Virginia Game Thread... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game Thread...

Several utter bs calls. Never should have been brought back, nothing but problems n officials calling this wrong more often than not. Going to have to quickly change how 'push' calls if this gimmick sticks this year

really a lot of whining still going on from the faithful and the orange themselves. bit surprising.
humorous coming from the UVA fanbase that is still whining a year later about Solomon 's soft push.

really a lot of whining still going on from the faithful and the orange themselves. bit surprising.

Ehhh not really. The whining about the dive has been quite consistent all year from pretty much every fanbase. Almost all the bad calls in this game were not dive related so I am surprised that is what the article focused on. Nothing too bad with the dive that game unless you count the one on Bomberry where he pushed a guy lightly in the back and that guy then took three steps and dove directly towards the goal mouth and only then did they throw the flag on Bomberry and did not penalize the UVA guy at all. Yeah I guess I'm still whining about that one now that you mention it.

humorous coming from the UVA fanbase that is still whining a year later about Solomon 's soft push.

Are UVA fans really still talking about that somewhere?

Yep, they are quite sensitive, their Sabre site always good for some chuckles as they flip back n forth on Lars quarter by quarter . At least we wait until game end to alter takes on Desko lol

Ehhh not really. The whining about the dive has been quite consistent all year from pretty much every fanbase. Almost all the bad calls in this game were not dive related so I am surprised that is what the article focused on. Nothing too bad with the dive that game unless you count the one on Bomberry where he pushed a guy lightly in the back and that guy then took three steps and dove directly towards the goal mouth and only then did they throw the flag on Bomberry and did not penalize the UVA guy at all. Yeah I guess I'm still whining about that one now that you mention it.
well, i am speaking about all the ref whining from the time the game started until now. including now a full fledged article, interviewing the wrong guy who would have a complaint about a push/crease call. he even admits he did it. then yet another comment below the article post about the reffing.
the bomberry push was laughable. refs miss calls. it didn't determine the outcome of the game here.

well, i am speaking about all the ref whining from the time the game started until now. including now a full fledged article, interviewing the wrong guy who would have a complaint about a push/crease call. he even admits he did it. then yet another comment below the article post about the reffing.
the bomberry push was laughable. refs miss calls. it didn't determine the outcome of the game here.

Actually a "laughable" penalty to take UVA from 1 man down where they had been struggling all day to two men down where almost every team gets an automatic goal could have very well effected the outcome of the game in a 1 goal contest. Especially when they didn't penalize the illegal dive on the UVA player that followed the push. That certainly had an impact on the game. Refs do miss calls, but there is usually a better argument for why they made their decision than there was on that play. Oh woe is me a single person on a Syracuse lacrosse fan message board makes a single comment about the refs in the wake of an article written about calls during a cuse lacrosse game?? Madness! Surely that is a line no other team message board has crossed!

I see it's impacted you enough to make multiple posts on the topic. Perhaps you should ignore the articles and posts on this site discussing bad or blown calls.

This is probably the worst site to attempt to address your surprise on the topic of SU folks complaining about blown calls.

For this topic, you're probably better off discussing it on another site.

Actually a "laughable" penalty to take UVA from 1 man down where they had been struggling all day to two men down where almost every team gets an automatic goal could have very well effected the outcome of the game in a 1 goal contest. Especially when they didn't penalize the illegal dive on the UVA player that followed the push. That certainly had an impact on the game. Refs do miss calls, but there is usually a better argument for why they made their decision than there was on that play. Oh woe is me a single person on a Syracuse lacrosse fan message board makes a single comment about the refs in the wake of an article written about calls during a cuse lacrosse game?? Madness! Surely that is a line no other team message board has crossed!
bad calls:
vs. 'cuse
delay of game on voigt
pass ruled a shot early on a trail check
bomberry push

vs. uva
3 first half faceoffs on cuse/withholding
greco hit
seems pretty even.

