Virginia rolling Miami | Syracusefan.com

Virginia rolling Miami

cuseguy

Living Legend
Va 43-27 midway second

Virginia knocking down a lot of 3s; Miami scoreless from 3

Virginia is pretty good, Miami not so much.

jordoo said:
Virginia is pretty good, Miami not so much.

We squeaked by Miami twice and Miami just beat BC by 27, but I expect another close one Saturday.

This will be a tough game for us. Their guards are bigger and are shooting better from 3. They pretty much match us for size inside, but they have no back-up for Tobey at center, so using Rak and Baye effectively, should give us an advantage there. They don't have anyone with Grant and CJ's numbers, so that should be exploited.

I think we are definitely better and should win - provided we take control. Note: I doubt playing stall ball for half the game will get it done.

UVA's interior defense is very good. It's hard to dribble drive and penetrate. You have to be able to hit from the perimeter...and Miami can't hit anything from outside. Cooney is going to have to make some shots for us and CJ has got to have his mid range game on.

Miami's zone sucks...we need to stop the dribble penetration and not cheat on the ball in the post. UVA runs the drive and dish for a three to a tee. We should be able to win the war of the boards. It's going to come down to making enough shots to open the lane for Tyler to make plays.

It's going to be a war...

This will be a tough game for us. Their guards are bigger and are shooting better from 3. They pretty much match us for size inside, but they have no back-up for Tobey at center, so using Rak and Baye effectively, should give us an advantage there. They don't have anyone with Grant and CJ's numbers, so that should be exploited.

I think we are definitely better and should win - provided we take control. Note: I doubt playing stall ball for half the game will get it done.

Tobey, while a starter, is only 7th on the team in minutes per game. Gill, the first big off the bench, has been coming on lately (double figures in 4 of last 7, 9 points tonight). We rotate 4 guys through the two spots down low all getting 12+ minutes per game. I wouldn't say there's been a game yet where we've really been at a disadvantage down low.

UVa is playing great right now. We're clearly not playing great. Maybe things will reverse themselves on Saturday. We're due for a breakout game and UVa is due for a Tennessee-like performance.

Miami's zone sucks...we need to stop the dribble penetration and not cheat on the ball in the post. UVA runs the drive and dish for a three to a tee. We should be able to win the war of the boards. It's going to come down to making enough shots to open the lane for Tyler to make plays.

It's going to be a war...

The rebounding matchup will be key and interesting to watch. Syracuse is 7th in the country in offensive rebounding percentage, while we are 2nd in the country in defensive rebounding %. Strength vs. strength.

Tobey, while a starter, is only 7th on the team in minutes per game. Gill, the first big off the bench, has been coming on lately (double figures in 4 of last 7, 9 points tonight). We rotate 4 guys through the two spots down low all getting 12+ minutes per game. I wouldn't say there's been a game yet where we've really been at a disadvantage down low.

Like your comments. What do you think will be the outcome?

I have watched uva play several times this season.
They have 2 legitimate offensive threats (Harris, Brogdon) and the only way they're going to beat us is if one or both of them go off from three.
They have beaten exactly 2 tourney-worthy teams (Pitt, UNC).

Curious - if you guys were to set the line, what would you make it?

Also, what do you expect the actual line on the game to be?

Like your comments. What do you think will be the outcome?

I think it's going to be a really interesting game to watch from a matchup perspective. I think your length in the zone could give Brogdon problems. As a 2 guard at 6-5, he's used to being able to get some points driving to the hoop but I don't think that's going to work for him Saturday. We've shown some sets against the zone where he's set up in the high post, and if that's the case I'd rather see him setting others up - either Mitchell down low or hitting someone on the wing for a shot. Alternatively we could flash Gill (good range for a big and can take it strong to the hole) or Tobey (surprisingly good range for a 6-11 center, big enough for length to maybe not cause as many problems) into the high post. I suspect we'll try some combination of those looks to see if we can get anything working. Assuming we're not shooting lights out (when, like most strong defensive teams, we become very tough to beat), I think offensive rebounds and second chance points will be very key for us. This is the best offensive rebounding team we've had under Bennett (58th in the country in offensive rebound %), and that's one weakness of the zone so I have hope there.

On the other end, I expect we'll find a way to control Fair somehow. We've held TJ Warren to 4 points (avg 23), Jabari Parker to 8 (avg 19), Patterson from Pitt to 10 (avg 17), etc. For Syracuse to be successful and ultimately win, I think someone (Cooney??) needs to get hot from the 3 point range. If you take a look at our most recent 3 losses (i.e. the losses where we weren't just completely offensively inept), Green Bay (7-14), Tennessee (11-18), and Duke (10-22) really lit us up from beyond the arc. I think you'll need a similar performance as a team to get the win.

Ultimately I think our depth and versatility will allow us to attack the zone in a number of different ways until we find something that works (relatively speaking) and secure a close win. Something tells me that at least one time this season though Joe Harris is going to go off - he had 36 in a late season win against #3 Duke last year and senior night against the #4 team feels like a very similar spot. If he were to do that (and I'm not predicting this) we'd be looking at a larger margin of victory. Alternatively, if either someone gets hot from 3 for you, or you somehow start forcing turnovers (which would prevent us from getting in an offensive rhythm and allow for some easy looks for you) it could go the other way.

They have 2 legitimate offensive threats (Harris, Brogdon) and the only way they're going to beat us is if one or both of them go off from three.
Man, it's just not in your DNA to extend any respect to us, is it? That's fine. This is the Syracuse board and I am the visitor so I shouldn't take offense at your comments. I only hope that your basketball team takes us as lightly as you are. It is my opinion that we have offensive production at every position. Did you miss Perrantes' perfect shooting night tonight? We may not win on Saturday, but I'll wager that you will come away from the game with more respect for UVA than you have now.

SMU is ranked and very likely going to make the tournament, so that's 3. And I do think we are a little more balanced on offense than you're willing to give us credit for. Brogdon and Harris are our most steady scorers, sure, but every night there are different guys that really step up and help the team win. Tonight it was Perrantes, but sometimes it's Gill, Anderson, Tobey, Mitchell, etc. Take a look at some of our box scores and see for yourself.

That's not really accurate re: the offensive threats. We've had 6 different guys lead the team in scoring in various games. Ignoring Harris and Brogdon, Anderson (6th man) has had games of 23, 16, 16, and 14 points, Gill (7th man) has had games of 19, 18, 15, Perrantes (point guard, 14th nationally in a/to ratio) has had games of 15, 14, 11, and Tobey (center) has had games with 18, 16, 14, and 14 points. Don't confuse balanced scoring and relatively slow tempo with limited offensive threats.

JohnCuse44 said:
Why do we have so many Virgina fans on our board?

They like us?

I think it's going to be a really interesting game to watch from a matchup perspective. I think your length in the zone could give Brogdon problems. As a 2 guard at 6-5, he's used to being able to get some points driving to the hoop but I don't think that's going to work for him Saturday. We've shown some sets against the zone where he's set up in the high post, and if that's the case I'd rather see him setting others up - either Mitchell down low or hitting someone on the wing for a shot. Alternatively we could flash Gill (good range for a big and can take it strong to the hole) or Tobey (surprisingly good range for a 6-11 center, big enough for length to maybe not cause as many problems) into the high post. I suspect we'll try some combination of those looks to see if we can get anything working. Assuming we're not shooting lights out (when, like most strong defensive teams, we become very tough to beat), I think offensive rebounds and second chance points will be very key for us. This is the best offensive rebounding team we've had under Bennett (58th in the country in offensive rebound %), and that's one weakness of the zone so I have hope there.

On the other end, I expect we'll find a way to control Fair somehow. We've held TJ Warren to 4 points (avg 23), Jabari Parker to 8 (avg 19), Patterson from Pitt to 10 (avg 17), etc. For Syracuse to be successful and ultimately win, I think someone (Cooney??) needs to get hot from the 3 point range. If you take a look at our most recent 3 losses (i.e. the losses where we weren't just completely offensively inept), Green Bay (7-14), Tennessee (11-18), and Duke (10-22) really lit us up from beyond the arc. I think you'll need a similar performance as a team to get the win.

Ultimately I think our depth and versatility will allow us to attack the zone in a number of different ways until we find something that works (relatively speaking) and secure a close win. Something tells me that at least one time this season though Joe Harris is going to go off - he had 36 in a late season win against #3 Duke last year and senior night against the #4 team feels like a very similar spot. If he were to do that (and I'm not predicting this) we'd be looking at a larger margin of victory. Alternatively, if either someone gets hot from 3 for you, or you somehow start forcing turnovers (which would prevent us from getting in an offensive rhythm and allow for some easy looks for you) it could go the other way.

appreciate the insight but I think you are really underestimating CJ. Parker is good as is the other two but Fair is a mid range guy, a lefty and a senior. Also the guy you aren't mentioning is Grant and that is the guy who could make life much tougher than you're used to in the post. Rak and Grant are two of the best athletes in the ACC and Grant can take his man to the rim and get to the line. If Rak comes to play we offer 5 options to go with to score. I think it will be a close game as SU tends to play every game that way. You all have been riding high 12 games straight now. Those kinda runs in a decent league are tough to keep going especially when you have played an unbalanced schedule and then a top 5 opponent pops up. I think we take this one late but not without a knock down drag out fight. Should be fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom