Virginia Tailgate Thread Oct. 17th | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tailgate Thread Oct. 17th

Crusty

Living Legend
We have 200 tickets for the game versus Virginia on October 17th held for our group, located in Section 111 rows M-X.

The cost of each ticket is $25. A $2.50 per ticket processing fee and $7 per order charge apply to each order. ($7 order charge waived for customers selecting Print At Home as the ticket delivery method)

You may log in to purchase tickets by following these steps:
1.) Go to http://www.virginiasports.com/gtw
2.) Enter the login information below:

Sign-In ID: syracusefan
Password: orange

You may call the Virginia Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 542-8821 x2 for assistance with using the Group Ticket Window system. However, all orders must be placed online through the Group Ticket Window system to be seated within the group's seating block.

* The deadline for this offer is 10/9/15 (or while supplies last).

Hoping to see you are there!
Go Cuse!
Crusty
We expect a good turnout for this game so be sure to order early.

There are many tailgates at the University Hall, which is about 1.2 miles from the stadium. However, we will be exploring a few other sites closer to the stadium in the spring and will let everyone know the final location at that time. We will be collecting for the spectacular tailgate at the tailgate site. This is not to be missed sports fans!

Scott_Stadium_Seating_Chart.png

Go Cuse!

Last edited:
I thought USF was going to be the big away tailgate ? Or is this just an add on.

I lived in C'ville for six years and spent a lot of time around the stadium -- I don't think there is going to be much available for tailgating too much closer to the stadium. Might need to connect with some other fan bases, like Virginia Tech, to see what they do when they come to town.

I really miss the Schnitzelhaus/Ludwig's that operated within stumbling distance of the stadium. German beer by the liter. My god, it was heaven while we had it.

I lived in C'ville for six years and spent a lot of time around the stadium -- I don't think there is going to be much available for tailgating too much closer to the stadium. Might need to connect with some other fan bases, like Virginia Tech, to see what they do when they come to town.

I really miss the Schnitzelhaus/Ludwig's that operated within stumbling distance of the stadium. German beer by the liter. My god, it was heaven while we had it.
We have been in touch folks on the blog. There are several churches close that we are checking out.

I thought USF was going to be the big away tailgate ? Or is this just an add on.

This one is Fuccillo Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

sto..having UVA and USF back to back will siphon off from each. I was optimistic we would get 150-200 for USF but I'm thinking 100-150 right now. UVA I figure 150-200.

Last edited:
I am a frequent visitor to Charlottesville, VA, because my best friend lives there and I am headed there this weekend in fact. I can likely lend some advice and provide some information about Cville -- mostly food and drink. Craft beer lovers, foodies, late night eaters, and local music lovers will be very happy. The restaurant scene for foodies is probably the best you will find in a small college town with dozens of 4 star and above. There are more restaurants in Cville per capita than anywhere else in the US. Late night food is the best in any town or city in the country and I eat a lot of late night food after drinking while traveling to soak up the booze and ease the hangover. Craft beer isn't the best, but its good and for a town this size is better than you'd expect.

Nightlife:
There are three main areas for nightlife in Cville. First is the downtown pedestrian mall filled with bars and restaurants, mostly semi upscale places. Second is Main Street (also called Mid-town), which is filled with unique shops, but also has some bars and restaurants. Third is "The Corner", which is a bunch of college bars (maybe 10-15) packed into a very small area of a block and a half. Once I turned 35, I stopped going to the corner bars and tend to hang out on the downtown mall.

Craft beer spots:
Beerrun is a world class bottle shop and bar in a strip mall kind of about 2 miles from downtown mall or Main Street. Food there is decent, but there are lots better places for food in Cville. They have about 15 taps all craft and usually something really cool on tap. Tons of bottles in floor to ceiling coolers at discounted prices to go, but they typically charge a small fee to drink bottles there since they charge retail not bar prices for those bottles. Back room has a bunch of Belgians in bottles and Saturday night is Belgian beer night with no capping fee to drink them there.

World of Beer is 2nd best for craft beer/arguably first, is on Main St. and has 500 bottles and 50+ taps of pretty good beer. Its a chain so if you've been to one, you know what to expect. Typically something special on tap and a lot of above average beers.

Whiskey Jar is 3rd best for craft beer and is on the downtown mall. Probably 25 taps at least 5 of which will be darn good, tons of whisky brands including some special stuff. Usually good music on Saturday nights.

Citizen Burger Bar on the downtown mall has a good craft beer list and excellent burgers.

Sedona Taphouse is a 10 minute drive from downtown, but has 50+ taps many of them good.

Timberwood Grill is a good 15 minute drive from downtown, but a decent tap list of 45

Mellow Mushroom is on the corner and has very good beer.

Court Square Tavern I believe still exists from Jefferson's days and is just off the downtown mall. Special selection of bottles, many rare beers, but its in a cellar and is dark and not a real energetic or boisterous drinking spot.

Horse and Hound is on Main Street and has about 10 taps of imports from Europe. Good beer, good English pub food.

Wild Wing Café is on Main Street and has decent beer and tons of TVs for game watching.
BW3 is in a strip mall a 5 minute drive from downtown and less decent beer, still tons of TVs.

There is even an indoor hockey/skating rink on the downtown mall that has 4 taps of decent craft beer.

There are lots of breweries in and around Cville, several of them pretty good. Champion is just outside of downtown a short walk away and makes decent beer and a pretty good IPA. Three Notch'd is just outside of downtown and a very short cab ride and they make good beer. South Street Brewery has been bought by Blue Mountain Brewery and is now making great beer and also hosts guest beers from Blue Mountain and others. Blue Mountain's barrelhouse series of beers is outstanding (Spooky in particular is amazing and I've brought bottles up to NY and people were dying for more). Civilian is on Main Street but a warning, there beer just flat out isn't good but its getting a bit better now with a new brewer.

Hard Liquor(Whiskey and cocktail) spots:
Whiskey Jar on the downtown mall has a great selection of whiskey and bourbon. Laid back hipster crowd.

Millers is on the downtown mall. Dave Matthews played their once a week before hitting it big. Great whiskey and bourbon selection and good live music on weekends. Laid back townie/hipster crowd.

Commonwealth Restaurant and Skybar is on the downtown mall and has an awesome rooftop bar with good cocktails. This is where the players and divas go, but the rooftop is pretty cool.

Blue light Grill is on the downtown mall and has great cocktails and a raw bar with good oysters if you are early. Yuppie players and divas.

Maya is on Main Street and has good cocktails, decent craft beer and good high end food. Cool, laid back crowd.

Zocalo on the downtown mall has good margaritas and other good cocktails. Yuppies and packs of girls out on the town for the night.

Bang tapas restaurant, just off the downtown mall on South St., has very good cocktails. More a restaurant with good cocktails than a bar.

High end food: (Other than Ivy Inn, Fleurie and Alley Light, upscale does not mean expensive in Cville. Very reasonable prices on food because there is so much competition.)
The Ivy Inn -- most upscale, most expensive, best food. Classics on white linen
Fleurie -- high end French, very good, very expensive
Alley Light -- excellent new American/French, great for seafood.
Tavola -- high end Italian, not a spaghetti and meatballs place. Awesome scallops.
Orzo -- Italian , Mediterranean high end
The Shebeen -- African upscale
Maya -- upscale southern comfort food.
Whiskey Jar -- similar to Maya
Commonwealth -- new American
Zocalo -- new american
Mas -- tapas
Public is on Main St. and an oyster and raw bar along with a very good seafood restaurant that has a very good selection of oysters sold per piece.
Rocksalt -- Another great oyster bar and seafood place.
Citizen burger bar is upscale somewhat expensive but very good burgers

Cheap but great food:
Ace BBQ: Just off the downtown mall maybe 1/4 mile away. Their smoked meats are incredible, generally served on buiscuits as a sandwich.
Mel's Diner -- On Main St. -- good fried chicken, greasy spoon.
Wayside -- incredible fried chicken to go from a gas station
The Korner --not at the corner, its on Cherry St. in a bad part of town, but the best burger in Cville. Get it to go.
La Michoacana--authentic Mexican street tacos, like tongue, but also normal stuff like beef and carnitas.
Al Carbon -- Peruvian rotisserie chicken. So moist, great and very healthy.

Late night food:
Marco & Luca -- on the corner. open til 3 or 4am. Chinese pork dumplings that are awesome for like $4/order. I literally can eat 75. They only sell those or a noodle dish and all to go.
Littlejohns- on the corner. Awesome sandwiches, open 24 hours.
The White Spot -- on the corner. greasy Burgers and fries, but the "gusburger" is awesome with a fried egg on top.
Benny DeLuca's -- on Main St. NY style pizza place.
Occasional foodtruck on the downtown mall.
Plenty of Wafflehouses, Ihops and Denny's open 24 hours.

Last edited:
If you love craft beer and are flying into Richmond and renting a car or are just willing to drive an hour, the best craft beer bar in the country is in Richmond and is called Mekong. 100 taps, all incredible in every style you could want. Brewers do one time brews and send them just to this place of everywhere in the country due to the connections the owner has. Truly amazing taplist. There also are a couple breweries in Richmond that are very good, including Strangeways (specializes in sours and has about 20 of them on tap at all times) and Hardywood (barrel aged Belgian singles, doubles and triples are amazing). Capital Ale House is another great craft beer spot, but at least a full notch below Mekong. Mekong is a place you have to hit once in your life at least, like Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver and Hop Cat in Grand Rapids, MI, and Thirsty Monk in Asheville, NC and Mr. Beery's in Sarasota, FL.

I am a frequent visitor to Charlottesville, VA, because my best friend lives there and I am headed there this weekend in fact. I can likely lend some advice and provide some information about Cville -- mostly food and drink. Craft beer lovers, foodies, late night eaters, and local music lovers will be very happy. The restaurant scene for foodies is probably the best you will find in a small college town with dozens of 4 star and above. There are more restaurants in Cville per capita than anywhere else in the US. Late night food is the best in any town or city in the country and I eat a lot of late night food after drinking while traveling to soak up the booze and ease the hangover. Craft beer isn't the best, but its good and for a town this size is better than you'd expect.

Nightlife:
There are three main areas for nightlife in Cville. First is the downtown pedestrian mall filled with bars and restaurants, mostly semi upscale places. Second is Main Street, which is filled with unique shops, but also has some bars and restaurants. Third is "The Corner", which is a bunch of college bars (maybe 10-15) packed into a very small area of a block and a half. Once I turned 35, I stopped going to the corner bars and tend to hang out on the downtown mall.

Craft beer spots:
Beerrun is a world class bottle shop and bar in a strip mall kind of about 2 miles from downtown mall or Main Street. Food there is decent, but there are lots better places for food in Cville. They have about 15 taps all craft and usually something really cool on tap. Tons of bottles in floor to ceiling coolers at discounted prices to go, but they typically charge a small fee to drink bottles there since they charge retail not bar prices for those bottles. Back room has a bunch of Belgians in bottles and Saturday night is Belgian beer night with no capping fee to drink them there.

World of Beer is 2nd best for craft beer/arguably first, is on Main St. and has 500 bottles and 50+ taps of pretty good beer. Its a chain so if you've been to one, you know what to expect. Typically something special on tap and a lot of above average beers.

Whiskey Jar is 3rd best for craft beer and is on the downtown mall. Probably 25 taps at least 5 of which will be darn good, tons of whisky brands including some special stuff. Usually good music on Saturday nights.

Citizen Burger Bar on the downtown mall has a good craft beer list and excellent burgers.

Sedona Taphouse is a 10 minute drive from downtown, but has 50+ taps many of them good.

Timberwood Grill is a good 15 minute drive from downtown, but a decent tap list of 45

Mellow Mushroom is on the corner and has very good beer.

Court Square Tavern I believe still exists from Jefferson's days and is just off the downtown mall. Special selection of bottles, many rare beers, but its in a cellar and is dark and not a real energetic or boisterous drinking spot.

Horse and Hound is on Main Street and has about 10 taps of imports from Europe. Good beer, good English pub food.

Wild Wing Café is on Main Street and has decent beer and tons of TVs for game watching.
BW3 is in a strip mall a 5 minute drive from downtown and less decent beer, still tons of TVs.

There is even an indoor hockey/skating rink on the downtown mall that has 4 taps of decent craft beer.

There are lots of breweries in and around Cville, several of them pretty good. Champion is just outside of downtown a short walk away and makes decent beer and a pretty good IPA. Three Notch'd is just outside of downtown and a very short cab ride and they make good beer. South Street Brewery has been bought by Blue Mountain Brewery and is now making great beer and also hosts guest beers from Blue Mountain and others. Blue Mountain's barrelhouse series of beers is outstanding (Spooky in particular is amazing and I've brought bottles up to NY and people were dying for more). Civilian is on Main Street but a warning, there beer just flat out isn't good but its getting a bit better now with a new brewer.

Hard Liquor(Whiskey and cocktail) spots:
Whiskey Jar on the downtown mall has a great selection of whiskey and bourbon. Laid back hipster crowd.

Millers is on the downtown mall. Dave Matthews played their once a week before hitting it big. Great whiskey and bourbon selection and good live music on weekends. Laid back townie/hipster crowd.

Commonwealth Restaurant and Skybar is on the downtown mall and has an awesome rooftop bar with good cocktails. This is where the players and divas go, but the rooftop is pretty cool.

Blue light Grill is on the downtown mall and has great cocktails and a raw bar with good oysters if you are early. Yuppie players and divas.

Maya is on Main Street and has good cocktails, decent craft beer and good high end food. Cool, laid back crowd.

Zocalo on the downtown mall has good margaritas and other good cocktails. Yuppies and packs of girls out on the town for the night.

Bang tapas restaurant, just off the downtown mall on South St., has very good cocktails. More a restaurant with good cocktails than a bar.

High end food:
The Ivy Inn -- most upscale, most expensive, best food. Classics on white linen
Fleurie -- high end French, very good, very expensive
Alley Light -- excellent new American/French, great for seafood.
Tavola -- high end Italian, not a spaghetti and meatballs place. Awesome scallops.
Orzo -- Italian , Mediterranean high end
The Shebeen -- African upscale
Maya -- upscale southern comfort food.
Whiskey Jar -- similar to Maya
Commonwealth -- new American
Zocalo -- new american
Mas -- tapas
Public is on Main St. and an oyster and raw bar along with a very good seafood restaurant that has a very good selection of oysters sold per piece.
Rocksalt -- Another great oyster bar and seafood place.
Citizen burger bar is upscale somewhat expensive but very good burgers

Cheap but great food:
Ace BBQ: Just off the downtown mall maybe 1/4 mile away. Their smoked meats are incredible, generally served on buiscuits as a sandwich.
Mel's Diner -- On Main St. -- good fried chicken, greasy spoon.
Wayside -- incredible fried chicken to go from a gas station
The Corner --not at the corner, its on Cherry St. in a bad part of town, but the best burger in Cville. Get it to go.
La Michoacana--authentic Mexican street tacos, like tongue, but also normal stuff like beef and carnitas.
Al Carbon -- Peruvian rotisserie chicken. So moist, great and very healthy.

Late night food:
Marco & Luca -- on the corner. open til 3 or 4am. Chinese pork dumplings that are awesome for like $4/order. I literally can eat 75. They only sell those or a noodle dish and all to go.
Littlejohns- on the corner. Awesome sandwiches, open 24 hours.
The White Spot -- on the corner. greasy Burgers and fries, but the "gusburger" is awesome with a fried egg on top.
Benny DeLuca's -- on Main St. NY style pizza place.
Occasional foodtruck on the downtown mall.
Plenty of Wafflehouses, Ihops and Denny's open 24 hours.
Great work thanks! TexanMark might want to add this to his tailgate guide.

My personal itinerary for the UVA game trip, just so you know what I consider to be a good plan and very doable given close proximity of night spots:

Friday night get in at 5 pm or so. Hit Public Seafood and Raw Bar for raw oyster happy hour at $1 each til 6:30 pm. Then hit World of Beer close by for a few, then hit South Street Brewery, Three Notch'd Brewery or Champion Brewery for a couple there. Then hit Citizen Burger bar for a beer or two and a burger if I'm still hungry. Then hit the Whiskey Jar for some more good beers and to catch some decent music til the bars close. Then if I haven't eaten since oysters, I'll head to the corner and grab a gusburger at the White Spot, a sandwich at Littlejohns or dumplings at Marco & Luca's then call it a night.

Saturday before the game breakfast/lunch -- You absolutely have got to hit Ace BBQ for a Tommy Pastrami (house smoked pastrami slices on top of a biscuit then topped with a sunny side up egg and cheese). You pop that yoke and its impossible to set the sandwich down before you gobble the whole thing up.

Saturday after the game assuming its a day game, I'll hit Sedona Taproom and maybe grab some food and beers there and then hit a different brewery. by 10 pm, hit Beerrun for Belgian beer night. Probably finish at Whiskey Jar again and then on the late night food again.

Sunday -- get back to Ace for another Tommy Pastrami. Its that good.

Last edited:
My personal itinerary for the UVA game trip, just so you know what I consider to be a good plan and very doable given close proximity of night spots:

Friday night get in at 5 pm or so. Hit Public Seafood and Raw Bar for raw oyster happy hour at $1 each til 7pm. Then hit World of Beer close by for a few, then hit South Street Brewery, Three Notch'd Brewery or Champion Brewery for a couple there. Then hit Citizen Burger bar for a beer or two and a burger if I'm still hungry. Then hit the Whiskey Jar for some more good beers and to catch some decent music til the bars close. Then if I haven't eaten since oysters, I'll head to the corner and grab a gusburger at the White Spot, a sandwich at Littlejohns or dumplings at Marco & Luca's then call it a night.

Saturday before the game breakfast/lunch -- You absolutely have got to hit Ace BBQ for a Tommy Pastrami (house smoked pastrami slices on top of a biscuit then topped with a sunny side up egg and cheese). You pop that yoke and its impossible to set the sandwich down before you gobble the whole thing up.

Saturday after the game assuming its a day game, I'll hit Sedona Taproom and maybe grab some food and beers there and then hit a different brewery. by 10 pm, hit Beerrun for Belgian beer night. Probably finish at Whiskey Jar again and then on the late night food again.

Sunday -- get back to Ace for another Tommy Pastrami. Its that good.
I assume you have your designated driver all lined up. If I were to attempt that schedule I would also need to be accompanied by an ER doctor. :vomit:

I won't be getting tickets with the Fine Mess group but I will almost certainly attend the game. I can't wait for it.
We need to meet you...please reconsider.

Brother-in-law works at the UVa medical center and a good friend's daughter got her PhD from UVa and settled in C'ville. Expect we'll have at least 8 at this one!

We need to meet you...please reconsider.

If there is a tailgate, I will make every effort I can to attend. I unfortunately missed the Wake Forest one this past year because a couple of people I went with had a late start. I live 30 minutes from UVA so it shouldn't be a problem this time. Because of my close proximity, my father has a close friend, who is a real rich guy, and he has a box at UVA so I will most likely be watching with him in there.

If there is a tailgate, I will make every effort I can to attend. I unfortunately missed the Wake Forest one this past year because a couple of people I went with had a late start. I live 30 minutes from UVA so it shouldn't be a problem this time. Because of my close proximity, my father has a close friend, who is a real rich guy, and he has a box at UVA so I will most likely be watching with him in there.
Is the box large enough to accommodate the Fine tailgate crew? I'm thinking yes would be a great answer...

The Corner --not at the corner, its on Cherry St. in a bad part of town, but the best burger in Cville. Get it to go.

Charlottesville has a bad part of town?
I've only been between the Omni and campus and back... but for some reason I envisioned the whole area as a form of Pleasantville.
Then again, that's what I thought when I moved to North Jersey :)

I've only been between the Omni and campus and back... but for some reason I envisioned the whole area as a form of Pleasantville.
Oh, yes. It's the streets off University Avenue (both sides) between the Downtown Mall and the University. AMOF, the Omni is in an area that used to be called Vinegar Hill and it was the location of, ummm, ahh, let's just say "the red light district" of the early 1900's. We mention it in one of our songs. ;)

I assume you have your designated driver all lined up. If I were to attempt that schedule I would also need to be accompanied by an ER doctor. :vomit:

The beauty of Cville is its all a short walk. No driver needed.

My friend who lives in Cary wants me to come to NC state think ...so I have to choose between the three.

My friend who lives in Cary wants me to come to NC state think ...so I have to choose between the three.
NC State is a good tailgate as well. Can't go wrong with any of them,

Most people I know that have attended UVA call it or consider it to be the "Land of the Beautiful People". There are plenty of those and lots of money there, too. That stretch from the Omni to campus along Main St. is very nice and there aren't any reasons to be concerned along that area. If you were to take a left from Main St. onto Roosevelt Brown near the Hampton Inn and walk about 1/4 - 1/2 mile, you'd be in a pretty rough area. It isn't safe to walk through at night and I'm a 6'4" 260# guy. The Korner, the burger place I mentioned, is in that bad part of town.

UVA! Gonna be A LOT of Orange at this one!(Also NC State, should be tons of Orange at both, like me!)

Also if you prefer a game that we should win...

The best pick for winability and atmosphere (Cuse fans, UVA isn't gonna look good going into this one.) is UVA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom