of fictitious (funny) names. You can customize a lot. I basically have my version of RedSox uniforms, including the alt Yellows, and i've created/recreated/changed/customized players. All that is just the sauce, though. Gameplay is the thing, and it's fun with enough detail and intricacy mixed with enough arcade-style stuff. Animations and graphics are quite good.

____

"EA SPORTS™ Super Mega Baseball™ 4 is now available on EA App, as well as PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch™, and Steam"
That looks cool. I only have the Atari VCS so I have been playing Baseball Stars 2 on Antstream. I think Steam is available. Maybe I should try it.

I appreciate this thread. I still play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006 on my PS2 on a regular basis for stress relief. I’m not a huge video games guy, but I dig beating the cr*p out of the tour.

That looks cool. I only have the Atari VCS so I have been playing Baseball Stars 2 on Antstream. I think Steam is available. Maybe I should try it.
Yeah, I have traditionally only been interested in the most realistic sims and games, but this thing is crazy fun. I think the last ‘cartoonish’ game I liked was NBA Street, and that was a long time ago.

Mega Baseball has a lot of ‘real baseball’ in it. Getting the timing right on steals, hitting the cutoff man, situational hitting…. And it’s a quick play if you want it to be. You can move quickly between pitches, plays, and innings, and I get through two 9-inning games in under an hour. It’s the first game I’ve played in years that I have to make myself stop playing because it’s 3am….

[Right after I posted the first bit about it above, I played a game and it was 5-5 in the bottom of the 9th, and my character came up with a man on. For the first time in about 40 games, the computer opponent (as Goose Gossage) gave an intentional walk. I was a bit bothered, but then David Ortiz came up and I hit a homer on the first pitch. Epic!]

not a big fan of shooters per se. but if i were gifting to a kid i'd try to find something that involves problem solving as well as fire power. something like tomb raider or prince of persia works both the mind and trigger finger.

not a big fan of shooters per se. but if i were gifting to a kid i'd try to find something that involves problem solving as well as fire power. something like tomb raider or prince of persia works both the mind and trigger finger.
“Problem solving” means tossing in a frag grenade before breaching a terrorist nest with your P90.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom