Video: Top 9 Breakout Stars To Watch in 2016 ACC Football | Syracusefan.com

Video: Top 9 Breakout Stars To Watch in 2016 ACC Football

Was listening to College Sports on Sirius yesterday. It was an Athlon show, and didn't get the name of the guy they were talking to. But it was fantasy sports related. They asked him who he was looking at as a WR that maybe no one was talking about. He said people should pay attention that Dino Babers is at Syracuse and keep their eye on Steve Ishmael, who he expects to have a huge year.

I think that a lot of Orange players will get noticed this season. Not all will earn the highest levels of praise, but the word gets out that you have to watch each player on O as the O is designed to take advantage of slim pickings the D gives them. There is no cheating against this type of D (by cheating I do not mean breaking the rules, just shading to this player or stuffing the run, etc.).

HtownOrange said:
I think that a lot of Orange players will get noticed this season. Not all will earn the highest levels of praise, but the word gets out that you have to watch each player on O as the O is designed to take advantage of slim pickings the D gives them. There is no cheating against this type of D (by cheating I do not mean breaking the rules, just shading to this player or stuffing the run, etc.).

Exactly. I was just reading about how our RB are rated next to last on ESPN:

13. Syracuse. Jordan Fredericks is the only back with much of a portfolio: He rushed for 607 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry last season as a freshman. Fellow sophomore Dontae Strickland could see more time this year, though.

Fair enough, right? But upon further review: 5.7 yds per attempt is pretty good. Why did he only have 607 yards? 8.9 attempts per game. Our #2 RB had 5.5 attempts.

Bowling Green's #1 RB had 16 attempts per game, with their #2 had 10.6 attempts per game.

Simple math, ESPN. 5.7 x 16 = 91 yards per game. 91 x 12 = Look our #1 RB has 1100 yards! Our #2? Another 600-700 yards.

I cannot wait.

Exactly. I was just reading about how our RB are rated next to last on ESPN:

13. Syracuse. Jordan Fredericks is the only back with much of a portfolio: He rushed for 607 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry last season as a freshman. Fellow sophomore Dontae Strickland could see more time this year, though.

Fair enough, right? But upon further review: 5.7 yds per attempt is pretty good. Why did he only have 607 yards? 8.9 attempts per game. Our #2 RB had 5.5 attempts.

Bowling Green's #1 RB had 16 attempts per game, with their #2 had 10.6 attempts per game.

Simple math, ESPN. 5.7 x 16 = 91 yards per game. 91 x 12 = Look our #1 RB has 1100 yards! Our #2? Another 600-700 yards.

I cannot wait.

...and HCDB has said our running game will have 2,000 yards...

Honestly, I think somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 yards of total offense is expected, the upside is even greater.

HtownOrange said:
...and HCDB has said our running game will have 2,000 yards... Honestly, I think somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 yards of total offense is expected, the upside is even greater.

Yep. Agree. That 5.7 yards per game was in our semi-dysfunctional 2015 offense.

Just one more follow-up:

If you look at avg yds per carry with RBs with over 100 attempts, the list goes like this:

Cook, FSU 7.38
Hood, UNC 6.68
Fredericks, SYR 5.67
Gallman, CLEM 5.4

And coming out of camp, he's our #2

LeMoyneCuse said:
7,000 yards of total offense is 583 yards per regular reason game. I can't even start to wrap my head around this.

I've been watching Baylor games on YouTube (because I can't stand watching baseball on TV and finished Stranger Things already) and this system is bonkers.

It honestly feels like they have the cheat codes to offensive football. WVU held them to back to back 3 and outs and it felt like a miracle.

It's going to be fun.

I've been watching Baylor games on YouTube (because I can't stand watching baseball on TV and finished Stranger Things already) and this system is bonkers.

It honestly feels like they have the cheat codes to offensive football. WVU held them to back to back 3 and outs and it felt like a miracle.

It's going to be fun.
Not to get too far off topic but...Did you like "Stranger Things"? Any word on a second season?

Not to get too far off topic but...Did you like "Stranger Things"? Any word on a second season?

I did. Not usually a fan of horror type shows - but this one had enough nostalgia and "goonies" that it roped me in. Very well done. I think season 2 hasn't been announced yet, but the creators have talked about it.

I'm also hooked on "The Night Of" on HBO. So good.

Until football season ;)

Garrett_TD23 said:
I'm curious, who is the #1 RB?

The spring depth chart had Strickland over Fredericks. I think both play.