and off the bomberry push, the player both took off and landed behind the goal --- not an illegal dive per the rules. giving you the benefit of the doubt, you probably just misremembered it.

i noted several times i commented b/c there's been a ton of referee whining, during and after the game until now, including in the local media. the last one was simply just that.

bad calls:
vs. 'cuse
delay of game on voigt
pass ruled a shot early on a trail check
bomberry push

vs. uva
3 first half faceoffs on cuse/withholding
greco hit
seems pretty even.

and off the bomberry push, the player both took off and landed behind the goal --- not an illegal dive per the rules. giving you the benefit of the doubt, you probably just misremembered it.

i noted several times i commented b/c there's been a ton of referee whining, during and after the game until now, including in the local media. the last one was simply just that.

You are moving the goalposts a bit by bringing in these other calls when you started out just talking about the bomberry play and how it "didn't determine the outcome of the game" but I guess I will indulge. They call that hit that Greco had on Kennedy in today's game. I am not a fan of it but they do. They call it because of the run up to the player. I think Porter was the real bonehead on that play throwing a suicide pass like that but Greco knows as well as anyone that they don't let you charge an unsuspecting player and hit him as hard as possible in today's game. That's not referee incompetence. That is today's rules. If he didn't want a call he should have gone for his stick, which he had plenty of time to execute and time up properly. Personally not a fan of how that is called today but that is in a different category than bad calls by refs. If youre talking about a different hit that is my mistake.

As for the faceoffs I am not sure about the specifics of what you are referring to but I do recall one where, if the officials called what I think they were calling, we got away with a dive. There was another where Lars was saying it was a dive but Phaup had inside position and did appear to actually be pushed in the back. Not sure if there was a withholding move by our guys that wasn't called but I will take your word on that. But if you want to play the "pretty even" game I would say our faceoff no-calls were more than cancelled out by the no calls on Ryan Conrad who on multiple occasions both used his free hand to push off during loose balls and warded off so bad that he literally took the stick out of Austin Fuscos hands by pinning it against his back.

As for the dive after the bomberry play you may be right. I cant access footage now but I remembered him diving more at GLE or a little bit above, but it could be my orange goggles. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that, but it does not change the fact that Porter made the save and the diving guy landed in the crease so it would have been our ball going the other way on a clear if the refs hadn't decided to throw a flag after the guy had taken three steps and completed his dive.

At the very least I appreciate you for not being a trash talker and actually discussing the game instead of dissing the other team. That's what I'm here to do as well.

don't believe i'm moving the goalposts. was responding & exactly to my point about how there were plenty of missed calls both ways after additional calls were made both ways.
i actually did see my friend rosie's posts on conrad, forgot about that.
you're right about possession on the dive... and to me that was the one egregious call, syracuse runs that penalty out.
i wholeheartedly disagree with you about greco's hit, he held up, stopped, etc. but i'm sure we'll never agree on that one. the reason why the call was made by the far side official was he thought (from 35 yards away) that he saw a hit to the head (refs explaining to the scorer). likely because kennedy's head snapped back, and there was probably a collision noise. meanwhile, his positioning was exactly on an angle where he couldn't see whether there was head contact or not.
on faceoffs, that was a little bit of a dive probably, but there was enough of a runup on his back it probably should've been called. on 3 occasions in the first half phaup should've been whistled. 3 that i saw. 2 when he couldn't pop it out of his stick first time, while running --- and one where he rotated around about 4 or 5 steps with it clamped. meanwhile uva got whistled for 4, though most or all were different/early and probably correct... syracuse scored on 1 of the 2 manups.

as i said. refs miss calls. they missed a number both ways, it wasn't a well reffed game.

don't believe i'm moving the goalposts. was responding & exactly to my point about how there were plenty of missed calls both ways after additional calls were made both ways.
i actually did see my friend rosie's posts on conrad, forgot about that.
you're right about possession on the dive... and to me that was the one egregious call, syracuse runs that penalty out.
i wholeheartedly disagree with you about greco's hit, he held up, stopped, etc. but i'm sure we'll never agree on that one. the reason why the call was made by the far side official was he thought (from 35 yards away) that he saw a hit to the head (refs explaining to the scorer). likely because kennedy's head snapped back, and there was probably a collision noise. meanwhile, his positioning was exactly on an angle where he couldn't see whether there was head contact or not.
on faceoffs, that was a little bit of a dive probably, but there was enough of a runup on his back it probably should've been called. on 3 occasions in the first half phaup should've been whistled. 3 that i saw. 2 when he couldn't pop it out of his stick first time, while running --- and one where he rotated around about 4 or 5 steps with it clamped. meanwhile uva got whistled for 4, though most or all were different/early and probably correct... syracuse scored on 1 of the 2 manups.

as i said. refs miss calls. they missed a number both ways, it wasn't a well reffed game.

Yeah I guess we definitely won't about Greco, although we probably would agree that it would be nice if hits like that weren't penalized when the actual hit itself is clean. On that one there is easy to find footage. He completely charges out to meet kennedy for the hit. The only "holding up" and "stopping" he does is when he makes impact with Kennedy. He sprints out to meet the unsuspecting Kennedy at the point of impact, taking at least 4 or 5 steps in his direction before making the hit. They call that every time regardless of how clean or not the actual hit is (in this case the actual hit was clean). There are numerous examples of officials doing this. If he wanted to not get penalized he should have just slapped it out of his stick which he had the angle to do. Instead he tried to make a statement, knowing the repercussions. In the good ol days that would be fine but not with the player safety oriented rules today. Unfortunately we don't make the rules.

3:40 of this video. Yeah your UVA goggles are on a little too tight if you think that he "held up" or "stopped" in any way on that one.

like i siad, don't agree!! but we'll agree on that much, at least. he had to run to get there, then turned to make sure it was :clean", didn't try to run thru kennedy with his shoulder, nevermind a crosscheck, etc..
the call was for a hit to the head. the other officials went to the far side as the other 2 didn't have a flag on it. had that guy not thought it was a head shot, good chance it may not get called. kennedy had 3 or more steps, not zero (not that he could've gotten out of the way)...
anyway, these hits aren't ALWAYS called, but certainly will be more often than not. (just like pushes into the crease!!!).

like i siad, don't agree!! but we'll agree on that much, at least. he had to run to get there, then turned to make sure it was :clean", didn't try to run thru kennedy with his shoulder, nevermind a crosscheck, etc..
the call was for a hit to the head. the other officials went to the far side as the other 2 didn't have a flag on it. had that guy not thought it was a head shot, good chance it may not get called. kennedy had 3 or more steps, not zero (not that he could've gotten out of the way)...
anyway, these hits aren't ALWAYS called, but certainly will be more often than not. (just like pushes into the crease!!!).

Whatever. It’s over. It happens.

Now hope we both put it on UNC, Duke, and ND, and meet in the ACC final.

Justice for all.

Any player lining up an unsuspecting opponent should expect to get flagged the way today's games are officiated.

That's not how I learned the game 30 years ago but that's the reality of today's game. They don't want hits on "defenseless" players.

Greco's hit was perfectly clean and completely legal before 5-7 years ago.

The hit to the head Voigt took on the doorstep during an unsettled situation (SU fast break?) was way worse than the hit on Kennedy.

For the record I think the call they focused on in the article where kraus was pushed in the crease was the right one and a really stupid call to single out in an article given all the other ones in the game. Almost everyone on this board feels the same way I believe and has instead been "whining" about other calls. Whoever wrote that was probably just trying to continue the trend of complaining about the dive that every team coach and pundit in the nation is doing right now. We are still watching different film on the Greco hit but agree to disagree. Good luck to the Wahoos. Lets show those other boring teams how the game is meant to be played the rest of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom